• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

NYC Bans Flavored Cigars

woodbm

Drink a little drink, smoke a little smoke
Reaction score
link

Council Bans Flavored Tobacco

by Courtney Gross
October 15, 2009

Snuffing out cherry-flavored cigarillos and cookie dough laced cigars, the City Council banned the sale of flavored tobacco products Wednesday just weeks after the federal government took flavored cigarettes off of shelves nationwide.

Often found behind the counter in glitzy, fluorescent colored wrappers and sometimes near candy, these cigars, chewing tobaccos and cigarettes have been laced with child-friendly flavors to get kids addicted early, said City Council Speaker Christine Quinn. City officials hope getting this type of tobacco product off shelves will keep kids from starting smoking.

The council also approved legislation, which allows developers to extend permits at stalled construction sites in exchange for keeping sites secure and safe.
Putting Out Flavor

Just weeks after the Food and Drug Administration banned the sale of flavored cigarettes, officials already feared tobacco companies were ready to take a different tack. Instead of cigarettes, these companies could start marketing their flavored products as cigars, effectively circumventing the country's new anti-flavored agenda.

The City Council said yesterday it wouldn't happen here.

Going a step beyond the federal government, the council included not only flavored cigarettes in its ban, but also chewing tobacco, flavored cigars and cigarillos -- a small version of a cigar. These products are big tobacco's latest attempt to garner new customers, specifically young adults who are attracted to the wide variety of taste and aroma, said council officials.

Though overall tobacco use has declined in the last five years, the percentage of students who smoke only cigars and cigarillos has tripled since 2001 from 5 to 14 percent, Quinn said. She added a study from the American Cancer Society showed 90 percent of smokers begin at or before age 19.

Given the look, taste and smell of these flavored products, Quinn added, the tobacco industry couldn't be aiming for any customer other than kids and young adults.

Holding a small pink cigarillo in her hand, Quinn said, "That looks like a lip gloss. Don't tell me that's not targeted for a young girl."

The bill's sponsor, Councilmember Joel Rivera, said these brands are the latest rendition of Joe Camel -- the R. J. Reynolds character allegedly aimed at kids who was banned in the 1990s.

The bill (Intro 433-A) was approved by a vote of 46 to 1 with Councilmember Lewis Fidler dissenting.

While admitting he smoked a grape cigar from time to time, Fidler said the law was written too broadly, and there was no evidence that people start smoking by opting for flavored tobacco. It is illegal already, he added, to sell these products to kids.

"If we wanted to truly affect the market for young people, we would tax it, and we would make the tax significant enough to make an economic disincentive for it to be used for blunts or any other purpose," said Fidler.

The city's health advocates applauded the legislation, saying these flavored products attempt to make smoking appear sexy to children.

Anyone who violates the law will be subject to a fine of between $250 and $2,000.

What does this mean of ACID cigars? Where will I get my favorite flavored White Owls...when I need my pineapple fix?

Naw they'll go on the Path to Jersey City to get their fix!

I find it amazing, the smoke screen these guys put up.

Often found behind the counter in glitzy, fluorescent colored wrappers and sometimes near candy, these cigars, chewing tobaccos and cigarettes have been laced with child-friendly flavors to get kids addicted early, said City Council Speaker Christine Quinn. City officials hope getting this type of tobacco product off shelves will keep kids from starting smoking.

That is complete and utter BS. This is nothing but a powergrab to further entrench the big players in tobacco. Namely, Philip Morris. I'd be surprised if this regulation outlaws SNUS, Phillip Morris' smokeless tobacco product. It has nothing to do with the children. If they were truly concerned about kids buying the stuff, do it like liquor and only sell it at establishments where you need to be 18+ to enter.

Well fellow BOTLs, they are now coming for us.

That is some crazy legislation happening there! So let me get this straight, all SKOAL flavored dip cannot be sold anymore? Because it's flavored too?

Hawaii just had a hike on taxes of tobacco products to 50% which will put local tobacconists out of business, so I'm not sure which is the lesser of 2 evils.

My last rant..........why would somebody want grape flavored buds? What was wrong with the taste originally?
unsure.gif
sign.gif

The local B&M in San Diego thought those cigars were banned here too moving forward. Djarum is banned now everywhere, right?

The local B&M in San Diego thought those cigars were banned here too moving forward. Djarum is banned now everywhere, right?

The Djarum cigarettes are. They make djarum "cigars" now, which are basically the same thing only with a tobacco wrapper. The FDA ban only applies to cigarettes (paper wrappers).

If you're a shop owner, you may take a suspicious view of anything at this point. I was having a conversation with the owner of my local shop of choice and he expressed that he got stuck with a ton of stock he couldn't do anything with. He couldn't sell it. He couldn't return it. So it was just sitting in the back room taking up space until he could figure out what to do with it.

Remember that the shop is in the very center of Harvard yard where it's been since the 1800's so he carried pretty much everything you could imagine to accommodate people ranging from green undergrads, to grad students and professors to the businesspeople who walk by on their way to and from the Harvard Square transit station. He simply doesn't trust that he's not going to get screwed over again with the little cigars.

He's not alone. I haven't seen any of the local shops restocking. I don't blame them. At any moment, government may swoop in and bend you over. What a way to run an honest american business.