• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Obama lifts restrictions on Cuban rum, cigars

tomthirtysix

Wishing I was as cool as Phil
Is this for real?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ons-expands-trade-travel-rum-cigars/92042662/

MIAMI — Attention U.S. travelers going abroad: You now can bring home all the Cuban rum and cigars you want.

The Obama administration announced Friday a new round of executive actions designed to increase trade and travel with the communist island. And this is the one many Americans have been waiting for — no more restrictions on the island's famed rum and cigars.

Under the new rules, travelers can purchase unlimited quantities of Cuban rum and cigars in any country where they are sold so long as they are for personal consumption. Sorry American couch potatoes: You can't order Cuban rum and cigars online and have them shipped to your home.

The regulations issued by the U.S. Treasury Department will make it easier for U.S. companies to import Cuban-made pharmaceuticals, U.S. agricultural companies to sell their products to the island and Cubans to purchase U.S.-made goods online.

The changes follow a series of steps taken since President Obama and Cuban President Raúl Castro announced on Dec. 17, 2014, that the Cold War foes would normalize relations after more than a half century of enmity.

"The Treasury Department has worked to break down economic barriers in areas such as travel, trade and commerce, banking, and telecommunications," Treasury Secretary Jacob Lew said. "Today’s action builds on this progress by enabling more scientific collaboration, grants and scholarships, people-to-people contact, and private sector growth."

The most noticeable — and likely most welcome — change for most Americans is the removal of the five-decade ban on Cuban rum and cigars. The Obama administration partially lifted that ban already, allowing Americans traveling directly to Cuba to return home with up to $100 in rum and cigars in their carry-on luggage. Now, that monetary restriction is removed and U.S. citizens can purchase as much Cuban tobacco and alcohol as they want from anywhere they find the products abroad.[/unquote]

Well that would be nice. Officially one is still restricted to under $200 worth of tobacco when declaring for it to remain duty free. But in reality if one buys more than that and honestly writes the true value, nothing actually happens. So for example if you buy $500 worth of cigars and honestly declare that amount, Customs doesn't doesn't do anything. While they are suppose to charge you a tariff for the amount you import above $200, in reality they can't until a certain threshold is met. It all stems from a paperwork act. It's just not worth the hassle and money to try to collect a few dollars in duty. Typically that requires you importing a grand or more worth of stuff. SO the key here is just to be honest. I've brought in 8 bottles of single malt on a recent trip and because I declared it, nothing happened. If I had declare just the limit of two bottles and then would have been caught with the other six, I would have gotten in a whole lot of trouble.

Sorry American couch potatoes: You can't order Cuban rum and cigars online and have them shipped to your home.

"Now, that monetary restriction is removed and U.S. citizens can purchase as much Cuban tobacco and alcohol as they want from anywhere they find the products abroad."

I don't travel often, unfortunately, but I have friends who do. Time to cash in some favors! :D

I really wish this was done a week ago. Picked up my dad from the airport after a trip to Europe. I would have made him pick up some rum in duty free.

Just cross posted this in General without looking here. Oh well...

What's funny is that someone in (Politics) just said he wanted to get tougher on cuban sanctions. I can't help but wonder of this was a big middle finger.

What's funny is that someone in (Politics) just said he wanted to get tougher on cuban sanctions. I can't help but wonder of this was a big middle finger.
You use what you can. Can't out gangster the gangsters. So long as we see all changes benefit business and the Cuban people, I'm all for it.

Does this mean that purchases from on-line vendors (other than Cuban ones) are now permitted or is the on-line prohibition global?

Perfect. So only rich people who travel overseas or for business get the benefit. I guess there is always Mexico or the Bahamas if you live close and Canada is uber expensive.

Another reason to live by the coast, day trips to Cuba, for those of us smack in the middle of the county this pretty much does nothing except make me find more friends who are travelling out of the country.

I think most of the articles we are reading have been a bit misleading. They say "unlimited", but over 100 cigars is considered a commercial quantity in the US and you would need a commercial license to introduce them into the country. I have not seen any of the articles clarify this point. John

Yeah, our local Fox affiliate has a story reporter interviewing guys at a shop in Denver. They showed them scrolling through their smart phone and ordering from a vendor. Saying, you don't have to get off your couch.

Perfect. So only rich people who travel overseas or for business get the benefit. I guess there is always Mexico or the Bahamas if you live close and Canada is uber expensive.
Mexico is not much cheaper and the number of fakes is outrageous.

Don't forget about individual state restrictions.
Some states limit how much distilled spirits can be brought back. Not sure about cigars, but I can imagine there are similar restrictions on tobacco.

Or people like me who live out of the country. What are the restrictions for gifts sent through Die Post?