• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Obama to speak today 12 noon on Cuba policy

Johnny-O!

With the release of Alan Gross today, Obama will speak today 12 noon on policy in Cuba. CNN is broadcasting bits and pieces at the moment. John

"Other announced changes permit U.S. and Cuban banks to build relationships and travelers to use credit and debit cards. U.S. travelers will be allowed to import up to $400 worth of goods from Cuba, including $100 in alcohol and tobacco -- even Cuban cigars. Remittances by Americans to their families back in Cuba will also be increased to approximately $2,000 per quarter."

If this transpires as announced, the flood gates will be open.  My fear is that very quickly, the market will be FLOODED with fake Cuban cigars as the demand far, far outstrips the supply.  As we know, fakes are already a huge problem, this is going to make it worse.  As cigar consumers, we have to be knowledgeable, aware, and only purchase from trusted, known good sources.

It's good news long term, short term I'm afraid it's going to be a real mess......

^^^^What BBS said. Well, hopefully, any legitimate dealers(CoH, etc) will still be able to get the genuine article.

Looks like we'll soon find out! Somewhat exciting & disappointing all at the same time...??

The sound of the cork poping. That $100 won't last too long too long. Then the mess begions and the label/brand lawsuits will get worse.

What about importation?  If we're now able to legally purchase from our "sources", prices will skyrocket.

I agree with BBS. This is a day I have dreaded for a long, long time. The price is going to skyrocket since all that pent-up demand will wipe out any current supply. That will be followed by a ton of fake cigars on the market. Eventually the real stuff will probably fall in quality due to overproduction.

This is a good day for non-cigar people who have "dreamed" of smoking good cigars, but for those that have always know how the system actually worked, with all the holes in it, this is a bad, bad day.

On the other hand, It will be cool to see the day when we can try a My Father, Padron, Illusuone,Fuente, EPC, Or Crowned Heads with Cuban leaf. Years away for sure but wow, what a thought.

I wonder if we'll see any HC versions in the liquor stores now, LOL.

I better find some sources for HC7 and Anejo now, before it gets crazy out there.

Why should we be not allowed to freely purchase and consume HC on us soil? Though it seems the current is just a start, we liky are a few years away from seeing mass imports of HC and CC's. I foresee it first potentially starting with the importation of Cuban leaf, then maybe a resurgence of tobacco factories in the South eastern US? Aren't Altadis and Swedish Match already in good positions to work with Habanos SA when and if the embargo is lifted?
Where do I stand in line to open up the first casa del habano in Colorado?

BlindedByScience said:
If this transpires as announced, the flood gates will be open.  My fear is that very quickly, the market will be FLOODED with fake Cuban cigars as the demand far, far outstrips the supply.  As we know, fakes are already a huge problem, this is going to make it worse.  As cigar consumers, we have to be knowledgeable, aware, and only purchase from trusted, known good sources.

It's good news long term, short term I'm afraid it's going to be a real mess......

High demand; product shortage ... I figure prices will be going up .. at least in the short term. Then the mystique will go away and things will normalize in a year or so, hopefully sooner. It will be interesting to see which B&M shops court getting an SA Habanos dealership. It may give some B&M shops a little blood infusion. Who knows? ... Even if the prices don't go up to dealers, there will be an import tax and still state tax on top of prices we typically see. Look at cuban cigar prices in Canada and England; they are ridiculous! Maybe it will be a non-issue ... once anyone in the US can get a cuban cigar, people won't make much of a deal about them (like the rest of the world).