• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Oh how times have changed...

Benjamin Button

It's amazing how much times have changed. Every once in a while I will look through the Library of Congress photo archives just for fun (if you have a fast internet connection and a few hours to spare, I highly suggest you enjoy some of the images that are archived in super high resolution...so amazing).

Well just today, I found this image...

02282v.jpg

Try to count how many of these children, who are factory workers mind you, are smoking pipes. How things have changed...

My guess is this is from the late 1800's or early 1900's. There is no date listed for the photo.

Now a days some people would look at that and say "How barbaric"

...things have changed.
Sure have. Child labor laws for one. Here in NH young girls were chained to their looms in the textile factories among other atrocities. These kids never lived long enough for smoking to kill them. It simply wasn't an issue.

Doc.

About the only place in America where child labor is still commonplace is the family farm.

Been there, done that.

Back in those days you could get cocaine and opium at the corner store as well. How times have changed.

Now a days some people would look at that and say "How barbaric"

...things have changed.
Sure have. Child labor laws for one. Here in NH young girls were chained to their looms in the textile factories among other atrocities. These kids never lived long enough for smoking to kill them. It simply wasn't an issue.

Doc.

Doc, you're from NH? I had no idea. I'm in Manchester myself. Good ol' mill town, where it all went down. I've been looking into the SHPC, being a fairly amateur pipe smoker, I really don't know anyone else that smokes pipes and figured that might be a good place to start. I've never once seen a pipe smoker at Castro's in Manchester of all the times I've gone there.

No, I'm not from NH. I'm a Vermonter living in exile.

Doc.