• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Oil prices still falling!

I don't understand why the gas in other areas is much cheaper than it is here. NJ, along with a few other states, is supposed to have the cheapest gas tax in the country. This morning I filled up at $2.59/gal.

I don't understand why the gas in other areas is much cheaper than it is here. NJ, along with a few other states, is supposed to have the cheapest gas tax in the country. This morning I filled up at $2.59/gal.

Taxes are a big part like you said, but so is transportation of the gas as is different rate charged to the reatilers from the wholesalers. In south KC, it is $2.19 a gallon, but just two miles away from me in KS it is $2.35...so go figure ???

Well, it IS New Jersey.

NA

I pay about 2.65 in Oxford, MS and below 2.50 in Memphis, TN.

Correct. Prices always slide downward much slower than they rise. You're also likely to see disparities in prices from one station to the next.

$2.25 in NE Minneapolis.

Not here. They are all the same all the time except for the Sam's Club which is usually 8-10 cents less. It's almost like they call each other to figure out what the price is going to be that day.

I always have to chortle a bit when I drive down the hill and get a view of the refinery right across the river. We have some of the highest gas prices in the state, but it's refined less than 1/2 hour from my house.

I guess that's what you get when you decide to be a "tourist destination" instead of a working economy. :rolleyes:

EDITED TO ADD: I forgot to put our price up: $2.499 as of last night.

When oil was on the way up, ~$70 a barrel equaled ~$1.70 a gallon. So until we get there, we are still getting piped.

JJK

There is something wrong about the speed in which the pump price goes up, versus the speed in which it comes down. Just one example of many, of how we get screwed.

Brian

$2.89.9 in Erie. Just dropped $75.00 to fill the tank. At least it was down into double figures.

When oil was on the way up, ~$70 a barrel equaled ~$1.70 a gallon. So until we get there, we are still getting piped.

JJK

There is something wrong about the speed in which the pump price goes up, versus the speed in which it comes down. Just one example of many, of how we get screwed.

Brian

I've noticed this trend, too. I tend to look at gasoline futures, rather than the price of oil, to gauge what the price at the pump will roughly be. But, either way, we're getting ripped off.

You're right...we're SUPPOSED to have cheaper prices because of all the refineries we have in North Jersey pouring pollutants in our air! That was the deal struck in the '50s. We allowed the gas companies to build all those refineries and we pay less for gasoline for as long as they run. We have ZERO transportation costs because the $hit is made here for dozens of states nearby!

BUT, our illustrious Governor Corzine has quietly raised Gasoline taxes where we no longer have the edge we had for 40 years!...that's where it went. New Jersey needs the money because the Democrats ran the Construction & Building Fund bankrupt..we can't fix a road or build a school now because they ran this Fund like AIG ran their business. Now our road tolls have to go up to replenish the Fund dollars!...and guess what, Corzine is now talking "Federal and State Bailout" :laugh:

I don't know what is worst...California or NY/NJ?

Edit to add this LINK
I'm sure a lot of you know about it, but maybe some don't.

It finally diped under three bucks here in So. Cal. At the station we go to it's $2.99/gal.

I was all excited yesterday to fill up for $3.449 a gallon...and that's with 1-year suspension of the state gas tax.

$3.23 at the local cheapie gas place. The Bay Area is just plain expensive.