• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Okay you computer heads

CoventryCat86

Corresponding authority
I have an old Hewlett Packard Pavilion that runs Windows 98 that I want to keep running because I like to run FoxPro which I cannot load on to a Windows 2000 or higher computer.

My hard drive has pretty much shit the bed, and I need a new one, I keep getting error messages and when I try and wipe it, it won't load the files from the recovery disc. It keeps freezing up and it's pretty much a POS.

The model number of the computer is a Pavilion 6460, System Number D7316A.

I did a search on the HP website for hard drives and they gave me two different part numbers:

DA246-60002 (5400 RPM)
P8675-69007 (7200 RPM)

I found a place on the 'net (Impact Computers) that has the 5400 RPM one for $79.00.

My first question is, which one of those two part numbers should I get or will they both work? I can't find anything on the hard drive I took out of the case that indicates which one it is. ???

Secondly, do you know where I can get one cheaper?

OR does anyone know how I can load my FoxPro software on to a Windows XP computer?

1) Any hard drive will work, so long as it uses the same interface as your old HD, which, is undoubtedly IDE (ribbon style gray cables).
2) 5400 RPM or 7200 RPM is just a speed rating. 7200 RPM is faster. You'll want that.
3) As I previously stated, there is no need to buy any "specific" hard drive, as I'm 100% sure the hard drive thats in that old HP isn't manufactured any more. If you need an HD on the cheap, I honestly probably have one or two lying around in my spare parts.
4) http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vfoxpro/default.aspx
5) Great info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_FoxPro

Also, if you need a run down of how to physically install the HD, format it, and install windows, I can help you with that, too.

Yes, I'm a geek. Proud of it.

I have an old Hewlett Packard Pavilion that runs Windows 98 that I want to keep running because I like to run FoxPro which I cannot load on to a Windows 2000 or higher computer.

My hard drive has pretty much shit the bed, and I need a new one, I keep getting error messages and when I try and wipe it, it won't load the files from the recovery disc. It keeps freezing up and it's pretty much a POS.

The model number of the computer is a Pavilion 6460, System Number D7316A.

I did a search on the HP website for hard drives and they gave me two different part numbers:

DA246-60002 (5400 RPM)
P8675-69007 (7200 RPM)

I found a place on the 'net (Impact Computers) that has the 5400 RPM one for $79.00.

My first question is, which one of those two part numbers should I get or will they both work? I can't find anything on the hard drive I took out of the case that indicates which one it is. ???

Secondly, do you know where I can get one cheaper?

OR does anyone know how I can load my FoxPro software on to a Windows XP computer?
Now that's just the saddest thing I've heard in days. You know those old HP cases make pretty good cat boxes... stirip it off, add a little litter and presto instant toilet.

NA

1) Any hard drive will work, so long as it uses the same interface as your old HD, which, is undoubtedly IDE (ribbon style gray cables).

But will it fit in the Pavilion case?

But will it fit in the Pavilion case?

Hard drives are a standard size, it will definitely fit. Even if he has a big foot drive (5.25 inch) that died, there will be extra 3.5 inch bays in the case.

Keith

Hey bro,

You're having computer trouble, and I'm the man to fix em.

I'll be happy to assist, give me a shout, I'd say PM me, but I cant reply to you....

I literally piece together old machines in my spare time, and probably have an old harddrive kickin' around that'll work with your HP..

TTYL
Rob

sounds like you have it all under control but if you are in need of a hard drive, I have quite a few that would work very well! I happen to know with 100% certainty that the computer you have does have 3.5 inch drive bays that will accommodate any current IDE drive of any size. Its a pretty straight forward install! Its also possible that your data is still intact with the old hard drive. My company uses a program called robocopy that runs in a dos prompt that will recover any data from any bootable windows partitions!! let me know if I can be of any assistance.

...good grief; man up, Bill..!! This can't be any harder than getting a Jag to stop leaking oil..... :laugh:

You've had lots of offers of help; PM me if you want mine....glad to assist. This really is a pretty straightforward job.

Oh, and for hardware, don't miss NewEgg. Rock bottom prices, huge selection, and great customer service. I buy a ton of stuff from them.

Cheers - B.B.S.

A Jag leaking oil- isn't that what we in the Automotive Field call "Planned External Lubrication"??? Gotta love those oil leaks tho......... D

A Jag leaking oil- isn't that what we in the Automotive Field call "Planned External Lubrication"??? Gotta love those oil leaks tho......... D
Old school short track racing bikes used what was called "total loss" oiling. It was fed by gravity from the top, through, and right out the bottom of the engine. Much like many British cars..... :p

Old school short track racing bikes used what was called "total loss" oiling. It was fed by gravity from the top, through, and right out the bottom of the engine. Much like many British cars..... :p

Are you sure it's only in British cars? My Freightliner at work does the same thing. It was made in 2002!

Billl,

Get a new machine. Windows XP has teh backward compatibility feature, when you want to load Foxpro:

1) insert the disk. When the autorun begins, cancel.
2) Navigate to the CD drive, find teh install executable and right click, then select properties
3) click on the compatibility tab
4) select "Run this program in compatibility mode for:"
5) set the drop down box to Windows 98
6) Clcik OK
7) run the Install again.

I have half a dozen programs I have to run on either Win 95 or Win 98 compatibility because they don't work on 2000 or higher OS, and I've had all but one program work well this way. The one that didn't is the super-old Scortched Earth which ran just fine, but I couldn't play it because the processor was too fast and the game ran weird (but it ran).

Not sure if Vista has this ability too, so getting a new system with XP instead of Vista may be the hard part.

-K-

All software using FoxPro versions 3.x or above run under windows 2000 SP4 just fine, Bill.

I would look into trying Karl's suggestions first, Windows 2000 SP4 if that doesn't work and then going back to Win98 as a last resort.

I'm glad I saw this thread. My hd and video card on my Alienware went out. I think I can install new ones which I've found on tigerdirect but I hope to have someone to call if something don't go right.

WOW! Thanks everyone for all the help! :thumbs:

My FoxPro is 2.6 wurm which is why I'm having problems. :(

Treamayne, LMAO :laugh: yep, a new machine is probably much more cost effective than fixing this old piece of crap :D but this ole machine has a bit of sentimental value, it was my late father's computer and I kinda don't want to toss it in the scrap heap. Thanks so much for your instructions on how to install my old software on a newer Windows platform, I'll try that and see what happens.

My hard drive is the "bigfoot" size and the case looks like I could fasten a 3 1/2" drive into it without much of a problem but it looks like it's designed for the wider hard drives.

I've had past bad dealings with TigerDirect so I won't patronize them for as long as I live and new.egg is the latest morph of the old egghead, right? They were always good to me in the past.

Again, thanks everyone for all the information and the PMs and to Neal too :laugh: it's very much appreciated!

:laugh:

With all that oil leaking, it just about removes any problems of undercarriage rust!

Better than undercoating! :laugh: