• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Old Boy lighters

prometheus

Read more; post less
I've absolutely had it with my colibri cigar and pipe lighters. They constantly break, wont fire, and get clogged even using their fuel.

Anyway, in doing some research on quality pipe lighters, I ran across Savinelli's Old Boy lighter. They are the hands down favorite for pipe smokers, I have found from another pipe board. Does anyone here have one? They are not inexpensive, on average $100 for the real ones. Nibo makes a knockoff and apparently suck.

CoronaOldBoy1188.JPG

I have 3 that I got on the 'Bay as a lot: one like you show in your post, one with the pipe shapes, and a "Pipemaster", which is basically a side-firing lighter with electronic ignition. The two standard Old Boys worked with just a little cleaning and a fill; the electronic ignition one had to go to Savinelli for repair, but it worked fine after about a month with them and $8.

I'd initially intended to sell 2 of them, but I like them so much, and they are so dependable, that I kept all three. The only 'problem' is that they are useless outdoors unless it is dead calm. For that, a Zippo with a pipe lighter insert is the only way to go.

Apparently now that probate has been settled they are being produced again with several functional upgrades. Whether used or new, they are well worth the investment.

Over on the board I've been active on the past several months there is a thread called "old boy blues" that ought to tell ya something

Well, all it tells me is that as with any mechanical device, there will be some with prolems. The 2 standard models that I got had obviously had a lot of use and they still worked fine.

Now, as to Savinelli's repair service, well, you DO have to keep at them. :D

I meant to add in my other post, BTW, that the NIBU's really arent' worth the money. I have one, and it's still working, but the quality just isn't there. :whistling:

why not go with a zippo they have been around for ever and are easy to use and work on. hey if its not broke why fix it.

Actually, I use a Zippo pipe lighter as well. The Old Boy is better for the charring light, I feel, and the Zippo with it's fuller flame for keeping the bowl lit once it's burned down some. :)

Well I ordered one and if all goes well I will have my Corona Old Boy in by the 10th if all goes well. I will be able to give my opinion on them this month at least. I've been told to get one by numerous pipe smokers I know so if they say its worth it, I listen to them. :thumbs:

I have an Old Boy with a pipe chart on it and it is beautiful, reliable and pleasingly simple. I recommend them as highly as a pipe lighter as I would a Dupont Xtend as a cigar lighter.

And as for the Zippos, the fuel on a zippo burns very, very dirty. It imparts a flavor that you can taste. Butane is the way to go for anything you want to taste.

I've never been able to discern a taste with my Zippo, but then I generally smoke strong English or Balkan blends. Supposedly the new Zippo fuel formulation reduces the taste that folks complain about.
I'd never use my Zippo to light my cigars. :D

I've never been able to discern a taste with my Zippo, but then I generally smoke strong English or Balkan blends. Supposedly the new Zippo fuel formulation reduces the taste that folks complain about.

Oh come on now...You will use a Zippo on great pipe tobacco but not a great cigar? :p :p :p :whistling:

I personally back in the day did use a zippo on my pipes. I never really thought about the taste till I pulled out the ole Dr Graibow I had at the B&M back in the days of the growing pains. I was kindly told to never use a Zippo on the pipe and this came from pipe veterans of 40+ years experience. Ever since then, I never use a Zippo. I will use any butane flame and if I can, I will start a piece of spanish cedar strip I have say from one of my Opus X's and light the pipe up. :D

Oh come on now...You will use a Zippo on great pipe tobacco but not a great cigar? :p :p :p :whistling:

Yup. Cigars either get a butane torch or a stick match. For me, the Zippo flame is too fat to consistently find the 'hot spot' which is generally above the flame somewhere.
I also would never use a torch on my pipes. I like my rims to stay uncharred. :whistling: :whistling:

I personally back in the day did use a zippo on my pipes. I never really thought about the taste till I pulled out the ole Dr Graibow I had at the B&M back in the days of the growing pains. I was kindly told to never use a Zippo on the pipe and this came from pipe veterans of 40+ years experience. Ever since then, I never use a Zippo. I will use any butane flame and if I can, I will start a piece of spanish cedar strip I have say from one of my Opus X's and light the pipe up. :D