• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Old Cohiba question

SoTX-Leo

My client and great friend just gifted me a couple of Cohiba lanceros circa the early to mid 80s, but they're in cello. Years ago on the old defunct CF someone mentioned that around that time Cohiba were actually cellophane wrapped. Still curious, do you guys and gals know anything about this. Thanks in advance and when I finally smoke them after my cararact surgeries in the upcoming couple of weeks, I'll report on them. His Dad bought them somewhere around the mid 80s...

Yes, 98 percent of these Lanceros are fake unfortunately. If you upload some pics, we would be able to confirm If they are real or not.
Sad how so many were faked. Do you know what occasion or for who this extra layer of box border tape/ pattern was added to the boxes?

Thanks!

Screenshot_20230424_022913_Messenger.jpgScreenshot_20230424_022919_Messenger.jpg

Those bands look sus to me (with my limited vintage knowledge). They are not uniform, at all, and the white looks like dots instead of squares.

Those bands look sus to me (with my limited vintage knowledge). They are not uniform, at all, and the white looks like dots instead of squares.
Thank you for your feedback. Vintage Cohiba bands had variations within the bands. Some were more square, some were rounded. Some were supposed to have 2 rows of dots above "cohiba" but only had one.

One thing I have learned is only buy or trade from sources I trust. I trust this source. His collection has been self aquired, over decades. He has been buying since the 1970s.

These images are from Min Ron Nee's book. Screenshot_20230424_174743_Messenger.jpgScreenshot_20230424_174712_Messenger.jpg

Thanks for the education. Not afraid to say that I don't know a whole lot about vintage cigars.

I am waiting for you to smoke one and comment. Screw it, if ya like it, who the hell cares.
I have had 2. Draw was a bit tight on one, other was normal. Very nice experiences, they are definitely a different level of flavor melding, with great nuance. Still full flavored, with a nice effect.

I care if they are real or fake. I refuse to buy or deal with fakes, my $ would be much better spent on other cigars. I avoid supporting scumbags at all costs.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, with the way the bands are placed, and how the pigtail is wrapped, I would have an "educated guess" that these are not real. They do look really old and probably would be very good to smoke.
Thank you for the info, I appreciate you sharing the knowledge. And am happy to learn. Let me get a pic of the one pigtail that is undisturbed. I kinda messed those ones up trying to get them to stand up for a picture. I know, rookie move. What does a pigtail from 80s look like normally?

What about the band placement is questionable? I am not arguing, I am looking to learn.

They were amszing smokes, lit with soft flame, and puffed ge tly to keep them from getting too hot. I am no expert, but they tasted distinctly cuban, with hay/ grass notes, and amazing flavor. Will find my tasting notes and share those.

Once again, thanks for being willing to share your knowledge and experience. I live in reality, and hope to find out more.

I am waiting for you to smoke one and comment. Screw it, if ya like it, who the hell cares.

If they turn out great (which Adam just posted they are), then that's a great bonus if they're fake. I would care from a purely educational standpoint regarding their authenticity. Well, and the bona-fides wouldn't hurt either! The fakes today are actually leaps and bounds better in just about every way.

I've had real Cohibas from almost every decade back to their inception (Cohiba started in 1966, my earliest was a '71). Each decade has tasted different in some aspects, but each were also recognizably Cohiba.. if that makes sense (I know minimally Bill and JohnF know what I mean).

Some fakes today.. man, getting really close taste-wise.. and everything else. It's also being done on a far greater scale and with more accuracy than ever.

When you consider we've caught the Chinese in minimally our corn and soybean crops red-handed, in fields owned by everyone from Archer Daniels Midland (ADM), to Dow/DuPont Chemicals (glyphosate-based herb/pesticides) to Monsanto/Bayer (Roundup), etc, there's no telling what they've pillaged from Cuba and their soil/seeds.

With proper resources, you could even try to replicate Cuban growing conditions.. hydroponically.. or whatever. Maybe they even "own" (rent?) several hectares of actual Cuban land. We know they don't care about R&D or I.P., so it's no wonder they're able to churn out decent fakes like they are. Fuckers.

I truly worry about the future of Cuba/Cubans and their fabled and wondrous cigars and rum. Anddd... think I'm just gonna end there.. I can't say more without getting political... *sigh*.

Last edited:
Agreed!

They tasted very Cohiba to me. I have had a fair amount of Cohiba, from the mid 90s to current. These were my first 80s Cohibas. The flavor was distinctly Cohiba.

The person who's collection they came from is as legit as it gets. They have been personally collecting for decades, attending the festivals, and has zero tolerance for fakes. This is someone who is in early on new releases, and their humidor at home is insane to say the least. They have more vintage boxes (purchased by them pwrsonally) than I have singles. Makes some cigar shops look small. I can double check, but I believe these were aquired in person un Habana in the 80s, as a part of a special lot for a person.

That said, from what I have learned fakes can make their way in anywhere, and I want to learn more. I am very interested in what the pigtails should look like, and what the band placement is off by. They are riding a little lower than most, is that what was meant?

Thanks again.

Agreed!

They tasted very Cohiba to me. I have had a fair amount of Cohiba, from the mid 90s to current. These were my first 80s Cohibas. The flavor was distinctly Cohiba.

The person who's collection they came from is as legit as it gets. They have been personally collecting for decades, attending the festivals, and has zero tolerance for fakes. This is someone who is in early on new releases, and their humidor at home is insane to say the least. They have more vintage boxes (purchased by them pwrsonally) than I have singles. Makes some cigar shops look small. I can double check, but I believe these were aquired in person un Habana in the 80s, as a part of a special lot for a person.

That said, from what I have learned fakes can make their way in anywhere, and I want to learn more. I am very interested in what the pigtails should look like, and what the band placement is off by. They are riding a little lower than most, is that what was meant?

Thanks again.
I will say, Adam, that in my 12 years on this board, I think you are the one and only person I've ever seen take the news that they just bought really expensive fakes with grace (and then actually stick around, to boot!). I certainly hope that these Cohibas are authentic and that you get to enjoy them with confidence.

I will say, Adam, that in my 12 years on this board, I think you are the one and only person I've ever seen take the news that they just bought really expensive fakes with grace (and then actually stick around, to boot!). I certainly hope that these Cohibas are authentic and that you get to enjoy them with confidence.
I am 100% confident that if these end up being fake the person who shared them with me would refund immediately. That does help take the sting away.

The other factor is the flavors were so damn good, and cohibaesque, it was a great smoke.

Reality is what it is, I'd rather learn and know than stick my head in a hole. Lying to myself would be bad, and I appreciate having brothers that care enough to help amd share knowledge.

Thank you for the info, I appreciate you sharing the knowledge. And am happy to learn. Let me get a pic of the one pigtail that is undisturbed. I kinda messed those ones up trying to get them to stand up for a picture. I know, rookie move. What does a pigtail from 80s look like normally?

What about the band placement is questionable? I am not arguing, I am looking to learn.

They were amszing smokes, lit with soft flame, and puffed ge tly to keep them from getting too hot. I am no expert, but they tasted distinctly cuban, with hay/ grass notes, and amazing flavor. Will find my tasting notes and share those.

Once again, thanks for being willing to share your knowledge and experience. I live in reality, and hope to find out more.
Let's be clear, I did not say they were not cuban, chances are they are. The pigtails need to be tight, short and uniformed. The bands have to be perfectly placed, overlapping at the same point on every band and these bands look pretty bad.