• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Old Republic Brewing

MX

Quietly getting back into the cigar culture.....
Well I popped the top on these last night. Very good indeed.

It has been a long 4 months with this beer. I brewed it in mid August, it was my first Partial Mash and I used about 6 pounds of grain. Here is the breakdown:

Ingredients:
3.5 lbs Vienna Malt
1.0 lbs Carahell®
0.75 lbs Belgian Special B
3.5 lbs Dry Amber Extract
0.5 lbs Molasses
14.0 g Target (11.50%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
7.0 g Goldings (3.6%) - added during boil, boiled 30.0 min
3.0 tsp Cloves (ground) - added dry to primary fermenter
3.0 ea Cinnamon (stick) - added dry to primaryy fermenter
3.0 tsp Nutmeg (ground) - added dry to primary fermenter
3.0 ea Vanilla (whole bean) - added dry to primary fermenter
1.0 ea Fermentis US-05 Safale US-05

med_gallery_5446_957_163650.png

Brew day was hectic and fraught with issues and problems, not smooth by a long shot. After about 6 hours, I got into the bucket and had one of the Irish Reds from the previous brew session, and a cigar ( can't remember what). Milestone #2 was the horrific mess I made while transferring this to the secondary after 4 weeks in the primary. About 1/2 gallon on the floor, as my SWMBO pulls into the driveway....medicated with more homebrew.....

Bottling went well, and after 25 days, I poured my first one last night at a Company Christmas party. Very smooth!

This beer has changed flavor profiles at every stage. I can not wait for a few more months to see where it ends up.
Only thing I would change is waiting until secondary to put in the spices. Then letting is age for a few weeks after removong them.

Thanks for reading

Tim

Brewing again today, it has been another nightmare, but I belive in the end it will be all worth it.

Every time I brew I figure it out just a little bit more. Finding the things I need to make the next batch easier and better.

Here is my BREW BLOG

Tim

Back