• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Old World Reserve by Rocky Patel

GDeAngelo

Brand Owner: Rakesh "Rocky" Patel
Tabacalera: El Paraiso - Danli, Honduras
Model/Vitola: Olde World Reserve Torpedo (Maduro)
Size: 5.0 x 54 (figurado — box-pressed)
Wrapper: Costa Rica (Maduro) — Nicaragua (Corojo)
Binder & Filler: Nicaragua (rumored a little India too)

Lighter of choice : Colibri Legacy
Drink of Choice : Makers on the Rocks
Weather: low 70s no breeze

I would like to say first and foremost, my humidor was a bit off. My humidifier was dry :(. It has been in there close to a month. It's quite possible that have a poor humidor controlled much of integrity of this cigar.

I've read the reviews on this cigar. I cut and lit with high expectations. The light was very even and very fast. I noticed the draw was very very easy. The texture of the body had a little bit of bounce to it. I wouldn't have thought of it to be dry.

Aroma was fairly consistent the entire cigar. A soft leather with an oaky accent. Around a 1/3 of the way down, a soft musk developed. It wasn't your typical cheap stogie musk, more like a amber or evergreen smell. The smoke lingered and was very thick. If you enjoy smoke rings or french rolls, it's very easy and visible with this cigar. I like to take about 2 draws every 45 seconds "ish". This cigar had trouble sitting with out a draw. I had to relight once.

1/3 : rich leather taste, and slight oaky accent

After about 5 decent draws, a port developed and started to burn unevenly. I torched the other side in hopes to catch it up.

2/3 : I noticed the filler was burning much faster then the wrap. The draw stayed the same, but the wrap would never catch up.

3/3 I let set for about a minute and it burned out. I relit and gave it a few short draws. From then out out, it was very bitter and not close to appetizing.

I didn't finish the cigar. I rather sit there and enjoy the nice evening and finish my at this point watered down drink.

Like I said, I've heard good things about this cigar. I wasn't impressed. I may give this cigar another try on someone else's dime. I do think my humidor played a role in the distasteful experience.

Has anyone else smoked this cigar? Maybe you have different thoughts.

-Gianni-

Gianni, I've always wanted to try this 'gar also, all the RP's I've smoked I have really enjoyed including the Connecticut, Vintage 90 and 92, with the 92 being my favorite. The Double Maduro and Fusion were both excellent also.

Good luck on your search! ::thumbs::

Gianni, I've always wanted to try this 'gar also, all the RP's I've smoked I have really enjoyed including the Connecticut, Vintage 90 and 92, with the 92 being my favorite. The Double Maduro and Fusion were both excellent also.

I really enjoyed the Vintage 1992. I normally enjoy a smaller sized. I didn't enjoy the 54 gauge. I have a review for that cigar that I will post when I get some more time.

I received one of these cigars in a contest package a while back (robusto sized), and it's probably the best RP cigar I've had. Construction was great, as was the burn and draw. Flavor was very interesting as well, similar to other RPs but I swear I was getting hints of black cherries. I'd try grabbing another one, it sounds like you got a dud.

The few that I have tried have been a very loose draw.

I received one of these cigars in a contest package a while back (robusto sized), and it's probably the best RP cigar I've had. Construction was great, as was the burn and draw. Flavor was very interesting as well, similar to other RPs but I swear I was getting hints of black cherries. I'd try grabbing another one, it sounds like you got a dud.

That's good to know. I may try it again. I have a review for the Vintage 1992 that I will post up here soon. I did get some deep cherry taste towards the second 1/3 of the cigar. It was a heavy draw which I enjoyed.

-Gianni-

Gianni, thanks for the great review. When the OWR first came out I loved them. They were great cigars, although a little pricey. Lately though, like most RP products, the quality has slipped. I don't think they're so great any more, especially for around $10 a pop. I've got a pack of CI seconds of them which were around $3 each-- much more reasonable, however I still think there might be something going on with the blend. I'm going to continue burning them over time and see if a little age helps them out.

Great participation so far on CP. Do you think you could mosey over to the Introduce Yourself Here Forum (linky) and start an into thread? The FOGs here really appreciate it, and it lets us all get to know you. Just a newbie trying to look out for another newbie here. :)

X2 here, I have had the 1990 and 1992, however I like the 1990 Vintage just a little bit better. Nice review by the way, also welcome to CP.

I just tried the box press, very good cigar until I got halfway through it. Flavor turned to a$$ and I almost heaved.