• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Older Cigars - Can I save them?

NEXT

Guy next door stopped smoking cigars and gave me a shoe box size tuperware box full of cigars. Some nice ones....Opus and Padron 64 inside but they are dry. Still smell good.

Anyway to save them?

Are they all dried out?

Do you know how long they were in the tupperware with no humidification?

For starters, get or make a humipak and place it in the tupperware with the sticks - seal it.

If they still smell good, chances are all the oils haven't yet evaporated. They might be worth saving. Bring them back slowly.

Doc

1-2 years.....got 65% beads also. almost all are sealed in plastic ziplock bags or cellos.

Put water in the beads and go at it?

I put in a hydrometer yesterday as soon as I opened them and inspected.

Just went in to check, it read 50%, he says he recharged the beads about once every 2 months but hadn't in 4-5 months.

Putting some beads in gradually.

From what I have read, you want to bring the RH back up slowly. Meaning like 2-3% every few months, if you just put them in 65% there's a good chance that the foot will swell and the wrapper will crack.

Recovering them will be a very long process, but if they are salvageable it will be worth the time spent.

Indeed. keep the stick doule wrapped in a ziplock and slowly open up the 'insulated ziplock to bring back the RH back up. Failing to bring back stick slowlyback nup will make the wrappers crack :-(

Put them in th ziplock bags sealed properly, this will help you to save it.

They are at 56%

Going to try and get them to 58-60% this evening. Hopefully 58%.