• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Oliva Serie V Belicoso

selfevident

Brand: Oliva
Vitola: Belicoso
Size: 5x54
Wrapper: Habano Sun Grown
Binder: Nicaragua
Filler: Nicaragua

I stumbled across an Oliva Serie V a few weeks ago, and without knowing anything about Serie V (much less Oliva) I had a great experience. Only after I smoked one did I do the research and find that other people had the same experience as me. Here is my review:

This cigar has a great construction. I can see the oils on the cigar and its packed pretty tight. I clip the cigar and prelight draw puts a bit of spice on my tounge.

After lighting up and taking the first draw I am hit with spice, roasted nut and a coffee flavor. The ash is light grey and I have only 1 touch up after my first ashing. The spice stays throughout the cigar, however it seems to mellow out a bit in the 2nd third and I start to get a creamy flavor.

The last third of the cigar the spice picks back up again and is very flavorful to the last draw. I am seriously impressed with the construction and the flavor of this cigar. Ive become quite the DPG fan as of late but I must say the Oliva Serie V gives most of those a run for their money. I will definitely be picking up more of these.

oliva1.jpg

oliva2.jpg

oliva3.jpg

oliva4.jpg

oliva5.jpg

oliva6.jpg

Just had one today. I think it could use a little more age (I just got it about a week ago). I prefer the torps and the lanceros to these at this stage but it is still a good cigar nonetheless. The order of preference could change with some additional age. :cool:

Thanks for the review!

I actually had my first Serie V Belicoso yesterday and what a great cigar. I had high hopes for it, and it definitely lived up to my expectations!
I do have one concern though, I had to work on it to keep it lit. Has anyone else had that problem? At first, it produced alot of great smoke, but after the first third, it required a few re-lights. Then, at the last third, it just wouldn't stay lit.

Anyone else have that problem? Hopefully it was just that one cigar! Regardless, I will still be buying more, but maybe a different Serie V.

Thanks again for the review!!!

I do have one concern though, I had to work on it to keep it lit. Has anyone else had that problem? At first, it produced alot of great smoke, but after the first third, it required a few re-lights. Then, at the last third, it just wouldn't stay lit.

Anyone else have that problem? Hopefully it was just that one cigar! Regardless, I will still be buying more, but maybe a different Serie V.
It's possible that it was tunneling (the filler burns faster than the wrapper, "tunneling" inside of it, rather than being flat or dome shaped). If this gets bad to the point that you have to rip the heck out of it just to get a decent draw, you can try knocking off the ash and burning the edge of the wrapper with a lighter to help it catch up.

Very good review. Can you tell me, does it say Liga Especial on the band? I had one the other night that I received from a newbie trade, and loved it. I can't seem to find them at my local B&M, or on line.

This is one of the better bang for the buck cigars, and is constantly ranked among the top cigars of the year from Cigar Aficionado. It is also one of my favorite smokes, I have yet to try the maduro version but I can not wait. Maybe the next nice fay I'll take one out and torch it.

Very good review. Can you tell me, does it say Liga Especial on the band? I had one the other night that I received from a newbie trade, and loved it. I can't seem to find them at my local B&M, or on line.

Yep, thats the one. They are hard to find. I ordered myself a few more singles from www.dukecitycigars.com

Thanks for the review!

I actually had my first Serie V Belicoso yesterday and what a great cigar. I had high hopes for it, and it definitely lived up to my expectations!

Thanks again for the review!!!

I honestly have not had this issue, and I've torched a few Belicosos. Humidity issue maybe? The other suggestion is a good one as well. I smoked a different cigar recently ( CAO Black to be specific) that had a "hole" in the middle of the smoke, and I had trouble keeping it lit.