• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Olympics

saltypete

It has been amazing to watch the Olympics, especially the swimming. Well done to the USA and Michael Phelps, what an incredible athlete.
However don't forget the Australians. We are a small nation that punches well above our weight at the Olympics.
For example the US have won 10 gold medals, with a population of 301 million, that equates to one gold medal for every 30 million people.
Australia has a population of 20 million and have won 4 gold medals which equates to one gold medalist in every 5 million people. Not taking anything away from the Yanks they are simply amazing, but I am a very proud Aussie!!!

Pete

I learned early on in my time in the Navy NOT to challenge the Aussies at anything even remotely athletic. I would, however, put to sea in any vessel of the Australian Navy - especially the subs.

Yep, that's a good point. You should be proud. I wonder what the ratio is for China.

Not taking anything away from the Yanks they are simply amazing, but I am a very proud Aussie!!!

Pete

Pete, there is no shame in taking pride in your country while at the same time admiring the feats of your friends around the world.

Cheers, mate!

During the opening ceremonies there was a country marching in with 4 athletes whose total population was 12,000 people.

The Chinese stadium held 92,000--how disorienting that would be!

I learned early on in my time in the Navy NOT to challenge the Aussies at anything even remotely athletic. I would, however, put to sea in any vessel of the Australian Navy - especially the subs.

Yep we love to have a go at anything. There is a bloke (Grant Hackett) who's swimming for Australia in the 1500m Freestyle who won gold in Sydney and Athens and has a good chance again. He won in Athens with a collapsed lung and epitomises the Australian spirit that was born at Galipolli and forged on the Western front in WW1. You never give up and never let your mates down.
I'm touched at the amount of mutual respect shown in this thread. Given how much of a giant the US is in the world, you could forgive Americans for being arrogant, but I see none of that on CP. You guys are a credit to your great nation.

Pete