• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

On vacation....

DePasta

Stop it! That tickles!
Well, fellas I'm in the Outer Banks, NC on vacation this week. With the remnants of Alberto coming up the coast, it was a shopping day. There is a little tourist trap wine shop in one of the local centers here.

My wife told me he had a humidor. This got me somewhat excited, as I might be able to find some good sticks and another fan of cigars.

Well we fought through the rain and walked into the shop, my wife pointed out the walk in humdor. I opened the door and was almost knocked down by the smell. It wasn't cedar, it wasn't mahogany, what was it? My memories were taken back to the days of my mom cleaning the floors when I was a kid. The smell was PINE. The walls were constructed of bright yellow pine paneling! I could not belive my eyes, and nose.

The selection was equally as bad. He had a good stock of a variety of flavored cigars, some AF low ends, a couple boxes of Padron x000 series. But the... prices, $12 for a Chateau Fuente (natural), $16 for a Padron 3000. I did not last long and high tailed it out of there. The scary thing is he was selling the hell out of them, especially the flavored cigarillos....

I may go back to try to get a picture if I can stomach it, I just can't believe it...and gouging on the low end of the lines....

-D

My local B&M gouges, on everything, but not to that extent. But that sounds horrible. Can they even recover from being stored in pine?

There are so many horrible cigar shops around, the fact that I hate is people at shops like that trying to give me advice on some "great cigars". I once overheard a guy telling a group of people that these cigars, I dont remember what they were, had tobacco made from Cuban seeds, and that they tasted exactly like cuban cigars. Later I heard the same guy tell a woman who was trying to buy some very mild cigars that any Ashton would be perfect, he even pointed out the VSG's to her. I wanted to correct him, to help out the buyer, but he owned the store and I didn't want to get in a fight about cigar knowlege.

Dan, can you pm me the name of the shop as i will be on the outer banks the week after july 4th (i will be near salvo on hatteras island) so i can avoid this place. thanks in advance.

Dan, can you pm me the name of the shop as i will be on the outer banks the week after july 4th (i will be near salvo on hatteras island) so i can avoid this place. thanks in advance.
btw: hope you had a good time there, i know i am looking foward to it!
edit for additional comments