• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Online Vodka Focus Group

Sunshine86

Nicaraguan Whore
Hello CPers, for those who do not know me (most probably don't), My name is Matt Shannon and I'm a sophomore advertising major at the Art Institute of Washington. As part of my study, I am required to develop a marketing plan and advertising campaign centered around a hypothetical product or service. I am currently in the process of conducting market research and while market share data and sales figures are valuable, nothing, in my opinion, can substitute for gathering information and opinions from the consumers themselves.

As you probably have surmised from the title of this thread, I have chosen to base my project on something I enjoy very greatly, vodka.

The Product: Семнадцать (pronounced “semnadtsat”, the Russian word for “17”) is a forthcoming small-batch, super-premium vodka distilled from wheat in the traditional Russian manner and priced at approximately $35 per 750 milliliter bottle. The packaging will be based on Russian surplus ammunition containers (pictured below--disregard the close-up of the bullet)--a square glass bottle wrapped in wax paper sealed in a rectangular, olive green aluminum can with black stenciled lettering.

545ammo.jpg

The Advertising: Given my deep interest in Soviet/Russian military history, I intend to base my advertising around the masculine, utilitarian image of Soviet/Russian military hardware as well as the glamor and romance of the grandiose imagery of Soviet/Russian propaganda (May Day parades, the uniforms, etc.). In the interest of social and ecological responsibility, I also intend to incorporate the use of recycled materials into the production of Семнадцать and to donate proceeds to the unexploded ordinance clean up and de-mining operations in affected nations.

The two biggest questions I've encountered so far are:

1. Would this product appeal to you (the product itself, the packaging, and the image/branding)?

2. What do people look for in a super premium vodka?

I'm still in the early stages of my research and, at this point, am looking to gather a general consensus. I intend to update as the project progresses and the need for more specific information arises.

Thank you very much for your time and any insight or advice you can provide.

1. Would this product appeal to you (the product itself, the packaging, and the image/branding)?

Hiya Matt! I will do my best to answer your questions from a layman's point of view, and a frequent buyer of fine vodka.

1.) This product definitely appeals to me based on the packaging of the bottle, and the bottle itself. I am not too thrilled about the images of Soviet military being used as a marketing, as I know several people that this would send the wrong idea to about the parent company. Would I buy several bottles? Probably, but mostly as gifts due to the novelty of the packaging, and depending on whether the vodka was enjoyable.

Your price is definitely right in my opinion for the whole experience, and the bragging rights of having a "bullet" bottle of vodka in the kitchen on display.

2.) What I look for is the taste. In my opinion, it has to be clean and smooth. I am still getting into vodka more and more, and am learning my likes and dislikes. I have never tasted Smirnoff and don't intend to, so I don't know what piss-poor vodka tastes like.

Like I said before, I think youve got potential in this gig you proposed. In fact, I got all excited about the bottle and started looking for a link that I thought you were selling, until I realized it was all a fantasy. Good luck!!

I'm a bit of a fan of military history of a number of countries and definitely think the packaging you propose is unique. If a product can catch my eye on the shelf, I'll go over and inspect it. If you're looking to brand this as a Russian product you may want to consider some Russian symbols such as; Russian flag, hammer & sickle, a red star, C.C.C.P. etc... identifying a country of origin based solely on Cyrillic text might be hard since a number of countries all use similar alphabets (Russia, Ukraine, Bulgaria etc.).

As for what people look for in a super premium vodka, I can't necessarily say since I'm not a connoisseur of fine vodkas. I can tell you I dislike the harsh, burning sensations usually associated with cheaper spirits.

One thing to keep in mind, there are some other eye catching products out there.. see THIS POST

1. I'd definitely buy this. One, I'm a sucker for great packaging (I have a bottle of Crystal Head Vodka on my bar, after all) and as an art style, I think Soviet Realism is dated enough, yet visual enough, to be ironically hip and appeal to the indie crowd that consumes a lot of vodka these days. Propaganda-based art used ironically has been a staple in that set, in fact, for some time now, so this would hit the 'niche' dead center.

2. It must be smooth, smooth, smooth. I like a clean, neutral grain character, personally---the Crystal Head is actually very good, but my staple is a Texas microdistillery vodka, Dripping Springs. Grey Goose is a favorite high end; ice cold it's like drinking a cloud.

~Boar

1. No. I'm of the belief that the fancier the packaging, the more the company is using a gimmick to try and lure me in. I then equate that with an inferior product. The best vodkas out there (imo) all have the simplest bottle design. Grey Goose, Belvedere, Ketel One, Kremlyovskaya (you've probably never heard of this one, and I stumbled upon it by accident), Danzka - all use very simple packaging. The most you will see from any of these brands is a cloudy-glass bottle with a clear window showing a picture in the background. Hell, the Danzka comes in a metal jug!

2. Smooth, smooth, smooth. You have to be able to drink it neat, frozen, and have minimal bite. It also HAS to be distilled multiple times. I think most of the super-premium are up around 4-5x? I do not want a cruching hangover if I decide to put away the majority of a bottle one hot, summer night.

Contrary to popular belief it isn't how well the vodka goes down ice cold. Hell rubbing alcohol will go down easily near its freezing point. So the real test is how well it goes down at room temperature. Distillation numbers are getting to be a point of one-upsmanship but I'll agree that4 or 5 is probably required.

The packaging needs to be able to be opened without mangling the can, maybe some latches on the side?