• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Open scotch/bourbon/etc. bottle question...

slevy007

The Broke Smoker & 2006 Ash Standing Champion!
Hey guys,

I got a question.. probably pretty basic and fundamental..After opening a bottle of scotch/bourbon/rye, etc.. how long would you say would these bottles last, recorked? I only ask, because my father and I have been buying several different scotches/bourbons as of late, and I have been opening several of them to try, without aiming to finish them incredibly soon..
This hobby is starting to look as encompassing as cigars LOL!!

Also, does anyone have thoughts on High West Double Rye!, Bulleit Rye and Knob Creek Rye?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

I think they should last for a realtively long time, as long as the seal is tight when it's recorked. However, I would certainly wait for AVB's answer.

As for the rye's, I've only had the Double Rye and thought it was pretty good with a splash of water.

I've had a several bottles open past the 6 year mark without issue. I do what I can to keep my bottles out of the sun & heat but have been known to take a bottle out by the pool in the middle of summer. The general consensus is the closer to empty the bottle gets the quicker the whisky deteriorates. Once I get down to 1/4 bottle or so I try to finish it within a year. So far I haven't had any issues other than 1 cork breaking off in the neck of the bottle of Glen Ord 12 which was 3/4 full at the time.

I don't drink a lot of rye whiskey but did enjoy the bottle of Bulleit Rye I purchased. John Hansell gave it a middle of the road score of 85.
Whisky Advocate Blog

^^ Pretty much nailed it there ^^

Key is to understand that alcohol evaporates in the air in the bottle. Now Sun / heat will help the evaporation process as long as there an unsaturated air volume in the bottle.

Slevy, bad news bro... Those bottles you've opened won't last but a week or two :(. It seems there's no way you and pops can drink all that hooch so as much as it pains me, ill volunteer.

I'm so sorry for your loss, addy in profile. :thumbs:

I drink very little, but love to try stuff. Due to that, I have some bottles that were opened 10+ years ago. Now, my palate changed, or they now taste "off".. I have changed my approach, and just open one or two bottles at a time. Then I transfer to smaller bottles which leave no air gap. That said, I am by no means savvy in this area, and am going by my very limited experience.

I can barely get a bottle of scotch to last me more than two months tops. I must be doing something wrong.

If the bottle is over half full I've had some go a decade. If it is less then half full you might have a 2 years and if it is a quarter or less just kill it off and get another.

avb: i noticed on one of your pics, (i think it was you) you had saran wrap around the top.

i was worried about this too with a fairly expensive bottle of scotch.

Yes I have one bottle that I'm doing my best to preserve for as long as possible and that is my Glenlivet 50 yo. I only have some on my birthday and I would like it to last a decade. The inside is filled with nitrogen too and the plastic wrap just keeps a better seal.

I have never considered nor have I ever had this problem.

Doc

I thought the rules was... once you open it you have to finish it! At least by the end of the weekend.