• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Opinions needed

rostius

Ok, here's where I'm at and those of you with experience maybe can help me.
I have a 250 count humidor, good one, that I've outfitted with a cigar oasis humidifier.

I was using glycol with beads but I had huge fluctuations due to the humidity in my house. No AC. I bought the cigar oasis and plugged in and now have no problems whatsoever set at 70. My problem is that it takes up a lot of room in there, almost 1/2 of the space, and with my collection growing I've now run out of space.

I basically have a few options and would like opinions:
Option 1:
Buy another humidor and also go with a oasis but I am afraid I will run out of room quickly...
Option 2:
Make a coolidor and insert the oasis in there and store my boxes in there and keep a few loose ones in the humidor.
Option 3:
Make the coolidor but then convert a cabinet I have but with that come the questions 1. Will one oasis XL do the whole cabinet and 2. where do I buy spanish cedar in Toronto or GTA?

Thanks for your help and pour on the suggestions!!

I had the same problem. I have a 500 ct with an oasis and recently ran out of room, so ordered 2lbs of heartfelt beasd, loaded my cooler up with all the boxes and 1.5lbs of beads and bought a 100 count for my everyday smokes and threw in the last .5 lbs of beads. The world is now in harmony! :laugh:

Whatever you do, do not use glycol with beads!

I was using glycol with beads

Am I reading this correctly?

Just use water with your beads......You might have better luck.
Other than that, I wold go with the biggest cooler you thing the CO will handle, and uses the humi for the daily stuff

Tim

Are you supposed to use glycol with beads? I thought you only used distilled water. Could the glycol have been throwing off your level?

If money was no issue I'd have a cabinet. If skills were no issue I'd build or convert something. But since I have no money or skills. I love coolidors. I'm working on filling my second. Can't beat the storage capacity for the price. I have one 150ct humidor and that's probably all I'll ever have.

You would probably not need the oasis in the coolidor either, just beads.

2 and 3.

Make a coolerdor immediately to keep your smokes in and then build out the cabinet. Once your cabinet is done, go with beads, beads, beads and distilled water. You can't "overbead" a humidor so you have no worries on that count.

I have 2 Vinodors and each has about 1.75 lbs of 65% beads as well as CPU fans for circulation and the setup works like a champ.

I had the same problem. I have a 500 ct with an oasis and recently ran out of room, so ordered 2lbs of heartfelt beasd, loaded my cooler up with all the boxes and 1.5lbs of beads and bought a 100 count for my everyday smokes and threw in the last .5 lbs of beads. The world is now in harmony! :laugh:

I have a similar setup as you so I would vote option #2. I use a frigidor for my boxes, and I keep a few singles from each box in a desktop humidor I got from Holt's recent desktop humidor sale.

Ok, here's the next question then as I was given bad advise before by the cigar store
What is the best set up for a coolidor and how do I maintain the best way??
Using beads, do I just add distilled water and then this will maintain the right humidity?
I AM A NEWBIE WITH BAD INFORMATION.

Ok, here's the next question then as I was given bad advise before by the cigar store
What is the best set up for a coolidor and how do I maintain the best way??
Using beads, do I just add distilled water and then this will maintain the right humidity?
I AM A NEWBIE WITH BAD INFORMATION.

Go HERE and read through heartfelt's tutorial. It should answer your questions.

D

Buy a cooler, larger then you think you'll need. Clean it out with a mild detergent and let it dry. Put cigars and boxes in cooler with Hygro and Beads. I usually put distilled water in a shot glass and sit in the cooler, the beads will absorb as much as they need. I've heard of people applying distilled water right to the beads, but I think Viper said that might cause them to crack. Either way works.

Let it go from there and check on it and don't stress over it.

Use the coolerdor, cant go wrong with it. I dont see a need to convert a cabinet just yet. Use the humi for everyday smokes, and see how long the cooler lasts.

Buy a cooler, larger then you think you'll need. Clean it out with a mild detergent and let it dry. Put cigars and boxes in cooler with Hygro and Beads. I usually put distilled water in a shot glass and sit in the cooler, the beads will absorb as much as they need. I've heard of people applying distilled water right to the beads, but I think Viper said that might cause them to crack. Either way works.

Let it go from there and check on it and don't stress over it.

Throw an Oust fan in there for some air movement and you are good to go.

OK, I've purchased the cooler, purchased beads and a hydrogemeter from Heartfelt and just have to wait for them to come in. Will keep you guys all appraised. Thanks for the help, shows you what advise you can get out there!!

Thanks again, I'll put some pics up when it's all set up.

OK, I've purchased the cooler, purchased beads and a hydrogemeter from Heartfelt and just have to wait for them to come in. Will keep you guys all appraised. Thanks for the help, shows you what advise you can get out there!!

Thanks again, I'll put some pics up when it's all set up.

...and don't be a stranger also. Not all of us bite, but some of the older one's will for some OR Anejos....

Well gentleman, I recieved my stuff from Heartfelt and bought the cooler and made the coolidor. I switched the Oasis to the coolidor with the handy dandy hygrometer from Heartfelt and found out something interesting...

My Oasis was running about 10 off for humidity!! I had it set at 70 but after using the calibrated hygrometer it remained constant at 60. So I jacked it up and now is running at a perfect 68-70.

I also purchased beads and have them in my 250 count but can't get the humidity up to 65. (yes, it is a 65% bead) It seems to be staying at 60 for about 3 days after I gently sprayed them with distilled water as recommended by the fine members here. The humidor has been in use for awhile so it doesn't need seasoning and I've also added a small container with with distilled water beside and no rise yet. Any ideas??

Well gentleman, I recieved my stuff from Heartfelt and bought the cooler and made the coolidor. I switched the Oasis to the coolidor with the handy dandy hygrometer from Heartfelt and found out something interesting...

My Oasis was running about 10 off for humidity!! I had it set at 70 but after using the calibrated hygrometer it remained constant at 60. So I jacked it up and now is running at a perfect 68-70.

I also purchased beads and have them in my 250 count but can't get the humidity up to 65. (yes, it is a 65% bead) It seems to be staying at 60 for about 3 days after I gently sprayed them with distilled water as recommended by the fine members here. The humidor has been in use for awhile so it doesn't need seasoning and I've also added a small container with with distilled water beside and no rise yet. Any ideas??

Okay you've kind of answered your own question. Your humidor was set at 60% all along, with the oasis. So it will take quite a bit to get it up to 65% as you are seasoning it to a higher humidity point. Patience is the name of the game. Congrats on the coolidor!

give it time little brother, I had the same problem with my desk top, but after a week of keeping the beads wet, it slowly came up to the 65 that I was after.

Tim

I actually prefer it to run on the dry side of 65%...but that's just me.