• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Opinions on El Rico Habano Cigars.....?

Lightninrod

Believe me, I tried the Search function; both the one near the top of the page and the one at the bottom of the page and all I got was "Sorry, there must have been an error..". Then I scrolled through 12 pages on the "Cigar Reviews" forum, looking at titles and still no mention of that brand.

I've wanted to try a full flavored, semi-premium(due to cost), Nicaraguan cigar for a while now. I've been smoking primarily full-flavored Honduran cigars. I prefer the larger vitolas so I'm considering their 7X54 GHD.

I was just emailed a 'special' on these from an internet retailer and then after some net searching, I found them a little cheaper at Holts.

Anyone familiar with them, please comment on them or an alternative.

TIA

Dan

I've always felt that El Ricos were a strength for strength sake cigar. The Padron classic series, a Nic puro, is a lot better in my opinion.

Doc.

Yes..a potent cigar. I've enjoyed one occasionally, but the flavor is rather laid back, with a lot of body, and a kick if you havent eaten.

The El Rico Habano is an extremely strong cigar, perhaps one of the strongest available on the market.

The prelight aroma is ground black pepper. Not kidding.

And the taste is much along those lines. Dark, dark tobacco with a rich and intense pepper flavor, lots of spicy ligero, and all this under a very contrasting white ash (compared to the blackness of the wrapper).

That being said, they are a very interesting change of pace if you are interested in a strong cigar.

It also happens to be "the cigar in Ernesto's pocket" to paraphrase a poorly worded advertisement from El Credito that ran not long ago.

-Jess.

El Rico's were mostly Dominican tobacco with an Ecuadorian sun grown wrapper. I just noticed that Holt's has them listed as Ecuadorian wrapper, but binder and filler to be Nicaraguan. If this is true then that is something totally new. The ones I smoked years ago had no Nic tobacco in them at all. They have always been a rustic, strong one dimensional smoke which I personally don't care for, if there had been Nic tobacco in them, I probably would have liked them. If you are looking for that Nicaraguan flavor then Padron regular line is what you want. Holt's is the last place I would buy any cigar. Their prices are at retail with no discounts. If you need a source for the Padrons, let me know and I can point you in the right direction.

I got one of these in a three pack with the La Gloria Cubanas. I don't remember it being very strong, but if everyone else says it is, then I guess you could say that. Out of the three I had, I thought the maduro LGC was the strongest.

The smaller "Clubs" have a bit more flavor than the bigger ones. I haven't tried the maduro, though.

When I am in the mood for a strong cigar with allot of spice El Rico really satiates my taste buds, I am not head over heels for them, but when in the mood they do right by me. I am not generally a full bodied buzz bomb smoker, and these absolutely fit that criteria. I do however have a serious qualm with these cigars being, that they always have to be heavily inspected for beetles, as I have opened many a box which upon opening had many a holes.

These used to be a lot better than they are today.

There is a thread discussing if the La Glorias have lost their magic since the days of the boom, and while I concede that they LGCs are not as good as they once were, I still smoke them regularly. The ERH however have really gone downhill, to the point of not really being smokable in my mind. All the wonderful pepper and chili flavor of the old ERH is gone and they are really thin and paper-y tasting to me now. Though still very potent.

Skip 'em and go directly to the Padron 2Ks...

I tried a few of the smaller sizes. They're a bit strong and peppery with some bite when young. Overall, an okay smoke that I have a few of but wouldn't want a box.