• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Opinions wanted

DesertRat

Perpetual Newbie
I'm in the market for a new gadget and I'm down to a choice of the following two;

iPad, 64GB Wi-Fi + 3G

Or

iPhone 4, 32GB

I will definitely buy one of them next week but I'm split 50/50 and can't decide on which.

Price and/or price difference is irrelevant to me as a deciding factor.

I like the idea of the iPad because I can use it as a portable computer for productivity applications (word processing, spreadsheets, etc.), but I also enjoy surfing the net, playing games, e-books and such. It can playback video in HD in a manner that watching a movie is actually enjoyable and given the size of the screen it is easy to read the text on web pages and documents. The ability to view and manipulate images is not a huge perk for me although I do like that I can set the iPad to run a continuous slide show of images (like a digital picture frame) while it is docked at my desk or at home. Of course there is also the cool factor to consider.

The iPhone will do most of what an iPad will with a few exceptions, just on a smaller scale. It also has the obvious phone component and being more compact it is easier to carry around plus I'd be carrying only one device instead of two (phone & iPad). IMHO the smaller size however is a drawback since it limits the viewing area and makes it harder for me to read without having to wear my reading glasses. Another advantage of the size though is the many apps available while I'm out and about.

I'd love to get your opinions on why you would choose one over the other especially if you own an iPad or iPhone 4 (or both).

Thanks!

Danny

Danny, I use an iMac, my son has both the iMac and the iPad Wi-Fi 32mb. I asked him what he couldn't do on his iPad that he can do on his iPad. His answer was NOTHING. Loves it.

I've seen it and you are right, screen size is exceptional, and some of the apps are so good it is scary. If I was buying right now, I would hope all over the iPad. Yes, size is not the same as a pack of smokes, but the visual is way heavy.

Don't see how you can miss with the iPad.

Let me know, I'm curious as to what you end up doing.

Ed

If it were me, I'd pick the iPad. Then you can carry a man-purse to hold it. :D

Seriously though, iPad all the way. Use a phone for calling.

Really depends on how much of a content consumer you are. If you want email, web, weather, games, etc. available at any time, then the iPhone makes sense. Anything you can do on the iPad, you can do on the iPhone. Doesn't work the other way around, though.

If you're a casual consumer, then an iPad makes more sense. Same content, but while sitting at home, sitting at work, maybe while riding in the car. Fairly relaxed content consumption, though, since it's a device that you're unlikely to carry everywhere, all the time.

I have an iPhone 3G and given this decision, I'd go with an iPhone 4. I have a netbook that satisfies my casual consumption needs and the iPhone handles all of the other situations.

-John

I agree with John, what do you typically use for info/tech now? I think the only pro that the iPhone has is that you can pull it out of your pocket at any time...But in my opinion, you can get that with any other smart phone. I love my new Droid, based solely on the fact that it is google based, so I have no allegiance to the iphones.

IMO, get the iPad! It all depends on your style, but I like the fact that it is a mini computer and the screen is decent.

iPad, avoid the large cellphone bills and have a nice large screen to tinker on! JMO

I think the iPad is the way to go. The iPhone is nice, but I think it's going to be outpaced by the Android market real quick. Quote from a report I heard on the news this morning...
"Android users tend to be more hard-core data users, whereas the iPhone may be used more by casual users who like the phone because it's cool.
"The iPhone makes much more of a lifestyle and social statement than an Android phone makes," Finegold said. "People interested in an Android are looking for horsepower."

Oh yeah, P.S. the iPhone is already behind the curve, the new droids kick some serious ass, for much cheaper! :whistling:

I've never used an iPhone...but my EVO running Adroid 2.1 is amazing!

thanks for all the advice, guys.

After reading many reviews and soliciting advice here and on a couple other forums, I have settled on the iPad.

The iPhone has some nice aspects to it but I really like the larger screen while still keeping a relatively small footprint compared to a laptop. Plus I already have a smartphone if I need it in a pinch.

Thanks again!