• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Opus Forbidden X - Which one is this?

thefridaycigar

I traded this from a fella I met at a shop in Winnipeg, MB, Canada. I'm not too familiar with Opus X special releases and I couldn't narrow this down. I can't say for sure if the cigar itself is real or not, but the band is for sure real, and the cigar is well-made. The guy told me that he got this from the 2002 Prometheus humidor (which he says he purchased one of) but the size/shape doesn't fit with any of those released. Can anyone tell me (with relative certainty) what this one is? It's approx. 48 (+/- 1) RG and 6 3/16 ", and yes, the wrapper is as dark as the photo shows. He had five of them, so they either came from a full box or a special release humidor (assuming that it's real)

Fuente%20Forbidden%20X%20%281%29.jpg

Any help would be appreciated, guys.

What, if you don't mind me asking, did you trade for it?
I traded him a Cohiba Siglo VI from '07 for it. The fella was a nice guy with plenty of other rare cigars in his locker at the shop, including a Cohiba 35 Aniversario humidor and some Cuban Davidoffs. The topic of non-CCs came up and I told him I've liked most Opus' that I've tried; he told me he hates them and asked if I wanted to trade for what he had. I also gave him two Cuaba Distinguidos for an Opus Petit Lancero and Robusto with yellowed cellophane (he didn't know the age on them).

I think you traded up as the Opus Forbidden X is one of my favorites in the whole wide world.

You may need to sign in to get this.

John

Edi to add: perhaps I need to try the Siglo Vi!

I think you traded up as the Opus Forbidden X is one of my favorites in the whole wide world.

John

I'll smoke it and see, but an aged Siglo VI is a true jem!

Would you say it's likely a "Cigar in the Bottle/FFOX Royal 8" from Casa Fuente?

Would you say it's likely a "Cigar in the Bottle/FFOX Royal 8" from Casa Fuente?

Sure looks like it! It may be the lighting, but the wrapper on it sure looks a might dark.

I have to agree about the Siglo VI. :whistling:

Sure looks like it! It may be the lighting, but the wrapper on it sure looks a might dark.

Thanks for the ID. I actually have two and both have very dark wrappers. The photo doesn't lie! ALMOST a maduro...

I have to agree about the Siglo VI. :whistling:

Price (and hype) aside, have you smoked one more than five years old? If not, PM me and I'll give you the chance ;)

Hmmm, okay nevermind. I confused this cigar with another.

Prometheus 2005 Platinum Edition DVD Set
Production: 10,000 units
MSRP: $60.00

Includes:

Two Forbidden X cigars (6 1/4 x 48) in crystal tubes.

FFFXTubedCropped.jpg

FFOX2005DVDCover.jpg

The Platinum Edition comes with two DVDs:
The first DVD contains: The Fuente Family: An American Dream and Fuente Fuente OpusX: The Making of a Legend.
The second DVD contains the unreleased footage: A Day at Chateau de la Fuente, The Inner World of the Fuente Factory: Making of the Movies

John

More than likely that is what it is. Its the only one I didn't purchase at Casa Fuente. You got one hell of a deal either way if its real. :thumbs:
I have Opus X in the CFCF boxes that are so dark you would swear they are a Maduro. I know better. One way to check is if the band on tight or extremely loose. Generally the bands are on tight which I call it the "Fuente super glue." only a few Opus X have loose bands and this particular one did not. Not from my experience with them.
One way to truly know if its a real Opus X is just to fire it up. That is the true way to know.

I know my Opus X and a picture isn't the best way to identify authenticity.

Prometheus 2005 Platinum Edition DVD Set
Production: 10,000 units
MSRP: $60.00

Includes:

Two Forbidden X cigars (6 1/4 x 48) in crystal tubes.

FFFXTubedCropped.jpg

FFOX2005DVDCover.jpg

The Platinum Edition comes with two DVDs:
The first DVD contains: The Fuente Family: An American Dream and Fuente Fuente OpusX: The Making of a Legend.
The second DVD contains the unreleased footage: A Day at Chateau de la Fuente, The Inner World of the Fuente Factory: Making of the Movies

I'm inclined to think that these aren't the same because 1) they didn't come in tubes, and 2) he had five of them, which means he would have had to purchase three DVD sets.

More than likely that is what it is. Its the only one I didn't purchase at Casa Fuente. You got one hell of a deal either way. :thumbs:
[/quote]

Good to hear. I think we'll smoke and review them for the site this week, but I want to make sure I post accurate info on it.

Thanks for the effort guys!

John

More than likely that is what it is. Its the only one I didn't purchase at Casa Fuente. You got one hell of a deal either way if its real. :thumbs:
I have Opus X in the CFCF boxes that are so dark you would swear they are a Maduro. I know better. One way to check is if the band on tight or extremely loose. Generally the bands are on tight which I call it the "Fuente super glue." only a few Opus X have loose bands and this particular one did not. Not from my experience with them.
One way to truly know if its a real Opus X is just to fire it up. That is the true way to know.

I know my Opus X and a picture isn't the best way to identify authenticity.

I'll smoke it tomorrow and let you know the verdict.

PM sent and one thing I would recommend is reading some of my Opus X threads in the Review Section. I've covered all kinds of HTF ones but never had a chance to have one that is truly rare. I talked with my friend OpusXKC about this. Sure I could probably get one as I have never actively searched one out. As I would just smoke and review it. LOL!!!

But in all seriousness is smoke it and after your write one you want to type up, do a search about Opus X. You will get a pretty good idea if its real. From one I can see, it definitely looks real. And don't worry if its in a glass tube or not as I explained in a PM why it could not be in one. Either way...enjoy it after a full meal. :D I'm not joking when I recommend that statement.

I would tend to think MMM has it right. I smoked a cigar that looked just like this and I think it was the one Kirk posted.

HERE IS THE LINK TO MY REVIEW

If it is the same cigar, and has been stored properly, you will really enjoy it. This was a fantastic smoke. As you can tell, this was right after I woke up, so I didn't think it had a whole lot of power to it. Nice find! :thumbs:

Brandon

Okay, I should have just stayed with my gut and kept what I posted instead of editing it. I have the set that Kirk posted about, and that's what you have TFC. It is NOT an Opus maduro. Some Opus wrappers can be very dark, don't ask me why, but they can just me. Until I held a true Opus X maduro in my hand did I really see the difference from some of the darker Opus I have in my humidor.

All in all, a nice cigar, and likely from the set Kirk posted. Congratulations on your trade. :thumbs:

So my buddy and I each smoked one of these and the results were so disappointing we never finished it. Plenty of strength, spice, wood and leather in the first third, but it became bitter pretty quickly (even while using the one-puff-per-minute method) and the flavours didn't change at all. The bitterness got the best of us, but I have to say it was a major let down. I'm not going to bother reviewing it because we didn't even finish.

With that said, it's difficult to know what the storage conditions were like for the life of the cigar.

What, if you don't mind me asking, did you trade for it?
I traded him a Cohiba Siglo VI from '07 for it. The fella was a nice guy with plenty of other rare cigars in his locker at the shop, including a Cohiba 35 Aniversario humidor and some Cuban Davidoffs. The topic of non-CCs came up and I told him I've liked most Opus' that I've tried; he told me he hates them and asked if I wanted to trade for what he had. I also gave him two Cuaba Distinguidos for an Opus Petit Lancero and Robusto with yellowed cellophane (he didn't know the age on them).

So my buddy and I each smoked one of these and the results were so disappointing we never finished it. Plenty of strength, spice, wood and leather in the first third, but it became bitter pretty quickly (even while using the one-puff-per-minute method) and the flavours didn't change at all. The bitterness got the best of us, but I have to say it was a major let down. I'm not going to bother reviewing it because we didn't even finish.

With that said, it's difficult to know what the storage conditions were like for the life of the cigar.

Sounds like it might have been a fair trade.