• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Opus Petite Lancero

sgates

Cigar: Opus Petite Lancero
Size: 6.25" X 39
Year: Second quarter of 2005 (I believe from my notes)

First of all, this cigar smokes bigger than it's size indicates, just like all the other smaller format Opus. The cigar is a nice molted, hefty example that has some strong spice smelling at the foot of the cigar. Using a xikar to cut the figurado head clean, leaving a slight decrease in ring gauge to concentrate the nuances of this cigar, revealed a pre-draw that was free flowing with ample spice on the lips as usual.

img106.jpg

Light was slightly eratic, which could be due to conditions (windy day outside on the smoking stoop at work). Burst of unadulterated spice hit the palate like a kick in the teeth. After a couple puffs, this slightly subdued and some muddled fruit notes started to come through and the spice became more defined - straight up paprika.

img107.jpg

The burn started slightly ragged, but eventually corrected itself without using the st dupont at all. What aroma I could get when the wind died down slightly was just like the taste - spice again. After the first quarter, the spice remained, but heavy notes of tobacco and leather started to come along. This cigar kept things interesting by changing it's profile inch by inch and sometimes puff by puff.

img108.jpg

Smoke was ample and the ash held for 1" + if you wanted to push it. The overall profile of the cigar changed from heavy tobacco and some sweet spice, back to stronger spice and some fruity notes - which kept this extremely entertaining to see what would come next. The cigar also smoked cool as I didn't try to puff on it too much due to the ring gauge & regular clearing after each ash kept things burning nice and clean.

img109.jpg

img110.jpg

img111.jpg

Towards the end, this small opus became bitter - showing that it was probably still a little too young. I have some other sizes and some more petite lanceros from this same purchase and will let them sit another year or so and see how they develop.

img112.jpg

Overall, this was a vitamin N bomb that made me regret not eating lunch first - but otherwise was a good example of an opus that might have been slightly too young at the moment, but nonetheless very enjoyable.

Seth :thumbs:

Great review :thumbs:.

My favorite Opus, but seemingly the hardest for me to find :(.

I really enjoy this cigar I seem to taste and smell raisins emanating from this smoke and yes it's definitely one to have after a meal. I've got a box of these on standby right now. Hopefully I dont wait too long and lose em but I juust picked up some other suff that I've been holding off on for a while.

My new favorite size of Opus and I just can't find enough of them to satisfy my appetite! :blush:

I was fortunate to try one from Loren's stash with an unknown amount of age on it (1-5 years). It was easily the most refined and complex opus I have had to date, really fantastic. I can't wait to get my hands on some more