• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

opus x & Ashton vsg quality ( comments)

kurtholz

Hi all

It's been a long time since i picked up any of these, seems like the last opus x or vsg's have just been very super strong harsh tobacco flavor but not the wonderful flavors they came out with when originally made many years ago seems like they have gone from a wonderful spice element to just harsh strong tobacco flavor

has anyone been satisfied with recent production?

i would like to pick up a few boxes if they have improved recently

any comments

seems like the opus when first released many years ago was as good as anything made , feedback much appreciated, and where to buy

i have one 9 x 47 in it's own box, are these still made, the single i have left is about 8-10 years old, what's the general consensus on these and where's a good place to buy, think Ule's was my last place to pick these up, but both brands seem to have lost there edge

please correct me if i am wrong,

have a pretty good supply of old vsg's, but even these havent mellowed much

what do you all think

regrads

Kurt

Heya Kurt,

I gotta say, I'm in pretty much complete disagreement on all accounts here. My favorite line is the VSG, and I've now had them all. It seems like everytime I smoke one I change my mind as to which vitola is my favorite.

In addition, I don't find them harsh at all. I think their best quality is delivering full flavor with sophistication and lack any harshness or nappy after taste. I think you have to give these another shot, my current favorite is the Illusion (6.5x44). Different smokes for different folks, but I can't imagine you finding that smoke "harsh".

As for the Opus, my knowledge is pretty limited, as I've only had about 5 vitolas. Yep, they're still pretty sought after as they continue to deliver quality and full flavor. I think the one you have is an Opus "A" (9.25x47), but I can't give you feedback on it having never smoked one. I can tell you it has a great reputation though. I don't have any sources for those, if you get one let me know, hehe. Enjoy the one you have though.

Hope your tastes for the VSGs come around, it's my favorite. Best of luck to ya.

I agre with Brick about the VSG's. They are also my favorites and have never let me down once. I have never had an Opus so I cannot comment. Try again and see. Do you think your palate has changed over the years and maybe that is the cause?

I have found not much change over the last year and a half but that's as far back as my experience with VSG extends. My preference seems to lean toward the narrower gauge (Tres Mystique and Illusion) rather than the fatties and those have performed great over the last 9 months. In fact, a slightly aged Illusion I recently smoked was one of the best cigars I've had in recent months. It was deliciously rich, deep and very, very satisfying.

I don't have much comment on the Opus X line. Not enough experience to really form a useful opinon.

Wilkey

I have to agree with everyone else on this topic, with regards to the VSG. They have always been terrific, never had a bad one. My favorite is the torpedo. I can't say about the Opus X, as I haven't had the pleasure.

well, good news, the VSG i have are probably bucking 5 years +, same as my few remaining opusx, so maybe they have pulled it together, or maybe i just got a bad batch

thanks so much, after all the excitement, i am looking for a few choices this side of the border

inmate # 786654

Kurt

hahahaha