• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Opus X Fuente Fuente

CulturedHick

Aderaline Junkie
After a long day at work and with dinner out of the way, I decided a little relaxation was in order. I filled my glass with Four Roses Small Batch and headed to the humidor. I wanted something better that the “usual” smoke, so to the bottom of the humidor I went. I found an Opus X Fuente Fuente that I bought from LilBastage during his “Big ol’ Sale” for the Scouts. Perfect. I have not had this size Opus before.

It was hot and humid on the back porch this evening so I turned on the ceiling fan, tasted my bourbon and unwrapped the cigar. I find it to beautifully constructed with one fine vein, a little tooth and no soft spots. A prelight sniff reveals a nice woodsy/earthy aroma. After clipping the cap, the cold draw contains a nice woodsy flavor with a little spice. Now I toasted the foot, set it down to rest for a minute and sample my bourbon again. A couple of small puffs then a deep draw provide a great deal of thick smoke with the flavors of well aged tobacco, wood and just a little peppery spice. This is going to be one great smoke!

As I continue thru the first 1/3 of the cigar, the woodsy and earthly flavors are still there with the pepper becoming more prevalent. A few puffs later I start to detect a hint of cinnamon in the woodsy flavor. About ½ ways thru, the pepper starts to mellow, the cinnamon flavor is more noticeable and I taste some leather also. The last third is full of the woodsy, well aged tobacco flavor with a hint of sweetness and leather.

This was a great medium bodied, very flavorful cigar! The wood, earth and spice flavors were very well balanced; it never got harsh or bitter and pared very well with the Four Roses Small Batch. Due to the smoothness of this cigar, I think it had several years of age on it.

I had a great evening! Thanks for reading. I don’t normally write reviews, this being my second, but I enjoyed the cigar so much, I wanted to share the experience.

Nice review. The Fuente Fuente is one of my favorite sizes for Opus X.

Is it just me or has the Opus line gone slightly down hill compared to just 2 years ago...

I believe age plays a huge roll in th Opus family. The Fuente Fuente is one of my favorites. I have some form each of the last 7 years and the older they are the better they are! You were fortunate to try one with some age.

Opus with age is always a nice experience. I have found all the OpusX that I picked up in 2009 didn't smoke well fresh. A very bitter cigar so I stashed them away in the back of the humidor. I am now starting to revisit them and they have turned for the better. I think with another year on them then be really nice. But then again, the Opus that I've been picking up this year are smoking well fresh.