• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Opus X in tins

antaean

Did this happen to you?
I visited a B&M yesterday that was recommended as having a good selection. They had a few Opus left from a June shipment. I noticed they also had several of the 3-pack Opus X tins. I didn't have my reading glasses with me but the packs looked like they said "xtra rare reserve" on them. I looked at MMM's pinned thread and didn't see an MSRP on these. Does anyone have any info on this?

I think there were 3 of these packs left. I was too busy haggling over my other purchases to remember but I think they were asking $50ish. This is Michigan and has a high state tobacco tax. I may go back and buy them all if the price is reasonable.

Cheers,
antaean

Linky

From the linky:
"Notes: These metal Opus X "tins" contain regular production Opus X cigars, in three of the most popular sizes:

1. Robusto (5 ¼" x 50) ............................... MSRP = $36.50
2. Perfecxion X (6 ¼" x 48) ......................... MSRP = $39.50
3. Reserva D'Chateau (7" x 48) ................... MSRP = $42.50

These reusable, telescoping tins can also be used as a carrying case for cigars. The cigars contained in these cases are all regular production Opus X cigars, and these cigar tins are sent regularly to tobacconists that are Opus X account holders.

Interestingly, these cigars also have cedar wrap around them, so the Robusto size at least will be very easy to confuse with the Opus X Series X Robusto, which is not a regular production Opus blend. "

I've yet to pay anywhere near msrp on these :(

I think Rbbrock hooked a few members up here at a really good price. PM him and see if he can hook you up again.

And let me add that while the tins look cool, they are very fragile. They bend easy and the paint comes off. Not recommended to use as a pocket humidor at all.

My local Tinder Box had these before I left on Monday at $43.50 for the robustos, $47 for the PerfX and $50 for RDC. I'll be back in Tucson on Saturday and can check then what they have left and confirm prices.

I think Rbbrock hooked a few members up here at a really good price. PM him and see if he can hook you up again.

This is true, but...

His BM is out of them :p

This is also true.

And let me add that while the tins look cool, they are very fragile. They bend easy and the paint comes off. Not recommended to use as a pocket humidor at all.

And this sucks. I presume this means that you found out the hard way, Shawn?

Only used it one time Bob, and it was a bit dinged up when I brought it home... I'll stick to my Little Havana three-finger in the future :)

It does look pretty spiffy sitting next to my humidor though and the cigars where damn good so no complaints! :thumbs:

Thanks for the great info!!! I guess I was a bit confused by the designation Xtra on the tins, as I had not seen this mentioned nor pictured.

Cheers,
antaean

Thanks for the great info!!! I guess I was a bit confused by the designation Xtra on the tins, as I had not seen this mentioned nor pictured.

Cheers,
antaean

It says 'Rare Estate Resevera'....that may be what you read. ???

Cheers,
antaean

I will go back to the shop tomorrow to check on this. My recollection was Xtra Rare Estate Reserva, but that may have just been my dementia.

Cheers,
antaean

I will go back to the shop tomorrow to check on this. My recollection was Xtra Rare Estate Reserva, but that may have just been my dementia.

Those are th ones that are sold at MSRP :laugh:

I went back to the B&M this morning to check the tins again. The language on the tins says:

Chateau de la Fuente, Rare Estate Reserve, 1992, 3 Xtra Rare Cigars,

on the reverse side it says Robustos.

So these look quite like the example on vitolas.net

Cheers,
antaean

Also, note that the tins are pinched at the top to form three round-ish holes for cigars. It's not just a wide mouth. You can kinda see this in the photo. So, it makes it difficult to put anything the same size or larger in them. I bought the larger pack, gonna use it as a 'show' robusto carrier.

I agree that these do say 3 xtra rare cigars on the front of the tin along with a picture of carlos and carlito. The tin pictured on moki's site only has a picture of the tin's top backside. With that being said, other than the cedar sleeve I dont think that there is a difference between these and the normal release. Although they are very good but then again it's an Opus X.