• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Opus X Perfexcion X from 2004

sinnyc

Tibi ipsi esto fidelis.
Manufacturer: Arturo Fuente
Brand: Opus X
Name: Perfecxion X
Production Year: 2004 (from the Holiday Sampler)
Smoking time: about 1 hour 45 minutes.

Examination: Beautiful presentation. The rich, cinnamon-brown body is smooth and nearly perfect. There is a wonderful aroma – sweet and almost like fermenting fruit - that is very similar to the 2005 Carlito God of Fire I smoked recently.

Light: It toasted and lit easily and completely with a slightly uneven burn due to a very small runner right at the foot. The cigar corrected itself in less than an inch.

First Third: There is a honeyed tanginess to this cigar as its aroma promised; great on the nose. Dark currant, rich toasted vanilla (for lack of a better word) nougat, a very subtle woodiness, and a very smooth, medium tobacco taste all combine early on for an intricate smoke. The ash is a uniform light to medium gray, firm and fairly dense.

Second Third: The hints of deep currants/berries persist although they have faded a bit. No more vanilla but the overall honey-sweet, heavy smoke continues to hold a grand creaminess and rich tobacco notes. As with the 2007 Opus xXx I smoked several weeks ago, there is still a sense that the cigar would give me more if I had just waited a bit longer. That said, this smoke is far superior to the disaster that was the xXx. Although I have only smoked a double handful of Opus cigars, it seems clear to me that they improve greatly over time and will reward patience.

Final Third: The lightest notes have faded away now leaving the ever-present creamy sweetness entwined with the wonderful toasted tobacco accompanied by new notes of roasted coffee beans and a touch of very dark chocolate. True right down to the nub without a touch of bitterness.

Overall impression: An outstanding cigar with excellent construction and burn and a variety of complex but extremely well-balanced flavors which developed throughout the smoke. The xXx I smoked some weeks ago might as well have been from another planet. They were so dissimilar that I don't think it would even be fair to compare them.

xXx = :(

Perfexcion X = :thumbs:

Nice review. It is amazing what even a years worth of age will do to these. Although, I have enjoyed some freshies also.