• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Opus X prices REALLY worth the premium? Prices are really starting ge

comptalk

I do love Opus X cigars.  They are some of my favorite.  However, I was looking in to buying a box or two this year and oh my, the prices seemed to had jumped a bit from last year.  Are these cigars really worth the exporbabnt premium now a days?  You can latterly buy two, may be even three boxes of Cuban Montecristo 2's for the same price of one box of some Opus X variants.

What am I missing here??

For a price at or near msrp they are well worth it to me. Check the vendor forum here for reasonable prices on them. I smoke them a lot and if I had the money they'd be what I smoke most of them time. But. ...I have no issue admitting I'm a Fuente whore.

I guess it comes down to personal preference.

I haven't looked into buying boxes of anything lately. I don't think this hard to find limited release stuff is something to chase down, but if it falls in the lap, well that's nice.

Comes down to what value is to the person spending there money.

Price is subjective. It all depends on the person paying the money. Some may view paying $15 for a cigar as ridiculous while another may not bat an eye to spend $500 for a box.

I've spent the same amount of dollars on one bottle of beer that would buy a case of another beer. Is it worth it to me? Yeah. To someone else it would be inconceivable.

My guess is if you're questioning the price that much, it's probably not worth it.

Having just seen boxes of Lusitanias at close to $10 per stick just this week it's kind of hard to justify spending $5+ per stick more on Opus, and I am also a Fuente whore.

10 - 17 a stick, I am fine with.  It's when it gets to be 22 + a stick it becomes a bit absurd.  I have no choice but to buy them online as none of my local BM's stock them.  Then again, I buy most of my cigars online.  Just venting I guess.  

My answer would be "no".

kona1000 said:
I guess it comes down to personal preference.
I haven't looked into buying boxes of anything lately. I don't think this hard to find limited release stuff is something to chase down, but if it falls in the lap, well that's nice.
Comes down to what value is to the person spending there money.
kona1000 is spot on.

Personally, I like Opus X better than Cubans. A lot better, but that's just me. Worth the price? I've paid full MSRP for boxes of Lost City before and thought they were well worth it, but generally, full boxes are a little bit outside a schoolteacher's pay grade.  God of Fire runs a bit more, but is easier to find, and I like them even more than Opus.

~Boar

Maybe... hard to justify over other cigars that I would consider equal or better at much lower prices...

Only you can say if they are 'worth it' to you, based on your tastes and likes.  Price is relative and has to be weighed against your own personal preferences.  No one can answer that one for you.

I guess the good news is that both OpusX's and Anejo's are far more available than they were a few years back.  Being able to order a BOX of OpusX's was simply unheard of for quite a while.  Now they can be found in stock with a couple phone calls.

Any chance you can PM some retailers that sell them?  Perhaps the markup where I usually ordered them has just been increased due to greed..  Would like to check out other places if given the opportunity.

Any chance you could pick up the phone?  It's really not rocket surgery......check with the retailers that advertise deals here in the "Cigar Retailers Forum" and the 'usual suspects' among the big on line guys.  OpusX's really aren't that rare, anymore.

One of the best sticks I've ever smoked was a 6 year old Perfection X.  The key to a Opus is proper aging as they do get MUCH better with 2 years +.

But I agree with some of the posters at 10-15 a stick Opus X's are good.

If you a paying 20+ you are paying too much.

I personally feel that Opus and Anejos are still worth the price tag at MSRP.  As stated by Tom, they can be had at MSRP, so I won't pay over that.  I smoke alot more Anejos than Opus, but again, that's just personal preference.

I find that both perform very well with age on them, as Brandon says.

It's subjective, as usual. :p

I enjoy CC's but hate buying them blind and figuring out how long they need to rest before they are good. When they are on, they can be amazing but I've never had to worry about the consistency or quality of an Opus and Anjeo. 

I bought BigJakes opus he said where all pre 2009 and they are awesome. I've smoke 3 of the 5'er.

Thanks BigJake these are great stogies and a nice size!!