• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Opus X Pussy Cat

Mr Peat

Rich Perelman, "Loren you have a Godlike Presence.
I first want to start off with thanking the BOTL that helped me get these to smoke. He will go nameless unless he wants to
step up. Thank you again.

DSCF0653.jpg

I did a visual inspection and the wrapper is good. I cut the cigar so that I could test the draw. It was great. I fired this cigar up
at 3:47pm on 2nd May 2010. First thing I noticed that this cigar has plenty of smoke off each puff. The burn was a little rough
at first. The first quality I pick up on is some peppery notes. I then exhaled some smoke out of the nasal passage and it does
seem to be a little mellow. I did pick up on a raspberry note while doing this. It did leave a unique taste on the lips. Seems to
have a underlying strength to it. Waiting to be unleashed.

DSCF0663.jpg

The burn finally evened out at the first 1/2" of the cigar. I'm still trying to place the taste I pick up off the wrapper and each puff.
This is a very unique cigar as I can not name another Opus X that this reminds me of so far. One thing that is a fact, I am picking
up on peppery notes after I blow out the smoke. For some reason, I think that I just ate a New York Strip Peppercorn Steak.

DSCF0669.jpg

A raspberry note just appeared again. Still plenty of smoke and the draw is great. This Opus X is one of the faster burning cigars
that is made. I can say this is the cigar if short on time, smoke one if you have it. Again, I pick up on a Candied Raspberry taste
with a side dish of white pepper after I just ashed the cigar.

Now here comes the really off the wall comment. The after taste I get when I blow the smoke out and wait a minute or two. I picked
up on the bubble gum you could buy in the bucket for 5 cents. I think it was Bubble Yum that I am thinking of. I know, a strange thought
and taste. I did exhale smoke through the nasal passage once again and this time, I am not picking up anything that would say this
is a young cigar like I do on so many new Opus X. The after taste still feels meaty. Like if I was chewing on a steak.

Now I exhaled the smoke through the nose and this time, I detected that this cigar is a little young. But exhaling the smoke this time it
did manage to bring some tears to the ears. Definitely can tell there is some strength to this cigar. Not a in your face and pound you into
a bloody pulp strong. This young taste isn't like the usual impression I get from other Opus X that are young. The transitions that take
place after blowing the smoke out are very unique and this time it reminded me of some Blood Orange tea I've had. If any have drank
some will know how unique the taste is.

DSCF0673.jpg

The burn is handling well in the 15+ mph winds. The band is needing to be taken off before it gets burnt. Score another Opus X band
taken off flawlessly. I'm glad I've had plenty of practice and I didn't even hurt the wrapper on the cigar. Doesn't seem like the traditional
Opus X that many are accustomed to smoking. Off this last puff, I had the impression I just took a drink of Jamaican Blue Mountain
Coffee while other times of pepper. I can not stress this enough that this is a unique cigar. The name may actually suit this cigar. I did
eat before hand so that probably helped a lot. I've noted it is picking up on the strength department.

DSCF0674.jpg

Another slight hint of raspberry pepper notes after taking a puff. I just ashed again. So far the cigar smoke has been pleasant and cool
in the mouth. Still picking up on strength the closer I get to finishing the cigar. Now I am feeling a slight nicotine buzz. I stopped the review
pretty much with less than 1" to finish. I just wanted to enjoy the last of it. It did get stronger at the end and the smoke started to get a little
hot at the end. I have pictures to upload and will get them linked later tonight. I enjoyed this cigar a lot and glad I have 4 more to sit on and
age. Curious what happens to them. :thumbs:

DSCF0682.jpg

Here is the rest of my pictures: http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/Mr_Peat/Opus%20X%20Pussycat/

Great review! I have not been able to track down any yet.

Not a easy cigar to track down either. None of my normal sources had them if that says how tough it is. Awaiting Photobucket to upload
the pictures and they will be going up shortly. :thumbs:

Excellent review Loren. You sure know your Opus. I am going to try one of these soon.

THIS is an opus....any questions?

Excellent review Mr. Peat, especially with the picking up of the various notes.

As always, a fantastic review and awesome pictures, Loren! :thumbs:

If I am ever in your neck of the woods, I'll be sure to bring a few Opus with me!

As always, a fantastic review and awesome pictures, Loren! :thumbs:

If I am ever in your neck of the woods, I'll be sure to bring a few Opus with me!

Glad you enjoyed it. This cigar wasn't exactly easy to get my hands on. If it wasn't for a generous BOTL on CP, I probably wouldn't
have got them. Since none of my sources have seen nor heard of them. I guess some lucky shops got them. Either way, it was
worth the wait to get some.

In a little over a month, all my cigars will be home and I will be able to take pictures of my Opus X addiction. I am looking forward to
having them home again. I will have a Coolidor for the first time and hopefully never again. But I need to make sure the Opus X
collection is in a safe and controlled environment. :love:

i smoked one of those yesterday morning and it was just ok. actually someone in the store asked me what i thought and my exact words were "uneventful"

opus x to me are so hit or miss and lately they have been nothing but miss. glad you enjoyed it and nice review.

i smoked one of those yesterday morning and it was just ok. actually someone in the store asked me what i thought and my exact words were "uneventful"

opus x to me are so hit or miss and lately they have been nothing but miss. glad you enjoyed it and nice review.
For the longest time I would have agreed with you that I thought they were good cigars, but not great cigars. I would take an Anejo over them any day. Recently I smoked one, and it was nearly perfect. Since then, I’ve been smoking them on a pretty regular basis(all different sizes) and can’t get my hands on enough of them. Either my palate is changing again, or the one’s I’ve had in my humi hit the perfect age, or something because right now every one I’ve smoked has been spot on.

Great review! I have 2 of these sleeping in my humi right now. I also received mine from a BOTL that was selling part of his collection...

I'm a big fan of the Opus X and Anejos. Tend to smoke the regular production sticks as the exotics are too hard to come by.

When did you cut your hair bro?

You mean the beard. I cut it off when it started getting nice here this year. I think back in March sometime. Its a normal ritual for me.
I cut it off in Sept 2009 and was shaving with a straight edge till Oct when it got really nasty and brutal here. We had over 30 inches
of snow in Oct 2009. Then between Nov till Feb it was hitting with the wind chill factor -40 degrees so I started growing a new beard.

Then axed it back in March I think. I just can't remember as time isn't something I keep track of in retirement. :laugh:

Where would be the best place to buy some Opus X? It would be a first time for me. I've been reading so much about them on this board that I can't wait to try one.

Where would be the best place to buy some Opus X? It would be a first time for me. I've been reading so much about them on this board that I can't wait to try one.

I seldom purchase the Regular line of Opus X any more. I concentrate on the CFCF boxes now. Sources for Opus X is hard to come by due to how
tough it is to get them in them in first place. Many stores limit their sales of them per customer. And since you are new to CP it will definitely be hard.

You have several options. Watch the Buy/Sell/Trade section and see if someone posts a sale for them. Usually Opus X goes down faster than a
$2 Hooker at a Football Convention. Again, its tougher to get Opus X than a Padron or even a Acid. :laugh: Thus you will need to be Johnny on the
spot when it comes to that section.

Another option would be to get in on the Newbie Sampler purchase found here: http://www.cigarpass.com/forumsipb/index.php?showtopic=29521
Hopefully they would toss in a Opus X but don't count on it.

A third option is to take is look at the Retailer section found here: http://www.cigarpass.com/forumsipb/index.php?showforum=10
Sometimes Opus X is sold there and again, you need to be Johnny on the spot or you will miss out.

Finally you could put it on your wish list and if someone ever bombs you, then they have some idea what you are looking to try. Again, I can
not stress this enough when I say Opus X isn't easy to come by like so many other cigars with them generally being released 4 times a year.

All good things come in time. Not everyone likes Opus X. I personally love them but I prefer the rare ones more. Which I tend to burn up on a
regular basis. :0

Thank you for that substantial post, Mr. Peat. Is there anything wrong with starting on the regular Opus X line, or should I just hold out for the rarer ones? I wonder if there is an Opus X list on this board somewhere which would help me to see which ones are better than others. I'll do some searching.

I'll check out the two links you posted and will keep an eye out in the BST for sure. Thanks!

Thank you for that substantial post, Mr. Peat. Is there anything wrong with starting on the regular Opus X line, or should I just hold out for the rarer ones? I wonder if there is an Opus X list on this board somewhere which would help me to see which ones are better than others. I'll do some searching.

I'll check out the two links you posted and will keep an eye out in the BST for sure. Thanks!

The Regular line is great smokes. You can't go wrong with them. But I prefer something different. While others collect cigars to smoke on a
special occasion and others collect to just collect. I personally collect to smoke. I don't care how rare a cigar is. I will burn any cigar at any
time. Even if Ihad in my possession a cigar that only 2 was made. I'd burn it in a heart beat.

Opus X is a love it or hate it cigar. My first one was a Opus X Super Belicoso. I couldn't afford many of the higher end cigars till 2002 when I
was awarded my 70% Disability Rated from the Veteran's Administration. Even then I couldn't really afford the higher end still. It wasn't till
2006 when I really was able to afford what I wanted to smoke. Like I said...good things come in time. If you can get one from the Regular
line, do so. Then smoke it after having a full meal. Since many have had problems with the strength of an Opus X. If you want a power
house, then you should look at a Opus X #4 or 5 and even a Power Ranger.

If you want a milder cigar, then you want to go with say the Reserve D'Chateau. Usually with a Opus X...the bigger it is, the milder it will
be. For the common line. Now what I smoke this doesn't always apply. I've posted many reviews on Opus X so you can get some idea
what I am talking about.

Once I do my trip to Kansas City and get my collection home, I will post a thread about it. I have some plans that I've set in motion which
will be one hell of a ride to read about. But things is on hold at the moment since I am buying a Honda CR-V which will be paid for in less
than 24 months. It just means I have to really selective when I purchase cigars and I have been doing that for almost a year now.

When did you cut your hair bro?

You mean the beard. I cut it off when it started getting nice here this year. I think back in March sometime. Its a normal ritual for me.
I cut it off in Sept 2009 and was shaving with a straight edge till Oct when it got really nasty and brutal here. We had over 30 inches
of snow in Oct 2009. Then between Nov till Feb it was hitting with the wind chill factor -40 degrees so I started growing a new beard.

Then axed it back in March I think. I just can't remember as time isn't something I keep track of in retirement. :laugh:

Heh. I don't know, looks like you got a makeover though. :)

Nothing wrong at all with buying/smoking the “regular” production Opus. That’s what us mere mortals have to do. I would tell you that it might be better to find a regular production opus for the first one you smoke. They can be hard to find, and a regular production stick is probably going to cost you between $12-18. If you pay much more than that, you are getting ripped off by a gouger. If you really want to try one of the rare sizes from the CFCF sets, or the other limited releases, you can expect to pay somewhere around $40-60. I won’t begin to try and tell you if they are worth the price, because that’s up to each person. I personally really, really like Opus, but at the same time I’ve had cigars I like better. Like Mr. Peat said, watch the B/S/T forum, stick around CP, and be a contributing member and who knows when one might just drop in your lap.