• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Opus X Pussy Cat

Don't waste your time hunting down fancy shaped opus before you have tried production sizes. They are all going to share the same profile and absent lots of smoking experience they will probably taste almost identical to an average palate.

When did you cut your hair bro?

You mean the beard. I cut it off when it started getting nice here this year. I think back in March sometime. Its a normal ritual for me.
I cut it off in Sept 2009 and was shaving with a straight edge till Oct when it got really nasty and brutal here. We had over 30 inches
of snow in Oct 2009. Then between Nov till Feb it was hitting with the wind chill factor -40 degrees so I started growing a new beard.

Then axed it back in March I think. I just can't remember as time isn't something I keep track of in retirement. :laugh:

Heh. I don't know, looks like you got a makeover though. :)

Should I be concerned? Up to date on the stalker techniques? I am paranoid after all. You are interested more in my beard than that cigar.
:0 :laugh: :p

Thank you for that substantial post, Mr. Peat. Is there anything wrong with starting on the regular Opus X line, or should I just hold out for the rarer ones? I wonder if there is an Opus X list on this board somewhere which would help me to see which ones are better than others. I'll do some searching.

I'll check out the two links you posted and will keep an eye out in the BST for sure. Thanks!

The Regular line is great smokes. You can't go wrong with them. But I prefer something different. While others collect cigars to smoke on a
special occasion and others collect to just collect. I personally collect to smoke. I don't care how rare a cigar is. I will burn any cigar at any
time. Even if Ihad in my possession a cigar that only 2 was made. I'd burn it in a heart beat.

Opus X is a love it or hate it cigar. My first one was a Opus X Super Belicoso. I couldn't afford many of the higher end cigars till 2002 when I
was awarded my 70% Disability Rated from the Veteran's Administration. Even then I couldn't really afford the higher end still. It wasn't till
2006 when I really was able to afford what I wanted to smoke. Like I said...good things come in time. If you can get one from the Regular
line, do so. Then smoke it after having a full meal. Since many have had problems with the strength of an Opus X. If you want a power
house, then you should look at a Opus X #4 or 5 and even a Power Ranger.

If you want a milder cigar, then you want to go with say the Reserve D'Chateau. Usually with a Opus X...the bigger it is, the milder it will
be. For the common line. Now what I smoke this doesn't always apply. I've posted many reviews on Opus X so you can get some idea
what I am talking about.

Once I do my trip to Kansas City and get my collection home, I will post a thread about it. I have some plans that I've set in motion which
will be one hell of a ride to read about. But things is on hold at the moment since I am buying a Honda CR-V which will be paid for in less
than 24 months. It just means I have to really selective when I purchase cigars and I have been doing that for almost a year now.

Excellent advice. I've come across a handfull of Opus X in the 6 months or so, and I was saving my first one for my birthday smoke. Lit up a robusto later in the evening after my son went to bed. Burned great, tasted great, made my head swim and twisted my stomach around a bit. I had to sit and relax for a bit before deciding to head to bed.

I also agree with the recommendation to try the regular line first before shelling out $40+ for the HTF ones. Then again perhaps I should have heeded those words before I shelled out a few bucks for an Opus pack that included a BBMF. It was for a good cause though...

For you opus guys. Are they great out of the box or with some age on them? Like the 26/64 series padrons, do they only need aged a year or two, or should they be aged longer? I know their is no scientific answer, just looking for your opinions.

For you opus guys. Are they great out of the box or with some age on them? Like the 26/64 series padrons, do they only need aged a year or two, or should they be aged longer? I know their is no scientific answer, just looking for your opinions.

Opus X always benefit from age. But I always smoke them whether young or aged. If you never smoke one straight from the box, you
will never know how they age.

And for those that haven't seen some of the issues found in Opus X, here is the Opus X LFMF from the CFCF 2009 box. It clearly shows
that even HTF Opus X can be a risky purchase.

DSCF0686.jpg

So think hard when you are dropping down some serious $$$ and learn from the things I run into here and there when it comes to
my beloved Opus X. Usually they are perfect but once in awhile you get a bad one that wasn't rolled perfectly.

I don’t think the Padron 26/64 need any age at all. The tobacco is already aged for 3-5 years prior to being rolled, but I guess to each his own.

As for the Opus, it kinda depends on what you’re looking for out of them. Right out of the box they tend to be stronger, and maybe a touch rough around the edges, but not much. A few years of age really makes them smooth, but they lose a touch of their strength. I can honestly say that for me, I enjoy them both ways. I probably like them a little better fresh, but I wouldn’t turn one down with age on it either.

For the longest time I would have agreed with you that I thought they were good cigars, but not great cigars. I would take an Anejo over them any day. Recently I smoked one, and it was nearly perfect. Since then, I’ve been smoking them on a pretty regular basis(all different sizes) and can’t get my hands on enough of them. Either my palate is changing again, or the one’s I’ve had in my humi hit the perfect age, or something because right now every one I’ve smoked has been spot on.

I have always liked Opus, but the last couple of years my palate has been craving them for some reason. Any time I plan on smoking multiple cigars at least one is always an Opus. I can't get enough of them, to the point of it being irrational. Case in point, I was rearranging the humidors and pulled out my boxes of Opus, all full or sealed. What kind of fool needs this many?

gallery_1425_515_130047.jpg

Me = idiot.

For the longest time I would have agreed with you that I thought they were good cigars, but not great cigars. I would take an Anejo over them any day. Recently I smoked one, and it was nearly perfect. Since then, I’ve been smoking them on a pretty regular basis(all different sizes) and can’t get my hands on enough of them. Either my palate is changing again, or the one’s I’ve had in my humi hit the perfect age, or something because right now every one I’ve smoked has been spot on.

I have always liked Opus, but the last couple of years my palate has been craving them for some reason. Any time I plan on smoking multiple cigars at least one is always an Opus. I can't get enough of them, to the point of it being irrational. Case in point, I was rearranging the humidors and pulled out my boxes of Opus, all full or sealed. What kind of fool needs this many?

Me = idiot.

If you ever decide to unload some, let me know. I don't have many of the common lines but I have the CFCF boxes. The last time I've looked I have
over 5 of them in one piece. Maybe 6 or 7. I've lost track in my obsession. I prefer a Opus X over any cigar now. Of course I smoke other cigars but
Opus X is my #1 dog rocket. Whether working on the yard or just relaxing, that is my go to smoke. It doesn't matter if its -40 degrees out I will smoke
a Opus X. :love:

I prefer a Opus X over any cigar now. Of course I smoke other cigars but Opus X is my #1 dog rocket. Whether working on the yard or just relaxing, that is my go to smoke. It doesn't matter if its -40 degrees out I will smoke a Opus X. :love:

Like minds, Mr Peat!

Hey Mike, What Vitola are the 2 big deep boxes, I am unfamiliar with them....

Thanks
DE

Thanks
DE

Not sure which ones you're referring to exactly, but I'm guessing the Double Robustos.

Me = idiot.

OH my! I think I just messed myself.
Is this at all like my booby fascination, whereby after I saw one set of them, I want to see every other set? :cool:

PJ

Me = idiot.

I....umm......uhhh........geezus. I thought your cuban "yardgar" stash was crazy, but seeing this makes me all tingly.

For the longest time I would have agreed with you that I thought they were good cigars, but not great cigars. I would take an Anejo over them any day. Recently I smoked one, and it was nearly perfect. Since then, I've been smoking them on a pretty regular basis(all different sizes) and can't get my hands on enough of them. Either my palate is changing again, or the one's I've had in my humi hit the perfect age, or something because right now every one I've smoked has been spot on.

Me = idiot.

HO. LEE. CRAP!
ohmy.gif
I knew you like Opus, Mike, but to see it in a pile is impressive! What about your Lost City stuff? Do you feel they may sway your taste over the regular Opus line?

What about your Lost City stuff? Do you feel they may sway your taste over the regular Opus line?

Funny you ask. I was just telling Loren how much I love the Lost City for some reason. It's a different animal than a regular Opus, but if pressed to choose, I'd go with the Lost City. Unfortunately I only have about 300 Lost City Opus, so I've got to start rationing them soon at the pace I'm smoking them!

Now that is one hell of an extremely impressive Opus X collection. Excuse me while I pick my jaw up off the floor.

Now that is one hell of an extremely impressive Opus X collection. Excuse me while I pick my jaw up off the floor.

A Opus X collection isn't complete without Carlito's Stash and I hear that is like chasing down a Unicorn. :0

Thanks
DE

Not sure which ones you're referring to exactly, but I'm guessing the Double Robustos.

I'm sorry I should have been more specific. I thought you could read my mind! :laugh: I was talking about the 4th row, bottom box. Is it a box of "A"s...
Thanks
DE

Thanks
DE

I'm sorry I should have been more specific. I thought you could read my mind! :laugh: I was talking about the 4th row, bottom box. Is it a box of "A"s...
Thanks
DE

Is that 4th from the left, or right?? :sign:

I had no interest in chasing around for the Pussy Cats until I read through this Review Thread. I hope you're happy Loren... :laugh: