• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Opus X review

moki

el Presidente
opus_x_toast.jpg

I recently picked up 5 "Toast over America" packs, which each contain one specially sized Fuente Fuente Opus X, and one specially sized Diamond Crown Maximus (both 6.5" and I'm guessing, but perhaps 46 ring). Other than the size, the tobacco is the same as in any Opus X/Maximus -- the other benefit being that they are completely tax deductible, because they were created for a charity.

I'm smoking the Opus X now; forgive me if this is a poor review, I'm not a very skilled cigar smoker/reviewer, I just smoke what I like.

The scent of the Opus X is very interesting -- almost fruity, very different in character than the Padróns I've been smoking recently. The taste is also an odd combination of citrus and spice. You draw it in, feel the citrus on your tongue, then as you puff out, you taste the pepperiness.

It also has a very interesting aftertaste that I'm at a loss to describe -- musky, perhaps. The stick itself is much more softly packed than the 1926/1964 Padróns, which is neither a good thing or a bad thing, just different. The draw is quite smooth, but it is definitely a stronger cigar than either Padrón.

I could probably smoke a couple of Padróns in a day, but I don't think I could smoke more than one of these babies. I'm pairing the Opus X with a freshly made espresso, and the tastes compliment each other nicely.

I've read all sorts of reviews of the Opus X, ranging from Nirvana to good, but overrated and over-priced. In my estimation, this is a very good cigar. Strong, surprising, flavorful, but not acidic, and smokable down to the end.

Good stuff.

Just to add to it -- I don't know if it is the cigar or the espresso, or the combination of both, but I've got one hell of a buzz right now. Never had this happen to me when smoking a cigar before... yeeehaw! :)

You should see an Opus smoker put away 2 Opus A's back to back. I've seen it. It's NOT a pretty sight. :0 :p

I also have a "Diamond Crown Maximus" cigar from the charity pack... does anyone have any idea what this cigar is? I've never seen/heard of it before.

Diamond Crowns have a Connecticut Shade wrapper and are considered a "mild" Fuente cigar. They're a "premium" cigar, robustos generally go for around $10.00 each in a cigar shop.

They only come in BIG PHAT ring gauges which I think is pretty cool since I like fat cigars.

I have a few but have never smoked one.

Smoke yours soon and give us a review!!

BTW great job on your Opus review. :thumbs:

Nice job on your review, although I think the PAM 1926 is stronger than the Opus X. Just my .02

cigah_smoka said:
Nice job on your review, although I think the PAM 1926 is stronger than the Opus X. Just my .02
Wow... we smoked some PAM 1926's side by side with these Opus X's, and we even had a guy who couldn't handle the Opus X to the end, so he switched it off with someone who had a Padrón -- everyone found them to be much milder (but still with a full-bodied taste) than the Opus X's.

Different strokes for different folks! :)