• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

OpusX xXx

UTKhodgy

Legal Aficionado
Let me start off by saying that I am the kind of cigar smoker who loves the excitement of tasting a new cigar and basking in my thoughts of the cigar while smoking it. However, I am not one to go back after smoking it, and focus on my likes and dislikes, I simply move on with my business.

This cigar comes with special exceptions.

I recently received this cigar in a trade with KayakinBoy (this guy is too generous! I got more than I was expecting on his end, and a great job he did at compiling a collection of sticks for me :thumbs: )

It has been a while since I have smoked a cigar, due to work. Monday would have been my most recent chance to light up, but a couple of girl friends tagged along for the round of golf, so I had to pass on my chance then.

So, I was anxious last night knowing about my opportunities to smoke these next two days. I decided I was going to smoke one of the sticks I received, but I didn't know which one. I rummaged through my fridgidor and found each stick KB sent and starting going through the decision process...

Cuesta Ray SG Pyramid... I didn't need that long of a smoke at lunchtime, so I decided to pass

Macanudo Robusto... Took a look at the stick and just thought she could use more rest, was looking for that "love at first sight" feeling, didn't get it

Macanudo Maduro... I wasn't in the mood for a darker cigar today

Chateau Fuente SG... my my my, stop staring at me like that, I smoked one of you the past 3 light ups, wait your turn!

Chateau Fuente... I'm sorry, I don't pick favorites, so if your sister couldn't go on a date, you certainly can not

Punch Rare Corojo... Ahh! You're making my head hurt. I want to save you for a car trip to Knoxville!

Cuesta Ray SG Robusto... Ok, I am pulling you out, meet Mr. Torch, I want you!

Uh oh, and there, at the very end of the row, lies the beast.

OpusX xXx... You just saved the CR SG's life. I really don't want to smoke you because you are so precious to me, one of two OpusX's I have. The PerfX already has it's fate sealed in the future. Why not give you a shot now? So I put all the smokes back and decided to tangle with a PowerRanger...

After removing the red ribbon I took a gigantic whiff at the foot and was hit by euphoria. The anticipation for my first Opus was incredible. I stared at the beautiful band for minutes before realizing I still had the door to the fridge open, losing stability on the RH. After coming to I headed out to the front of the house and sat down on my favorite bench where I have lit up my favorite cigars this summer with a double bladed guillotine cutter and torch lighter.

PRE-LIGHT
The wrapper was FLAWLESS. When you hear descriptions of a "beautiful rosado shade wrapper", you are hearing the truth. Absolutely veinless. KB forewarned me that the Opus batch he got this one from had a bit of extra oils on the wrapper and could cause some minor burn issues. I took the precaution to lower the RH in my humi to 60-63% over the past week just for this cigar to dry out a bit. He wasn't kidding about the oils either. I bet this puppy would glow in the dark! I was loving it. The wrapper was so smooth, it was like rubbing your fingers across laquered wood, no bumps, not toothy, just smooth.

The pack was incredibly tight. Construction obviously flawless... The cigar was firm from cap to foot, I couldn't even squeeze with pressure. The cigar rolled without hesitation along the armrest incline of the bench. I was ready to cut away. I took off a beautiful awe-inspring cone from the cap that sat upright next to me the entire length of the smoke. The pre-light draws were amazing. Extremely tight for what I am used to, but the taste buds were tingling from the spicy taste and jalapeno flavor. :p :p

POST-LIGHT
The lighting served no problem to me, I was able to get the whole ring lit within a short time, and the cigar was hot and burning away from the few quick puffs I took. The immediate taste was hot tobacco, not so great, but this was due to the long hard draws I was pulling to get the sucker lit. The flavors change so much throughout the cigar, catching me off guard every few draws. The first inch was all spice, I am glad I had some water there to drink with me, because my toungue was tingling, my nose was going hay-wire with the smell, and the back of my throat was taking a beating. I was loving every minute of it. After that first inch the cigar calmed down and I was hit with an indescribable taste. Definitely not anything I have had before. This was my favorite part of the cigar, puffing away and curiously trying to pin the flavor I was drooling over. Halfway through the cigar I was finished with my water and figured I would focus on just the cigar itself. Toasty, beans, and black coffee were all flavors coming to mind. It had some qualities of a milder cigar like the beany taste of a Don Diego Corona, but also the sweet after taste of a CAO Brazilia or Italia. After a few text messages, and the distraction of the post man bringing mail, I was 3/4 of the way through, and getting sad the ride was almost over. I went inside and got another glass of water for the last part of the cigar. The spice picked right back up and hit me full force in that last inch and a half. This is definitely the most complex cigar I have ever smoked. Consistent on in regards to the quality of the smoke and the enjoyment I was having. The flavor profile is like nothing I have ever had. This is the first cigar I have nubbed as well, smoking it to within half an inch, mmmmmmm. The burn that KB warned might go sour was non-existent. The burn was RAZOR all the way down to an inch where I got two small parabolic shapes to the wrapper than didn't burn, but there was still no need to make any corrections.

I took the band off about an inch into the smoke because I didn't want to get it wet from being in my mouth and have tobacco stains on the back of it, this is definitely a band to keep and cherish.

This cigar is one of my three favorites for sure. I don't want to say it is my favorite, because it is unique, and shouldn't even classify with my best smokes. I just hope I can keep the will power not to spend $12 on impulse each time I walk in to grab a few Chateau Fuente's or Padron's and notice a box sitting at the front of the shop.

To quote Varsity Blues, "I give it a 10, a f***ing 10!!!!"

I'd like to reiterate what a great guy KB is, and thanks for the great cigar!

Here is my band off of the OpusX xXx...
OpusX.jpg

Glad you had such a great smoking experience.

I like the Opus X as well.

That was one great review.

After the xXx being your first Opus X...all the rest will taste like mild cigars. The xXx really kicked my butt...and all of the Opus X line is very good to me...but the xXx made my head spin. You're off to a good start.

:thumbs: -Fetter

Oh, it kicked my butt. I got punched right square in the nose. This was my first true full-bodied cigar, and it certainly pulled through. Luckily I was eating before I smoked it and right after as well. It lessened the nicotine kick just a bit.

fetterjohn said:
After the xXx being your first Opus X...all the rest will taste like mild cigars. The xXx really kicked my butt...and all of the Opus X line is very good to me...but the xXx made my head spin. You're off to a good start.

[snapback]209525[/snapback]​

Unless you're SFG75 and they taste mild, bland, and tasteless to you. :)

moki said:
fetterjohn said:

[snapback]209539[/snapback]​

Focker.... That's what I was going to say... :laugh:

Glad to give a fellow TN kid his first opus. And I dig the robusto macs for a everyday smoke!

And just so everyone knows, Andy sent the package out the day after the trade, I got it on friday, sent his part on monday. good trader!

anyways, glad you dug it man. :thumbs:

Nice review. I also think that the flavor profile is totally unique. The next thing you have to try is an Anejo :thumbs: That will really blow your mind (or at least your taste buds) :D

Anyone know who has those on their website at the correct MSRP or within a decent range of same, as I would like buy one to try, especially after reading this, but cannot find them locally...alas, there really isn't a good cigar store anywhere near Coral Springs unless you count Macabi and they don't have them....

I love reading that review...makes me think to every time I smoke an Opus X...which is not enough!! :D Only tiwce a month... :rolleyes: not enough.

-Fetter

Nice review. These things are a$$ kickers! I made mu buddy smoke one the other night and he said that it was "stupid strong". :laugh: :laugh: Totally kicked his a$$!! I love seeing that! :laugh: :D

UTKhodgy said:
Oh, it kicked my butt. I got punched right square in the nose. This was my first true full-bodied cigar, and it certainly pulled through. Luckily I was eating before I smoked it and right after as well. It lessened the nicotine kick just a bit.
[snapback]209527[/snapback]​

moki said:
fetterjohn said:

[snapback]209539[/snapback]​

I just don't get that from this cigar. I don't find it bland or tasteless by any means. In fact, I think it is one of the top 2 or 3 Opus X vitolas. However, I like to grab one of these on a Saturday morning before breakfast and smoke it with my coffee. :p No buzz whatsoever. I love'em. :love:

I have one in my humi, but I'm scared to smoke it. I hear if it has age it's ok, but I think mine is fresh. I'll just let it sit for a few months.........maybe.

Im not really new to cigars but i know almost nothing about the opus x line. i would really like to try one but the only places i can find them are online with a $100 collectors edition package or at the shop downtown for around $40 bucks a stick. where can i get them online for a reasonablee price?

Only two cigars had ever cause me to feel it in my stomache slightly.Never had a buzz or head rush or nausea.Maybe its because I smoked cigs since I was 15,I dunno.
My first and only my first gurkah legend churchill I felt in my stomache a tad,churned it up a bit,nothing to bad.I was walking the dog with the first third though.

I forgot the second cigar but it was not anything special.

The opus xXx kind of disappointed me when I first tried it,I was expecting it to be like some of the LaFlor Dominicas or the edge in stregnth department but not even in the least.Not even like a famous nicaraguan 3000.Though it was a very good Opus size.My 2 favorites are the power ranger and the perfection #2.

Great review,thank you,I think I will dig one out for later. :thumbs: