• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Ordered a new Ford Edge

Mizicke5273

So I placed the order for my Edge Limited on October 29th and was told it would be 4-6 weeks for delivery. On the 21st of December, I called and was told that my Edge was built and scheduled to be delivered any day by my sales rep and that he had the VIN. From the 21st of December to yesterday, January 11, I was continuously told that my car would be in "any day now" by the sales rep and was never given any new information since the 21st of December. I know with the Holidays and all, things would be slow. But yesterday when I called I was once again told, by my sales rep, that he did not have any new information. Only after I told him that it was unacceptable of 3 weeks without any information and of supposedly being delivered any day, that he finally dug for information. My sales rep then came back and told me yesterday, that Ford is having an issue with the Vista roof and that it is holding my car up and the scheduled delivery date right now is mid Feb. So it hasn't even been finished being built yet it seems, let alone been shipped. Now when I asked him why it took 3 weeks to find this out, he said it was Ford that was not communicating anything to them. But if there is a production issue, wouldn't Ford make it a point to notify dealers about pending orders? I also brought up the fact about being told that it was already built and that he had the VIN and now I find out that was a lie. To which my rep said it was only him saying that on assumption. So I can only assume he never checked on the status of my car and assumed it was built. I'm not too happy about being lied to like this. If there really is a production issue and it is the reason for the hold up, fine. But at least make an attempt to find out what is going on when I call on the 8th week after I placed the order.

I'm not sure what to do, should wait or cancel the order and risk losing my down payment to go else where? This is the first car I've ordered and only the second one I'v bought. I bought my Mustang from the same dealer, though I dealt with a different sales rep this time as the previous one was let go several months before. This would be the 3rd car that we bought at this particular dealer, and with the other two we were treated great.

So I placed the order for my Edge Limited on October 29th and was told it would be 4-6 weeks for delivery. On the 21st of December, I called and was told that my Edge was built and scheduled to be delivered any day by my sales rep and that he had the VIN. From the 21st of December to yesterday, January 11, I was continuously told that my car would be in "any day now" by the sales rep and was never given any new information since the 21st of December. I know with the Holidays and all, things would be slow. But yesterday when I called I was once again told, by my sales rep, that he did not have any new information. Only after I told him that it was unacceptable of 3 weeks without any information and of supposedly being delivered any day, that he finally dug for information. My sales rep then came back and told me yesterday, that Ford is having an issue with the Vista roof and that it is holding my car up and the scheduled delivery date right now is mid Feb. So it hasn't even been finished being built yet it seems, let alone been shipped. Now when I asked him why it took 3 weeks to find this out, he said it was Ford that was not communicating anything to them. But if there is a production issue, wouldn't Ford make it a point to notify dealers about pending orders? I also brought up the fact about being told that it was already built and that he had the VIN and now I find out that was a lie. To which my rep said it was only him saying that on assumption. So I can only assume he never checked on the status of my car and assumed it was built. I'm not too happy about being lied to like this. If there really is a production issue and it is the reason for the hold up, fine. But at least make an attempt to find out what is going on when I call on the 8th week after I placed the order.

I'm not sure what to do, should wait or cancel the order and risk losing my down payment to go else where? This is the first car I've ordered and only the second one I'v bought. I bought my Mustang from the same dealer, though I dealt with a different sales rep this time as the previous one was let go several months before. This would be the 3rd car that we bought at this particular dealer, and with the other two we were treated great.

If they missed the delivery date...there should be no issue with getting your money back...legally.

I'm sure some car folks here will chime in!

Could be legit. We had a similar problem two years ago when we ordered a new Jeep Grand Cherokee. We had a ship date from the factory and an estimated dealer delivery. The delivery date came and went, but no new ride. The dealer kept telling us it would be here any day. This went on for weeks. The finance paperwork was redone after we received the first payment request for a vehicle we didn't even have yet. It was finally delivered after a couple months. The excuse was it was sitting on a delivery truck for several weeks. The dealer said they were being kept in the dark as well. We received an apology and some freebies from the dealer. During the wait, we even managed to locate similar models sitting on dealer lots in the region. We contemplated canceling the sale and going elsewhere, but stuck it out for the custom ordered vehicle.

I ordered my truck from the same dealer last year. It was delivered on time. No problems. We've bought several Chrysler products over the years from them. Usually great service.

That sucks! Its a pet peeve of mine when businesses treat their customers this way. The rep you have been dealing with is obviously not very good at what he does; it sounds like he was only interested in the sale. My only suggestion would be to talk to the owner or manager, and give them the opportunity to make things right.

That sucks! Its a pet peeve of mine when businesses treat their customers this way. The rep you have been dealing with is obviously not very good at what he does; it sounds like he was only interested in the sale. My only suggestion would be to talk to the owner or manager, and give them the opportunity to make things right.

Interpretation: Get an apology AND some form of compensation for your inconvenience, such as dealer credit towards accessories, free oil changes/scheduled maintenance for the duration of your lease or financing term, or discounts on accessories and service. I'd only recommend the last one if you intend on staying loyal to that dealer since you have to spend money to get your compensation benefit.

Best of luck dealing with them. Hopefully the management will be competent and realize they may have bad publicity brewing if they don't make it right.

I came so close to buying an Edge over the summer. We had picked it out on a Friday, and then were set to sign the papers and receive delivery on Monday. We got down to the dealership on Monday with our check in hand ready to sign the paperwork. Test drove the car one more time, and it was making a loud whining noise. After doing some research online, many Ford Edge owners complained about this noise. No one can figure out where it's coming from, or what's causing it. The mechanics at Ford were stumped. We looked at a couple other Edges they had in stock, and after seeing problems with the Vista sunroof, I decided to withdraw on the Edge. The Vista sunroof seems to have production issues that Ford still hasn't resolved. I ended up buying a Camry XLE (V6 fully loaded) a few weeks later. :)

If I were you, I'd take my money and go to another dealership. I highly doubt they'll try to keep your deposit. If they do, sue them for missing the deadline + all interest accrued. A verbal threat should ensure you get your deposit back. If not, sue 'em.

The Edge is a great looking car, however I was disappointed in two defects - 1.) the unidentified noise and 2.) the vista sunroof.

Good luck!
Rod
PS - Still couldn't be happier with my GT. :)

Thanks for the input so far guys, looks like I have a decision to make then.

Edit to add: Rod, by chance was the Edge you were going to buy an 09 and have the 20" in rims on it? Also I haven't read of any issues with the Vista roof, what is it?

Sue the shit out of them, or do what you can to get the salesman fired. His own personal gain in commission should never out way calling the factory to ensure that his assumptions and lies, especially after weeks of no new info. He should know better. His job is customer service and he failed at that. Go to the Owner and if you cannot gain an audiance with them, then the GM. Tell them that you want your sales man fired and your money back or you will never use them again and will take out ads in the local paper to let the readers know of this screw up and their refusal to make ammends.

Even if it is an empty threat, you being pissed as hell will certainly get a good response from from the dealership.

Sue the shit out of them, or do what you can to get the salesman fired. His own personal gain in commission should never out way calling the factory to ensure that his assumptions and lies, especially after weeks of no new info. He should know better. His job is customer service and he failed at that. Go to the Owner and if you cannot gain an audiance with them, then the GM. Tell them that you want your sales man fired and your money back or you will never use them again and will take out ads in the local paper to let the readers know of this screw up and their refusal to make ammends.

Even if it is an empty threat, you being pissed as hell will certainly get a good response from from the dealership.

I don't necessarily condone being underhanded about getting my way, but there are ways to persuade. If you can't get the attention of any management by asking nicely, generally raising your voice on a busy sales floor with emphasis on words like lying, cheat, broken promise, or anything to make other customers doubt the service they might also receive. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Thanks for the input so far guys, looks like I have a decision to make then.

Edit to add: Rod, by chance was the Edge you were going to buy an 09 and have the 20" in rims on it? Also I haven't read of any issues with the Vista roof, what is it?

It was a brand new '08 with 20" rims and had the tow package. After deciding this wasn't going to work, we went to look at the other Edges they had in stock. When I went to open the Vista sunroof on one of the other Edges, the fabric slid back and then got caught up and fell down from the ceiling (it didn't ravel up correctly). The salesman said that they can fix that. Regardless, after seeing that happen it was like an omen to get the hell out of there.

Do a google search for "ford edge whining noise" and you'll see a lot of people who are complaining about it. It's not a major issue, but for me, I'd like to know what's causing it. When Ford told me they can't figure it out, it just turned me off.

Ford is definitely making solid vehicles these days, however the experience I had with the Edge has turned me off to their SUV's.

Yup, I would definitely talk to the owner. While things happen, the fact that the rep told you " any day now " numerous times without actually checking is unacceptable. Like anything else in life, communication is key. I am not sure what you can/will actually get, but I would insist on an apology!

Sorry you are having a bad time with your purchase.

I manage a Ford dealership, and can tell you that the management probably dropped the ball. They either don't have good relationship with thier ford rep or just to lazy to do the tracking. The ball could have been dropped by any one in the chain of command.

At most dealerships, a saleman'a hands are tied about knowing information he told you and probably got that response from a sales or inventory manager. I do know from November to March the production of cars and the smaller suv where going to be very limited.

Things I think you should think about:

1. They can not keep your deposit. Did they make you sign a non-refundable deposit?

2. Do you want to deal with a dealer that lied to you?

3. Knowing they have your money and will have to count on them for service after the sale, do you really want to go into this with attitude?

4. Threats will get you only are harder time, kill them kindness should get you what you want. Some dealers will mark "hard" customers.

5. Decide what you want to do before going to the dealership and then stick to your guns. If they do not satisfy your needs then and only then a call to the owner would be the right thing to do. Don't talk about lawyers or suing until all your avenues are gone. With the little money to be made on new car sales some dealers will pass on customers if they start giving them a hard time, sorry to say.

PM you number if you would like to talk in person about any thing I could help you with. Would only be glad to help.

Cajunblaze

Yea, I had to sign a non-refundable deposit when I ordered it.

I don't want to be a push over but I also don't want to be a complete a-hole either. So I have been trying to figure out what I should do and where I should go from here. And I have, I'm going to call and request the VIN for my Edge as I was told they have it. My dad talked to a friend of his who used to work at Ford, and he said a VIN is assigned two weeks after the order has been placed. So if they can not provide me with a VIN today when I call, I'll be going else where this weekend. If they can, well I'll play it by ear and see what happens from here on out.

I would have tried to ask for my deposit back. They haven't kept their end of the bargain by delivering on time. Either that or get them to give you a firm date and if not, have your deposit ready for pick up.

Just got off the phone with my sales rep. No VIN. Told the guy I am very disappointed with being lied to twice and upset with the treatment that I have received. Said I would be down either tomorrow or Saturday to talk about the continuation of the deal. I was also told that they were able to get one very similar to mine in for me, they would have to add a few dealer installable accessories. The only thing was it had the 20" rims on it and I don't want them.

Personally, I wouldn't want anything to do with that dealership from this point. Get your deposit back and spread the word. As the old saying goes, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

The sales rep called me back, he apologized and said they are in the process of getting a second one that is also very similar to what I ordered. So I could possibly have my car as early as tomorrow or next week if I were to continue dealing with them. I'm inclined to stop by tomorrow and see what kinda deal I can work out. If they really want to sell me a car, they will need to work at it now.

Now I understand why most are telling me to go else where, and for good reason. I still may do that. But this dealer treated me great when I bought my Mustang, they worked to find me exactly what I wanted within a week or so of my initial visit. They also treated my mom great when she bought her Escape there. So, I may have to go with faith on this one, as I've always believed in looking at the whole picture. The other thing is the financing, Ford just re-upped the 0% for 60 months and added $500. If I go else where, by the time I get my car in, it may not be offered. And there is always the chance of running into another issue. They are also giving me a great price for my Mustang, which I may not get else where. Which is why I'm inclined to at least hear what they have to say and see how well they will deal.

I've been thinking about the whole situation since Monday and have thought about a lot of different reasons to stay with the same dealer and to go else where. It really helped to sound off to you guys and I was able to look at it from several different views. But I think it comes down to me being the type of person that will give them another shot to make the situation right. In the end, I lose nothing from hearing them out and letting them deal. I can walk away anytime I want without losing anything. They are the ones who have something to lose.

I pm'ed you some other info.

These cars are easy to come by from other dealers, don't pay for extras you don't want. I am afraid I would still go to another dealer.

Good Luck!

cajunblaze

Well I walked into the dealer today, pretty much ready to buy the Edge they got in. The sales rep went to do up some numbers on the options that need to be installed, came back about 30 minutes later to say they couldn't do it that way. He said it would cost them too much to install everything. I said that isn't acceptable and I'm considering going else where. I'll be calling on Monday for my down payment back and I'll start looking around. I gave them one last chance, and they blew it.