• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Oregon brewers festival 2014 - Zombie Dust Clone?

modo22

I attending this festival in Portland at the end of July.  I was in Portland for a conference for a few days and flew in a day early to check this out.  First off, it is not worth going for a day.  It was laid out very poorly and because of the set up/rules, it was impossible to try more than 3-4 beers.  It was so crowed that it was shoulder to shoulder panic situation just trying to move away from a beer trailer.  Basic deal was; a semi trailer had 8 beers somewhat listed with a sign, that denoted 8 lines, you pick a line and hope you like that beer...because when you get to the front you can only taste that beer or get a glass.  With the line taking 30-40 minutes, I was hoping that you could at least get a chance at 2-3 tastes before you pick you beer for a glass or move on.  I soon figured out that the a-holes there were just ignoring the lines and just walking up...so I quickly used the rest of my tokens, got 2 beers, and left.  The festival runs 4 days, so if I had the time I would maybe go back for multiple days...but I don't plan to visit again.

BUT!!!!!!!!!  Something amazing came out of this ordeal.  One of the lines I chose was in front of a sign that read Hoppy Wheat.  So I waited, decided since I waited so long I would get a full glass.  AND boy am I glad I did.  Let me start by saying I love me some Zombie Dust, it is a great beer.  I have tried many other beers that have been suggested to me by people that claim it will taste just as good as Zombie Dust; personally I have not found one yet....in fact I have done a few side by side tastes tests.  Not even close...

http://www.pfriembeer.com/

Pfriem brewery's Hoppy Wheat beer was as close to Zombie Dust as I have ever found.  It was damn good.  Now of course it is virtually impossible to find for me and I don't think this is a regular release for them as they are new.  But if you are ever in the Hood River area, check it out, I loved this beer and it is the only beer I have had that I will compare to ZD.