• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

"Other" storage on Mac

bluue13

Anyone here know anything about Mac computers? I have a Macbook which gives me the dreaded "Startup disk almost full" message everyday. When I open the storage menu most of the space is taken up by "other." When I restart it does free up some space which leads me to believe that some of it is cache files and temporary internet files. I've done searches and it seems like the only info I can ever get is either useless or an ad for Mac cleaning software.
So does anyone actually know useful information on how to clean out storage? What I can actually delete that wont cause the HD to not function? Any help is greatly appreciated!

I am not very knowledgeable on this. I have an older macbook pro, but the HD is like 500GB so it doesn't seem to suffer this issue. I would bet that is old software updates and backups that are clogging up space. It reminds me of the behavior of my old 16GB iphone that until you basically wiped the whole thing, you could hardly ever get that to go away. I've since upgraded to model with more storage just so I wouldn't encounter such an issue.

Since it was like the very first link I clicked after googling the subject, you may have already seen it, but it does have some DIY instructions on what to look for and stuff to remove.

https://macpaw.com/how-to/startup-d...pHX6AIVDNvACh2KcA7TEAAYASAAEgLMafD_BwE#part-1

Check out Memory & Disk scanner by Phan. It's in the App store. Been using for years, highly recommen. Hope it's available for MAC, as i have ipad, but its solid.

I am not very knowledgeable on this. I have an older macbook pro, but the HD is like 500GB so it doesn't seem to suffer this issue. I would bet that is old software updates and backups that are clogging up space. It reminds me of the behavior of my old 16GB iphone that until you basically wiped the whole thing, you could hardly ever get that to go away. I've since upgraded to model with more storage just so I wouldn't encounter such an issue.

Since it was like the very first link I clicked after googling the subject, you may have already seen it, but it does have some DIY instructions on what to look for and stuff to remove.

https://macpaw.com/how-to/startup-disk-full-on-mac-os-x?campaign=search_text_cmm_pr_startupdisk_us&ci=344590086&adgroupid=23470969326&adpos=&ck=startup disk&targetid=kwd-49812812&match=p&gnetwork=g&creative=336183232763&placement=&placecat=&accname=cmm&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4JaG7pHX6AIVDNvACh2KcA7TEAAYASAAEgLMafD_BwE#part-1

Oh, man... I can't tell you how many hours I've wasted getting rid of old gifs, images, texts, attachments, etc. trying to clear up space on my iPhone SE.

https://macpaw.com/how-to/startup-disk-full-on-mac-os-x?campaign=search_text_cmm_pr_startupdisk_us&ci=344590086&adgroupid=23470969326&adpos=&ck=startup disk&targetid=kwd-49812812&match=p&gnetwork=g&creative=336183232763&placement=&placecat=&accname=cmm&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4JaG7pHX6AIVDNvACh2KcA7TEAAYASAAEgLMafD_BwE#part-1

Yeah I've seen this but I definitely appreciate the effort. I spent a lot of time last night going through cache folders one by one and manually deleting files....pain in my ass. I managed to free up SOME space but not a ton. So as for the rest of the "other" storage it must be hidden junk files somewhere...wish I was more of a computer wiz.

I'm not sure what you use this pc for, but would it be reasonable to wipe it clean and reload the OS?

Also, have you tried contacting apple support via online chat? They may have other ideas.

I'm not sure what you use this pc for, but would it be reasonable to wipe it clean and reload the OS?

Also, have you tried contacting apple support via online chat? They may have other ideas.

Its an option on my list. I hesitate only because Apple is not in the habit of giving away any helpful information for free...

I have multiple USB ports...one of the better things Mac provides. Not a bad idea at all, thanks!
That specific one I like because its small and curved. Less of a chance to snag when I am carrying my laptop around. I have either a 128GB or 256 GB I don't remember.

I would try the online chat anyways. Before I purchased my laptop (used) I gave them as much information I could regarding it and its serial number so I could identify whether it was apple account/EFI locked and/or if I could reload the OS via the built in stuff because I would not have disks. They answered my questions thoroughly even though I did not own the machine yet, and it was the deciding factor on the purchase. I expected zero help because I didn't own it. After I did own it, I was able to check all of this out and do exactly what I had wanted to do, just as they said I would.