• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Otterbox?

Snoozer

Summer is right around the corner and I usually go away on weekends camping (well, to my trailer so I'm not exactly roughing it! lol) Anyway, I'm looking for a decent travel case/humidor that will keep my smokes in good smoking condition for about 3 days at a time. I've been looking at a 5 count otterbox they seem decent. If I got one would I need to add humidification? The site says they will stay "fresh" but mentions nothing about humidification.
Thanks!

I love my 15 count. Keeps things fresh and it's pretty darn tough. I usually throw a 65% Boveda pack or something similar in the bottom, but it's probably not necessary. The seal is amazingly waterproof (a canoe trip last summer proved that).

Make sure whatever case you get had an o-ring seal.
That should keep the sticks nice and tight....and throw in a boveda pack or 2.
Be careful of the box sitting in the sun...it will get HOT!

If the sticks come out of a humi in good condition, then they'll most likly stay that way.

Before I got my cigar box, I used 2 ziplock freezer bags with a boveda...work fine for a couple day trip.

Well its decided then. I'll be ordering my otterbox today. Thanks guys.

Go bigger that the 5... You will be glad to have more of a 'selection' when you are out in the wilderness...

I rarely use any kind of humidifier in my 5-stick, and the sticks will stay 'fresh' for a LONG time. I once packed up 5 sticked for a weekend, smoked a couple, got home and forgot about the other 3. For well over a week. When I remembered I popped it open and the sticks felt fine so I fired one up. Perfect.

Where are you buying your Otto Box from?

If it's from Mark then get "The Puck" which is designed to fit into these boxes.

An Otto Box is not the same as a small humidor, placing a tube in the box just takes up space.

I have several sizes. Right now I'm traveling with my 50 count. I loaded "The Puck" with a little distilled water almost 6 weeks ago and haven't touched it since. It is still at 65% RH,
this after going through some 28 hours of flying and that's because it seals so well.

Brian

If it's from Mark then get "The Puck" which is designed to fit into these boxes.

An Otto Box is not the same as a small humidor, placing a tube in the box just takes up space.

I have several sizes. Right now I'm traveling with my 50 count. I loaded "The Puck" with a little distilled water almost 6 weeks ago and haven't touched it since. It is still at 65% RH,
this after going through some 28 hours of flying and that's because it seals so well.

Brian

The puck works for the 30ct and 50ct Brian, but you can't fit a puck in the 5, 10, or 15 count can you?

A five count box for how many days camping?? If it were a long weekend, I'd have to bring my 25 count. :p

I just got a great deal from cigar solutions on the Palio/Cigar Caddy combo, they also have a deal where you can get the 2,5,10, and 15 count boxes for about 50 bucks.

TIM

Brian

The puck works for the 30ct and 50ct Brian, but you can't fit a puck in the 5, 10, or 15 count can you?
Mmmm, good point Wyatt. I use my 30 and 50 often. The 5 definitely does not, I use that for an outing to take 2 o3 three sticks. I have a 15 count but I can't remember.

Brian

Mmmm, good point Wyatt. I use my 30 and 50 often. The 5 definitely does not, I use that for an outing to take 2 o3 three sticks. I have a 15 count but I can't remember.

Brian

Yeah, that's why I was thinking that one of those tubes would be good for the 5, 10, or 15 count. They would only take up one slot. But the better answer is probably a boveda pack.

Let me know if you still need a 15 count travel humidor. I have several cases coming in early next week. I can sell them for $20 + shipping.

Brian

Yeah, that's why I was thinking that one of those tubes would be good for the 5, 10, or 15 count. They would only take up one slot. But the better answer is probably a boveda pack.

I used velcro to attach beads to the top of my 10ct. Hygrometer shows 65% most of the time. I still lose a slot for a cigar but if I really need to add one more I can find a way to make it fit.

gallery_3490_550_67465.jpg

I too have a fifteen count for travel and slip in a Heartfelt tube with 65% beads, works like a champ.

I have a 5 count used for the day trips. It will hold 2 cigars, a cutter, a lighter, and 1 oz Heartfelt tube with beads. The 1oz tube is the size of a cigar so it fits perfectly. Most of the time I just bring 1 cigar with me. My one day trips are usually something to do with water. Ocean or lakes. That is why the waterproof otterboxes are great to bring on the kayak.

Muti-travel days will require my 10 count. Same deal, but able to hold more cigars.

Brian

I use a Boveda pack as mentioned and it works perfectly. It goes right under the bottom foam (doesn't take up any room at all, really). I've had the same pack in there for almost 2 years now and it still keeps the humidity at 65%. The seal is THAT good.

I want to get an otterbox also but I was concerned about temperature change? If I go on a camping trip and it's in the 90's would it effect the cigars? Just wondering

Cigar Chief,
There is not really any difference between an Otter Box and any other way you are going to carry cigars around in 90+ degree heat. Unless you use a cooler with ice packs. I use the Otter Box all summer at the golf course and have never had a problem.

Dave