• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Outdoor Heat

Mike_D

Different kind of question here...but I figured I would call on the cold weather experts in the community.

With temperatures in the teens and spring still a few months off...I am looking for the best source for outdoor heat. I have recently been pushed out of my two indoor spots because the new addition to the family (understandable). I still go to my B&M here & there...but since you can't enjoy a nice single malt there I tend to just bundle up and head outside.

I have a front porch that is covered. I was thinking of installing some sort of electrical heater in the ceiling. It is only about 7.5 feet high. The front of the porch is open to the elements, but the heater would remain dry.

I was also considering a kerosene heater. That I could bring with me to the back yard if I wanted. I was just concerned if a friend or two comes by if it would be enough for 3 to 4 people..or if we would end up huddled over it like bums to a barrel fire.

Any thoughts?

Different kind of question here...but I figured I would call on the cold weather experts in the community.

With temperatures in the teens and spring still a few months off...I am looking for the best source for outdoor heat. I have recently been pushed out of my two indoor spots because the new addition to the family (understandable). I still go to my B&M here & there...but since you can't enjoy a nice single malt there I tend to just bundle up and head outside.

I have a front porch that is covered. I was thinking of installing some sort of electrical heater in the ceiling. It is only about 7.5 feet high. The front of the porch is open to the elements, but the heater would remain dry.

I was also considering a kerosene heater. That I could bring with me to the back yard if I wanted. I was just concerned if a friend or two comes by if it would be enough for 3 to 4 people..or if we would end up huddled over it like bums to a barrel fire.

Any thoughts?

Some of the restaraunts in NYC have propane heaters that dispense heat from above and seem to heat a table of 4-6....sure you could find them at home depot.

Any thoughts?

Smoke in a garge!

Search around on here...this has been discussed.

I use a Mr Heater Big Buddy w/20# tank...in a garage. (and Aux 220 ceiling mounted elec. heater)
If your's smokind the the back yard...in winter...start a bonfire!

patio-umbrella-heater_msp.jpg

Any thoughts?

Smoke in a garge!

Search around on here...this has been discussed.

I use a Mr Heater Big Buddy w/20# tank...in a garage. (and Aux 220 ceiling mounted elec. heater)
If your's smokind the the back yard...in winter...start a bonfire!

I should have searched first. I just posted it quick when I got into work.
The garage is attached & below our master bedroom...so that doesn't fly.

This has been discussed before, but here is a link below with patio type propane heaters.

These type of heaters radiate heat and warm objects underneath it including you. The only drawbacks would be that they are useless on a windy day, and you don't want to get it closer than two feet to any vinyl siding on your house. Anything above it would be fine as it reflects heat down. I have had a large patio umbrella less than ten inches above my heater with the cloth only getting warm.

Patio Heaters

That's pretty cool, I've never seen that before. I see it says it does the trick up until late November. Just wondering how it works with the current temps. I'm sure it doesn't keep you toasty but if it even makes braving the cold a little more bearable it may be worth it. Do you have one?
Sadly, I don't have one. I just did a web search and found this to be rather interesting and thought I'd contribute to the thread. But now I'm tempted to look into this further.

Note the copy...

Attach this piece, flip the switch and you’re ready to keep the porch party going through late November. Any longer than that, and you’re either a heavy smoker or just plain crazy

:laugh:

Has anyone ever converted one of the Home Depot style propane heaters to natural gas?

I did this years ago with a BBQ grill and it seemed easy enough at the time.

Of course, there's the mother of all outdoor heaters as well...

arctic-sun-patio-heater-barrell.jpg

http://www.backyardcity.com/heaters/arctic...ter-barrell.htm

On the weekends, I work outside at a bar, from 10p - 4a. I stand next to one of these all night. Keeps me warm enough for those 6 hours, and most of those times, I'll have a smoke. It's only when it gets to be REAL cold... single digit wind chill and below, that I won't bother with a cigar. But if you're going to be outside for only a couple hours for a smoke and a drink, I highly suggest this.

What kind of wind factor are you dealing with? That's crucial. It it's windy, you're screwed. I smoke in the garage. Here's what I use:

Presto HeatDish

and a heating pad (for your seat).

There is wind sometimes. I wish I could use the garage...

I didn't know if anyone had experience with any of these:
http://www.infraredheaters.com/outdoor.htm...CFQu-Ggodw0chVg

I didn't know if those were a better route than the tall propane ones that you see at bars that make you smoke outside. I figured the infared would be out of sight and no one would trip over it, or forget to fill up the propane tank, etc.

There is wind sometimes. I wish I could use the garage...

I didn't know if anyone had experience with any of these:
http://www.infraredheaters.com/outdoor.htm...CFQu-Ggodw0chVg

I didn't know if those were a better route than the tall propane ones that you see at bars that make you smoke outside. I figured the infared would be out of sight and no one would trip over it, or forget to fill up the propane tank, etc.

I've seen those types of heaters at a few of the bars in my neck of the woods. They usually use them to supplement the propane heaters. Plus they use clear vinyl tarps to cut the wind.

What kind of wind factor are you dealing with? That's crucial. It it's windy, you're screwed. I smoke in the garage. Here's what I use:

Presto HeatDish

Do you use a standard heating pad and what kind of chair? I thought about the heating pad but I use a standard canvas foldable chair and was worried about the heat buildup.

Presto HeatDish

One of these should solve the wind problem.

commercial_tent_BL_740.gif

Add a propane heater and you're in the Bahamas.

Do you use a standard heating pad and what kind of chair? I thought about the heating pad but I use a standard canvas foldable chair and was worried about the heat buildup.

Yeah, standard. I use your basic, cushioned lawn chair. The heating pad makes all the difference in the world. Without it, I probably wouldn't do the outside gig.

Presto HeatDish

One of these should solve the wind problem.

commercial_tent_BL_740.gif

Add a propane heater and you're in the Bahamas.

who would have thought something like that would work????

thanks for the tips

i guess the propane is the way to go...not the electric heaters