• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

outdoor smoking in the late fall/winter

comptalk

I am trying to think of ideas / suggestions on how to smoke during the winter.  I was thinking of getting one of those patio heat lamps (natural gas) and place e one of those outside.  Then, like five feet away, I'd be relaxing outside on the patio with a nice cigar to help ease and relax.

Does this work in the cold New York Winters?

Unlikely, once it gets really cold. Your front may be warm, but your backside will be freezing. Plus any wind just blows the heat away.

I mean, if that's all ya got, then tough it out. I'd look for something enclosed, though.

-John

Try this.
IMG_20130902_122706.jpg

You'd have to be standing right underneath it... if you plan on being 5 feet away relaxing you'll be freezing your ass off.

I have stood onder one while waiting for a table in a restaurant and they doo keep you warm... if you are right next to it.

When it gets really nasty outside, I have always found a nice cigar lounge with nice folks to bring you an adult beverage or two can't be beat...... :cool:

It depends on the setup you have outside. Wind would be the biggest problem. I work outside at a bar, and they used to have these. I'd stand right next to one and be sweating. Couple feet away, though, and it was a different story. But that was because the area was completely open, and the wind would whip through. Another factor, I guess, would be where in NY? Rochester winters are a different animal than LI ones.

Undegreed said:
Try this.
IMG_20130902_122706.jpg

Nice, but can't built that.  :(
tomthirtysix said:
It depends on the setup you have outside. Wind would be the biggest problem. I work outside at a bar, and they used to have these. I'd stand right next to one and be sweating. Couple feet away, though, and it was a different story. But that was because the area was completely open, and the wind would whip through. Another factor, I guess, would be where in NY? Rochester winters are a different animal than LI ones.

Lower Hudson Valley, around Westchester.
sterlingnotes said:
You'd have to be standing right underneath it... if you plan on being 5 feet away relaxing you'll be freezing your ass off.

I have stood onder one while waiting for a table in a restaurant and they doo keep you warm... if you are right next to it.

Since it's natural gas powered, I do not think it would be wise to be too close to it.  No?

comptalk said:

Since it's natural gas powered, I do not think it would be wise to be too close to it.  No?

Like I said, we had them at the outdoor bar. Only place you could smoke. As long as you know how to connect the hose to the tank, you'll be fine. Most nights I had a cigar while standing right underneath it.

If you have a patio space like on the right of that picture posted above, you might be OK. With the wind blocked on 2-3 sides, depending on the layout of your yard, One of those heaters may be good enough for you to get a cigar in.

comptalk said:

If you have a patio space like on the right of that picture posted above, you might be OK. With the wind blocked on 2-3 sides, depending on the layout of your yard, One of those heaters may be good enough for you to get a cigar in.

Before I built the cave I used a fire pit  with the house on one side and cords of firewood on two others. If it wasn't windy I was very comfortable. But in the wind, even with 3 sides protected, it was not an enjoyable experience. I moved from the fire pit into the garage then built the man cave.

I believe Tall Paul uses a heater like what you are referring to - maybe he can chime in.

comptalk said:

Lower Hudson Valley, around Westchester.

Last year I used one of those heat lamps and it was fine if it wasn't windy. As the other members pointed out, you must stay closed by it..

Setharsis said:
What about making a ring of fire?

But what if you fall in?  You'll go down, down, down and the flames will get higher.  I guess that's a good thing if you're trying to stay warm while smoking in the winter!  

I try to smoke outside all year around. Once it gets to be freezing forget it not worth it in my opinion.

On days above freezing I have a lazy boy outside recliner I keep the cushions in the house plus I have an old blanket that I use to sit on. I wear layers and have a wool watch cap and a hoodie. I wear wool socks and I have a set of gloves with wool inserts. I have a chimenea that I start before I get ready to be outside. It works for me but like I said once it gets to freezing it isn't worth it.

I have enjoyed reading your posts.  Have been thinking about a new set up for this winter as well.  The long range forecasts I have seen are calling for a wet and cold winter here in the Mid-Atlantic area.  I am thinking about setting up an area in my garage to smoke, but also want to check out a couple of lounges in the area.  Cheers!

I bought a propane gas lamp last year and our front covered patio faces south. It really didn't help much and in four days in my case I was out of gas. Thankfully HD took it back. We were 28° most mornings, so I just bundled up like Nanook, blanket on my legs and coffee. It satisfied my requirement for my morning stick, on I do like my morning stick. You might look a little rough, but who gives a rats ass.

I sit in my spare room which is equipped with a filter, fan, etc. Used to sit in the garage.

Here in southern cal, we just put some sunscreen on and kick back on the beach, of course that is after we snowboard for a few hours...

It's usually the summer months here where you can't be outside...