• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Outgassing - Cooler Humidors

calstogy

The Coleman type coolers should be made of a food grade HDPE, High Density Polyethylene, a relatively safe plastic that should not gas in it's pure form. However, high temperatures, burning, and caustic chemicals are another matter.

If your cooler is outgassing, it may be the some other byproduct of the ice chest manufacturing. I would be interested in hearing more from readers who have had problems with their ice chest outgassing. HDPE can be shaped in molds where a slip agent is used. I suspect the slip agent could outgas when the chest is new. The first solution is to try gentle cleaning with warm soapy water. I would not leave it out in direct sunlight. Perhaps glues or some other chemical used for assembly/insulation are causing the outgassing?

As I look for a new ice chest to use for a humidor, I'll definitely give it the sniff test.

HDPE carries the #2 recycling symbol. It is one of the "safe" plastics.

HDPE.jpg

- Rick

I've always put about a cup of bleach in my coolers and filled them to the top with water. Let sit for 24 hours. Then wipe down with baking soda and water. Empty and dry in the sun. This should remove any manufacturing chemicals and remove any smells. I've never had a problem after this.

I've never used bleach, but I have sloshed hot water in the cooler, wiped dry, then left open in the sun for a couple of days. Seems the heat and warmth encourages any outgassing and mine have always been odor free after that treatment.