• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Padilla Miami 8 & 11 Robusto

jstrat

I picked up a few Padilla Miami 8 & 11 robustos from cookie_1978 (thanks!) a couple of weeks ago and have been anxiously waiting to fire one up. I smoked the first one last night and here's a quick review.

I smoked this one after a nice meal and had a steaming mug of strong coffee with it. The prelight draw was nice with a taste of pepper and earthy tobacco. Kind of reminded me of a Partagas Serie D No. 4. A good sign.

I fired it up and was rewarded with some spicy smoke. A few hints of caramel and pecans, but I was surprised that it was more medium-bodied than I expected. I thought it would be more powerful.

The first third was nice, but I was hoping for more. The flavors I detected were nice, but very muted. I actually think the coffee over-powered it.

The second third picked up a little, with more of the pecan coming out, but again, it fell short of the bold, powerful flavors I was expecting. However, it did develop a very nice ash and a pleasing aroma.

By the final third, most of the flavors dissolved into straight forward tobacco with just a hint of cedar and nuts. After a few puffs I laid it to rest in the ashtray.

Overall, a decent smoke, but it didn't live up to my expectations. I will let the remainder rest a few more weeks before I try another.

Hopefully, the Tatuaje Regios that are resting in the humi will fare better!

Edited b/c I can't type tonight! :laugh:

jstrat said:
The second third picked up a little, with more of the pecan coming out, but again, it fell short of the bold, powerful flavors I was expecting. However, it did develop a very nice ash and a pleasing aroma.

[snapback]295114[/snapback]​

The Tatuajes are stronger and have a more "in your face" type of flavor so you will probably like it better. I like the Padilla for the reasons you dislike it. I enjoy the subtle refined flavors, I found it to be complex and elegant. I don't like a lot of full body cigars that just knock you over the head with brash flavors that don't harmonize well together. I find the Padilla to be a very balanced and enjoyable cigar. I am surprised by how many aren't liking the 8/11. Oh well, they are super rare so I guess that's a good thing for me.

Fyodor, you've described the Padilla well, it was very balanced. I think I came across a bit too negative in my review; I did like the Padilla, I think I was just expecting something a bit bolder. I need to smoke another to really give an accurate review. :D

Great clarification, Fyodor. It sounds like the Padilla will be exactly the different kind of smoke that I've been looking for.

I think I would be reasonably happy smoking nothing but Tatuaje, Oneoff and Padilla for a year.

Wilkey

I've smoke a couple of the 8&11 robustos. Very nice smoke. The one thing I can suggest is...don't store then at 70%. Closer to 62-65% is the trick. The first one I smoked was straight off the shelf of the store...maintained at 70%. It smoked OK, but got a bit harsh on the back end. The second, smoked like a dream...smooth all the way down...wonderful. I have added these to my NC rotation.

Now, to try the lancero. :thumbs:

Cigardawg, I think you are right. I keep my humidors at 65%, but these have only been in there about two weeks. More time at the lower RH will probably bring out some additional complexities.

Judging from the experience of others, it is possible that these cigars may not be completely consistent. The ones I have had have all been great but a couple of them really stood out and blew me away. A wise member of this forum once said, "The one problem with boutique cigars is consistency. Most do not have access to a ton of aged tobacco so the blends can change from batch to batch." May be some truth to that I don't know. For anybody that doesn't like the first one I would definitely recommend trying another. And definitely store them at 62- 65% RH.

I would have to agree with these reviews posted. The first 8/11 I had was exquisite, had flavors truly one of the top cigars I have ever had, but since then I have bought a few other and have been disappointed. Could the inconstancy be from the resent press which led to a run-up in production? The first one I had was maybe 6 moths ago pre any reviews.

I would have to agree with these reviews posted. The first 8/11 I had was exquisite, had flavors truly one of the top cigars I have ever had, but since then I have bought a few other and have been disappointed. Could the inconstancy be from the resent press which led to a run-up in production? The first one I had was maybe 6 moths ago pre any reviews.

I bought quite a few singles of the Lanceros from my local shop a while back and they were great. I just recently bought a box and they seem quite a bit different. They look ruff and are darker in color. The singles I got from the shop were from the old pyramid looking box and the recent ones are from the Cigar Aficionado cigar of the year box. I would recommend looking for the old boxes. However, I've only smoked one out of the recent box, maybe it was a fluke.