• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

*********Padilla************

Phil

Phil’s Cigar Notes
1/14/03
Padilla Corona (small robusto (I couldnt tell))

A few folks have asked me my thoughts on this cigar so I have decided to go ahead and smoke it. I did my best to write down notes while smoking this cigar to get the best review possible for you folks. Mr. Padilla Himself sent these cigars to us over the holidays for folks who signed up for the Padilla pass to try out and enjoy.
I grabbed this cigar out of my humidor and when I gave it the once over to write a few notes down, I could tell that I had gravely underestimated this cigar. This cigar is very well constructed (the one I am smoking has a split foot – as many of yours will also). I gave it a little squeeze, and to my surprise it had a very firm roll (I only hope that does not lead to a plugged cigar) and a very veiny (the veins were very fine) and toothy dark brown wrapper. The pre-light aroma is excellent, these babies smell goooooood. Much to my surprise this cigar came equipped with a triple seam cap, which was very sloppy but triple seam none-the-less. I took a second to fell the wrapper’s texture, which was silky smooth and really quite sheen in the light. I clipped this smoke with a newer pair of XiKars that I have and although they have been sitting in my coolidor for roughly a week, the cigar was still kind of dry and I could tell that a bit longer in the humidor will help these a lot. That being said no problems arose even though I was sure it sounded like the wrapper cracked from the clip. I tested the draw…………WOW, the pre-light draw was perfect, actually almost too lush which made me wonder if it was going to burn hot, also while taking the test draw I tasted a very distinct flavor which I can’t quite put a finger on, but it is very distinct and I shall be curious to hear what other folks think about it.
Right as I was about to light the smoke one of my buddies called and I had to set it down for a minute. We decided that we were going to have a little mini-herf at his house so he came to pick me up. When I got over there, there were two people waiting for us, cigar already in hand. (As a side note we played True Crime – Streets of L.A. while smoking and that game is KICK ASS!!!) Since there were so many of us we used a cedar spill to light the cigars. Mine lit up with ease, as I knew it would. It burned kind of hot and rough for the first couple of puffs but had a good flavor to it that was a solid Medium Body. Once the harshness had subsided more and more flavor from this cigar made itself evident. I lit the cigar as even as I ever have, but right away it started a bit of an uneven burn. The ash is very strong (hence the tight roll) and was a light gray with a brownish tinge to it, with a blackened foot (the cedar spill?) and black blotches running throughout. A little past halfway the burn caught up to itself but I recommend that everyone else leave these in the humidor for a few weeks (hell a couple months might not hurt) to adjust. I am really enjoying this cigar more than I thought I would, it has a nice med bodied, with very smooth flavors on the tongue while the power of this cigar comes from the nose which is laden with pepper and subtle hints of licorice. At just a hair under 2 ½ inches the ash fell off ON ME!!!!! Just as I was writing down intricate details about how long and sturdy the ash of this cigar was it seemed to scoff at me and fell on my lap. I smoked it to about 1 ¼ inches and set it down for good. The finish was a rather bland semi-hot one that I didn’t enjoy enough to proceed much further than that.
All in all this was a good cigar that was well made and had a good strong ash. I give it a solid 87 and to be honest more time in the humidor could raise that score. I did take points away for the slightly hot burn and the cracked foot. I did enjoy this smoke quite a bit through the first half, but as I got close the end/finish of the cigar I was getting kind of tired of it. I will be grabbing a few more if not a small box from Mr. Padilla and I will let these sit in my coolidor for a couple of months and see what that does to them. I think all of you in the Padilla Pass will enjoy, I sure hope you all do!!!

Phil

Great review Phil. I'll take your advice and let her sit in the humi for a few weeks at least before smoking. I can't remember, was there any info on these as far as wrapper/binder/filler?

lucasbuck said:
Great review Phil. I'll take your advice and let her sit in the humi for a few weeks at least before smoking. I can't remember, was there any info on these as far as wrapper/binder/filler?
I didnt get any.

Let me see if I can't get some info Via PM from Mr. Padilla.

Maybe at his website too...........

EDIT: here is the address

Padilla Cigars

This is an excerpt from an email from Mr. Padilla:

As far as the factory info, it is being made by an all Cuban staff in Panama yes Panama it contains no Panamanian tobacco mostly Nicaraguan and then another blend in Cameroon and Nicaraguan. The reason for Panama is their is a large influx of skilled Cuban labor who have exiled themselves their. The master blender is about 65 and has workeed it most of the top factories in Cuba.

Great review Phil.cant wait to try it after a few weeksin the humi. :)
I check out is web site and the links don't work.

I guess when they come in, they need to nap for awhile before smoking, just to rehydrate and whatnot... stabilize I guess ???

Can't wait.... I tried to get Mr Padilla to send some for the Texas herfers, he agreed but never sent any :( oh well. I was trying to help him out.

GREAT REVIEW PHIL.

Toaster, I think he did... and Purobrat has them, if I remember correctly.

vewyphishy said:
I actually emailed Ernesto about a seperate deal, he told me to give him my address and he was going to send a box for the DFW cigar group, he knew exactly what I was talking about... But they never showed up. If PB got them- thats fine, but that was for an entirely different group of people. :(

The DFW group is about 20 or so regular members (myself included) who meet twice a month. No big deal to me- I was trying to get padilla cigars some exposure with these guys... when they like a cigar- a box purchase is almost always sure to follow.

:thumbs: Toaster

Send him a PM on this forum Toaster. He tends to answer my PM's in a relitivly quick fashion.

Phil

Toaster said:
vewyphishy said:
I actually emailed Ernesto about a seperate deal, he told me to give him my address and he was going to send a box for the DFW cigar group, he knew exactly what I was talking about... But they never showed up. If PB got them- thats fine, but that was for an entirely different group of people. :(

The DFW group is about 20 or so regular members (myself included) who meet twice a month. No big deal to me- I was trying to get padilla cigars some exposure with these guys... when they like a cigar- a box purchase is almost always sure to follow.

:thumbs: Toaster
Yes, he sent 15 of them to me to pass out at our North Texas CP Herf. This herf was scheduled for a night between Christmas and New Years, unfortunately was put on the back burner and hopefully will happen some time in the Near Future :sneaky:

But I am sure that he knew it was a different group, Toaster. These came with a letter that stated they were for our North Texas Herf, not the DFW Group' I would certainly send him a message, and inquire about those.

I did smoke my Padilla this Past Sunday:

The construction of this cigar was very nice. It was close to Flawless and it looked like a triple cap, I think that Phil also commented that it was a triple cap. The wrapper was a medium brown, slightly darker than the H2000 wrappers I have seen. There was a slight tooth to the wrapper but it was very understated as the light bounced off. I started to snip the end with my Xi but opted instead for a 357 Cal Punch so as to keep a fully intact Cap.

Tested the draw and found it to be a little easy. I usually enjoy some resistance in the draw and this one had none. There was a Pecan Shell taste to the pre-light draw, which just barely bit my tongue. I toasted the foot and the smoke from it smelled nice, somewhat floral in tone.

When I fired it up, I found that the pecan shell taste was there as well, strong bitter flavor on the first draw which diminished quickly and went away after the third draw. The pecan shell gone now, allowed the real flavors to come through and I found the cigar to be nutty with undertones of leather and some pepper, though not too much pepper, just a hint.

The smoke was very thick and “Creamy”. I was able to feel the smoke bathing my tongue and palate. At this point the finish was smooth and milky, a bit more substantial than I am use to having, but it lingered only for a few seconds.

About 2/3 into this Robusto sized stick, the pepper intensified some and the Nutty flavor dropped back. The leather stayed firm to the nub. When I put it in the ashtray, I was surprised to note that the punched hole was still round and intact, with very little tar on it.

All in all the Padilla is a very good cigar. I would put it in the medium price range. If the Robusto size goes much over a $5 price tag I would likely not buy it. Otherwise?