• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

PADRON 1926 40TH ANNIVERSARY

jus10

CP Shipping Guru
Brand: PADRON 1926 40TH ANNIVERSARY
Name: 40th ANNIVERSARY MADURO
Origin: NICARAGUA
Shape: TORPEDO
Wrapper: NICARAGUA
Binder: NICARAGUA
Filler: NICARAGUA
Ring Gage: 54
Length: 6.5

Padron40th1.jpg

Construction: Really top notch! this Cigar is an A+ construction wise. With only a small amount of the head cut off, the cigar had a perfect prelight draw. The prelight had the Padron Nicaraguan taste with a bit of a raspberry infusion (I have never gotten a fruity taste from a Padron before) The wrapper is Tootsie Roll beautiful, and oily as heck.

Padron40th2.jpg

Smoke first 3rd: The ash is marbleised dark gray and light gray with the tooth or the wrapper (which is almost indiscernible to the eye) speckling the ash with little white dots. The first inch has been uneventful in regards to flavor. Not to say thats its not exceptional just not 40th anniversary yet. At the end of the first 3rd the cigar is beginning to open up abit but for the most part is underperforming as far as what I expect from a Stick of this stature.

White Tooth Specles

Padron40th4.jpg

Padron40th3.jpg

Smoke second 3rd: About 5 buffs in the ash fell onto my lag that was crossed and bounced quite nicely into a bucket of dirt and moss that I had next to me. :D I'm about 45 minutes into this bad boy and a dry toast taste is the major flavor profile that I am getting now. what I would love to get from this cigar at this point is a buttered Cinnamon toast, with the dry wheat taste coming later. (But its not.....) It seems clear to me now that the raspberry I tasted in the predraw is not to be :(

Padron40th5.jpg

Smoke final 3rd: Coming to the conclusion of this smoke I am getting great 1926 finish. Smooth, but zippy enough to keep you interested.
Conclusion: Great smoke of course, but with Cigars of this caliber/price tag I have to ask myself...was the juice worth the squeeze? and regretfully I have to say no. To bad as I love Padron products and this was my trial run before picking up a box. If any one out there feels that this cigar is worth the $$ after smoking half a box let me know.

Jus,

Thanks for the fantastic multimedia review. Great pictures and great words to boot. I appreciate your honest assessment of the experience. I've never gone past the standard Serie 1926 (in terms of exclusivity or price) but like you, I would have expected a trip to heaven.

FWIW, I've never gotten fruit out of a Padron either.

And I see you're into bonsai. Hence the dirt and mulch? ;)

Wilkey

great review - I was thinking do I want to spend $ 25 for 1 stick - after that review I think I will wait for a bit - maybe tax refund :laugh:

Great review; I love the pics. $25 is way out of my price range, for $3 I will gladly stick to my 1 year aged 2000s.

FWIW... I believe "most" manufacturers make super high priced cigars just because there is a market for people that have tons of money to blow and refuse to smoke a $3 cigar. Obviously, there are a few exceptions.

Yes, I agree that there are some cases where the manufacturer places a cigar at a price point because they will sell not for the quality or rarity of the tobacco being used (age, small quantity or whatever). I was hoping that this wouldn't be one of them. In this case I feel that this cigars price point is based on the number produced of this particular offering. This is not uncommon but the padron line has been spot on in regards to giving you more quality as the line and price point moves upward. I.E. 1000 line to 64 and 64 to 26. Each is a step up in my opinion. When the quality ceases to increase while the $$ increases I step away. This is what I think has happened in the step from 26 to 40th anniversary. Again I have not smoked 1/2 a box of these to accurately make this statement for sure, but for right now that's how I call it.

i bought a box of these a few months back. i smoke 1 about every 3 weeks or so and they definatly do get better with each one. are they worth $25 per? probably not. but they sure look good in the humi and im hoping in about a year they will be worth 25 bucks.

I agree that Padron does increase price as rarity and tobacco quality increases. It's sad to see that this may not be the case here. I suppose I have to ask how much better can tobacco get and how much higher can the price go. Soon it's going to be an ultra rare, 5.5 billion year anniversary for the birth of Earth with original garden of eden tobacco. Of course I'm only kidding....but sometimes it may serve just as well to take a lower cigar in a line and age it for a while to get the flavor you're looking for at a lower price point. However, that will cost you time and time is money. Only time will tell on this cigar, as I have not personally had it nor anything else in the 26 line. For the record I'm a Padron fanatic.

Jason

Great comments in this thread. I'm really enjoying hearing everyone's thoughts on the value curve.

Still rather buy a few boxes of ´000 series cigars and age them for the price of one box of 1964 or 1926.

Wurm said:
Still rather buy a few boxes of ´000 series cigars and age them for the price of one box of 1964 or 1926.
[snapback]275661[/snapback]​

Best way to go if you're tight on money. Ideally, you might wanna have a couple of 000 series aging while you slowly smoke out of a box of 64's since they're good off the truck.

Jason

MichiganM said:
Wurm said:
[snapback]275661[/snapback]​

Best way to go if you're tight on money. Ideally, you might wanna have a couple of 000 series aging while you slowly smoke out of a box of 64's since they're good off the truck.

Jason
[snapback]275664[/snapback]​

I think the ´000 are great right off the truck too, they do get better with age, but I like how they taste fresh as well.

The ´000 series are a Win - Win situation IMHO.

The last CA magazine interview with Padron, he says, in not so many words, that they heavily price and sell cigars to those who can and want to afford cigars with a higher price tag...but I never read if he says he thinks the "they" are worth it...funny. But, hey, my favorite is a PAM64 with 1 year on them.

-Fetter

fetterjohn said:
The last CA magazine interview with Padron, he says, in not so many words, that they heavily price and sell cigars to those who can and want to afford cigars with a higher price tag...but I never read if he says he thinks the "they" are worth it...funny. But, hey, my favorite is a PAM64 with 1 year on them.

-Fetter
[snapback]275890[/snapback]​

Well,

This seems to lend some credence to Lew Rothman's incessant rant against "expensive and exclusive" cigars.

Intrestingly enough i have tried exactly two padrons and found both to be to harsh for my taste. I will try a few more before i make an honest opinion though.

Intrestingly enough i have tried exactly two padrons and found both to be to harsh for my taste. I will try a few more before i make an honest opinion though.
Yes, please do try a few more from Padron. They put out an excellent and very consistant product. I in no way think that Padrons aren't up to snuff, I just think the Buck stops with the 1926 line. (the #35 & #6 are spot on for the money)

I've got an entire 2 boxes of the Padron 1926 #35's and #6's in Maduro. They are definitely excellent cigars. These are definitely my favorite cigars to smoke next to the Padron 1964 Maduros.

Very nice review. They are world class cigar and stacks up to any super premium. However at 25 bucks pop they ain't makin their way into my cabinet. Too damn pricey when I can enjoy the 64 for so much less dough.If they were in 12-14 range, I would buy a few singles to keep on hand.

The Master said:
Very nice review. They are world class cigar and stacks up to any super premium. However at 25 bucks pop they ain't makin their way into my cabinet. Too damn pricey when I can enjoy the 64 for so much less dough.If they were in 12-14 range, I would buy a few singles to keep on hand.
[snapback]277082[/snapback]​

The most that I paid was $288 for an entire box of Padron 1926 #6 Maduros.
And the 2nd full box of #35 Maduros only cost $240

You got to look around to find someone that's going to sell you the Padrons at MSRP like I did.

Got it thanks!

Can you read the instructions for being a member of Cigar Pass?

Don't "bump" old threads. If a thread is more than a year old, then there's probably no need to post to it. There are exceptions, please use your best judgment.

Use the SEARCH tool every chance you can. If you're searching for what seems like a common question, please use the search tool. We have two search tools; one is built into the forum software, and the other is the Google Site Search (located at the bottom of the forum). Always best to try using both search tools before asking what may be a common question.