• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Padron #2 1926 Natural

Eventhorizon

Muy caliente!

And I'm not talking just about the weather folks! This blasted heat and humidity has wreaked havoc on my smoking but I've had a box of these waiting for me since Monday and so this evening I braved the elements and sparked up.

White pepper, full, rounded flavour of spice, leather, sandal wood and did I mention spice? Perhaps the cigar hadn't fully acclimatized from the journey or Padrons need a more arid humidor than my 65RH Bovedas provide but from the first draw to the last I knew I had a hot one here.  I'm a fan of Indian food and when I was in England I would take clients to the best restaurants of their kind and in London one is not stuck for choice of high-end Indian cuisine.  This cigar reminded me of the best of them.  The trick to a good Indian dish is to allow the spice to bring out the innate flavour of the ingredients rather than to smother them with heat and so it was with my Padron. I could taste the familiar Padron tobacco and earthy notes but also, and more so than the Maduro of this size, I could taste the more subtle flavours of wood and leather.  The main difference being however where the Maduro is a feast of creaminess, the Natural is a shot of heat.

The construction, again, is flawless. I would swear that Padron has a number of German-blooded rollers given the stoic nature of the white-stone ash that kept form and disciple such would put an Audi R8 on a dry runway to shame. When the ash, fully halfway down, did fall, it made my deck groan and must have woken the Kraken somewhere in Greece. But what would I care? I was Perseus exhaling a smokey Pegasus and watching it swirl up into the half-moon night air.  

At about this point, the cigar newly fired from the influx of oxygen the flavour turned noticeably milder, but this is from a high level of strength initially - think Mike Tyson in round 4...  This is a man's cigar, this is a cigar by which heavy options are weighed and commands given that determine the fates of men and nations. Or in my case the somber contemplation of the ever growing 'honey do' list waiting to ambush my weekend like a snake hiding 'neath the flower.

The color of the Natural wrapper is not the cafe-au-lait of some other cigars, the Nicaraguan darkness is not far from this wrapper but next to a Maduro it lacks the oily, brooding mystery of the Maduro's coffee bean complexion. I enjoyed it, and I think, strong as it was, it may have enjoyed me, it was my first Natural and not least because I have another 23 to go, it won't be my last.

Get in shape for this one chaps, it takes no prisoners, or names, and just wants to know if you have the cojones to light up...

Wow, nice write up even if I had to consult my Thesaurus three times.

Thanks! Please forgive my pomposity, but in a world where "whatever" passes for the full spectrum of emotional expression of 90% of the population I let loose with the cigar reviews...

UPDATE:
So, I just had the same cigar only this time dry boxed for a short time and I used a cheap V cutter (nervously). What a difference! The spice was greatly tamed, the smoke volume was copious and the overall experience was a very enjoyable mellow one. The cigar didnt get a build up of nicotine towards the end, it didn't get bitter and the burn for 90% was razor sharp. The draw on this cigar was the easiest I've had on all of my #2s. I'm hooked on this method now I think and will invest in a better quality v cutter as mine slightly crushed the very last part of the cut.

I'm really quite surprised at the difference.