• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Padron 2000 natural

flynnster

Well it was only my second cigar (first was a Montecristo White label #3) and I hated it. First part wasn't my favorite but I figured it was because it was only my second one, then there was about ten or fifteen minutes where it was pretty good, but then it turned terrible. I would almost call the taste sour, with a really bad after taste. Should I expect that much of a difference in the Maduro I have waiting for me?

Padron 2000 is usually a smoke you can't go wrong with . . . perhaps you had a bad one, but enough people on here (myself included) really enjoy them, so I might give it one more shot before ruling it out completely

Might have been over humidified and turned moldy inside the stick.

You could chalk it up to a lot of things, except the cigar.

Doc.

Haha alright, thanks guys, I was confused by it since everyone here seems to love them. What differences can I expect out of the Maduro?

Novice advice here, so be warned. But is it possible that you were drawing too hard and and thus burning too hot. That can cause poor flavor. Sounds like the most likely suspect considering that you are a fellow novice.

I didn't even know that was a possibility, so does hat mean too large of a draw, too often, or literally sucking too hard (I feel as though those words will be twisted.)

Haha alright, thanks guys, I was confused by it since everyone here seems to love them. What differences can I expect out of the Maduro?
It sounds like if you get one at the same store you may be disappointed again. Try another source.

I have an idea! You're perfect for the Newbie Sampler thread. It's designed to introduce newbs to cigars with an eye toward helping you find out what cigars you like.

It sounds like if you get one at the same store you may be disappointed again. Try another source.

I have an idea! You're perfect for the Newbie Sampler thread. It's designed to introduce newbs to cigars with an eye toward helping you find out what cigars you like.

Definitely a great idea ^^^. In the mean time you might try an Arturo Fuente green label. They are a good mild/medium smoke and I haven't had a bad one yet. I think the Padrons might be a bit strong for your second cigar. ;)

Yes you can definitely draw too hard. There are many things that affect a cigar.
If you draw too hard the tobacco burns too hot and begins to taste harsh. Also if the cigar is too dry it will also burn too hot. The rate of draw seems to be a matter of speculation however and IMO...just find your comfort zone. The cigar etiquette guide that was written a while ago says 1 puff per minute...I tend to draw a little more often than that but I also tend to set it down while I'm writing or reading and allow the tobacco to cool down.

Also remember to check your humidification. If the cigar is too moist it can have a problem burning and taste bitter. Also cigars that sit in overmoist conditions for a long time can develop mold as was said earlier, I can imagine this would be disgusting.

What are the conditions inside your humidor?

No humidor as of yet, bought it from a very nice shop here in Chicago (Iwan Ries) so I assume their humi is set correctly. I am thinking that I was probably drawing too hard as around the time it got real bad was when I stopped reading and was just smoking so I was more focused on it.

No humidor as of yet, bought it from a very nice shop here in Chicago (Iwan Ries) so I assume their humi is set correctly. I am thinking that I was probably drawing too hard as around the time it got real bad was when I stopped reading and was just smoking so I was more focused on it.

When I buy cigars in my local shop they are a little bit dry compare to the ones I keep in my humidor. Maybe is because people go in and out of the walk-in humidor constantly, so maybe your stogie was a bit dry plus the fact
that you were drawing too hard and maybe too often as well.
Try this next time, put your lips around your cigar as if it was a straw and draw slowly and then wait about a minute
before you draw again. This is how I do it and I have never had a stogie burning hot.
Good luck!

Chances are it was over humidified if it was at a shop. Search Tupperdore and set one up. Padron 2000s have loose draws generally so they can over heat quickly if you're not careful and puff too quickly. If it was too humid when you smoked it that might be an issue as well. 65% seems to be great for a 2000 for me.

Out of curiosity, how long did it take for you to finish the cigar? That cigar usually lasts me an hour as I tend to smoke slow because I know how bad a cigar can taste when it's rushed. Slow down and make it an experience.

See I spent about 45minutes on it, and put it out with a decent amount left, but I think I was drawing too hard. I didn't draw often but i feel like I was drawing hard.

I draw about once a minute, but I take 2 or 3 warm up puffs before the "real" one... It has worked out for me .... those padron 2000s are awesome cigars, you probably just got a bad one.

Hit up a different shop and try another one.

I'd love to buy a box of those some time!

Jim

Never had a Padron 2000 I didn't like, Natural or Maduro. Im a newb, though, so take it with a grain of salt :).