• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Padron 4000 Natural

Rob

My pregnant wife and little boy stayed over at her mother`s the other night and I stayed behind. Perfect setting for a long, relaxing INDOOR smoke. So I decided on Padron 4000, being a reliable smoke. So I kicked back and lit up...
You are welcome to check out MY BLOG for more cigar related stuff.

12092008333.jpg

PADRON 4000 NATURAL
TORO

Origin: Nicaragua
Wrapper: Nicaraguan Sun grown
Binder: Nicaraguan Sun grown
Filler: Nicaraguan Sun grown

Place of purchase: Famous Smoke Shop Online
12092008331.jpg

TASTING SHEET RESULTS

SIZE: 6.5x54
APPEARANCE: poor to average: this one is no looker, veiny with some larger veins, evenly colored colorado maduro wrapper, slight oily sheen, slapped on cap
CONSTRUCTION: poor to average: soft bunch indicating underfill, soft, excessive give, tried to counteract with a punch cut, hastily applied cap
DRAW: loose
BURN: very good to excellent
AROMA: very good
FLAVOR: good to very good
DOMINANT FLAVORS: nut, cocoa, leather, pepper
AFTERTASTE: worn leather
STRENGHT: moderate
SMOKING TIME: ~ 2 hours
GENERAL IMPRESSION: good
12092008332.jpg

CUT: punch
PRELIGHT: earth, salty tobacco
LIGHT: torch flame lighter, easily
BEVERAGE: espresso

1/3:
First puffs delivered nutty flavor, underlined by leather and pepper. I tingles back of the throat immediately. Nose blow nutty with generous pepper - not recommended for new smokers. Draw loose, even with punch cut. Thin burn line with somewhat loose ash. It continues in nutty fashion strongly backed by pepper and a touch of worn leather. Abundant smoke. Nearing second third salty notes join nut and pepper in the foreground, while cocoa is detected in the back. Ashing reveals cone. Body in the medium.
12092008335.jpg

2/3:
Slowly, unsweetened cocoa appears from the background and starts dominating. Pepper eased out of the picture and nuts retreat to the back, but still show presence. Light charry, salty finish. I really have to pace myself to preserve flavors, as the smoke overheats very easily due to excessively loose draw. Body in the solid medium. Wonderful aroma: chocolate and roasted nuts.
12092008337.jpg

3/3:
Flavors at this point are static. Finish remains salty, with charry notes increasing. Pepper slowly returns and takes centerstage.
12092008338.jpg

NUB:
Bitterness dominates with pepper trailing. Body stayed in the medium. No tar build-up, nice fermentation. Finish long, spicy bitter wood with just a touch of leather.
13092008339.jpg

13092008341.jpg

What to say about Padrons? They are really consistent cigars, good quality, value oriented cigars with great flavors and aroma. I just love them.... when they are good. My consistent ("PADRON" THE PUN :) problem is loose draw. I don`t mind haphazard appearance, as I "judge" a smoke on its flavor and performance, not cosmetics, but loose draw really spoils the enjoyment I get out of these, as I have to pay really close attention not to overheat the smoke. I guess Padrons really loathe plugged smokes, so they over-insure it does not happen with their smokes. Otherwise, these are fantastic and every cigar smoker should at least try these.

.... and nuts retreat to the back

Nice review.... little too much information! :laugh:

These are great, then again what Padron isn't. Just curious as to what rH this was kept at prior to smoking. Padron is imo one of those cigars that can be enjoyed, unlike many others, at a relatively high % rH's. Certainly in the mid-high 60's and even flirting with 70%. I've smoked a few '26's lately that were kept around 60% rH and all had very loose draws.... which I surprisingly enjoyed very much.

Hey there

hahaha... :D Great post. Luckily, those weren`t mine that retreated to the back hahaha...

I agree with you on RH and Padrons. They thrive in upper 60s and even low 70. Mine setup hovers around 60-62% RH, as I have a lot of cubans and a lot ligero loaded NC smokes in the cooler, so I have to keep humidity down, otherwise those are practically unsmokable.
Loose draw kills my enjoyment instantly. If pressed to choose, I prefer a firmer (not tight) draw to loose one. With the former I feel that even though I work to get taste, I at least get it, even though there is not a lot of smoke. With loose draw, even sips still produce "thin" taste to me, regardless of volume of smoke produced.
My 2 cents...

I kinda like a looser draw personally. You do have to avoid hotboxing, but to say you have to pay really close attention is a bit over the top in my opinion.

Smooth is the word that comes to mind when I think loose draw. You don't have to labor to get thick, cascading smoke of Padron goodness, which is alright by me. Hey, I might just be so lazy that I appreciate not having to expel any effort whatsoever to get smoke from these sticks ;).

Hi Macion

I deliberately put "heavy words" in the review, as I really hate loose draws. To me, it is like sucking air through a wide straw. I guess it`s a matter of personal opinion and direct result of smoking technique. Usually I don`t "sip" on a cigar but take deep draws, or two consecutive, one shallow, one deep. It is not a deliberate technique, but something I do "naturally". This way, hotboxing is inevitable with loose draws or other construction issues. That is why I always mention if smoke "withstands abuse" in my reviews.

I guess it all comes down to personal preference.

Thanks for sharing your thought on the subject
Rob

I "tried" to smoke a 2000 maduro last night. It was my first horrible experience. I've had a few and liked them a lot. This one burned real hot and the draw reminded me of the ironpeddlers sixth stick smoked by seanholio. Review

I "tried" to smoke a 2000 maduro last night. It was my first horrible experience. I've had a few and liked them a lot. This one burned real hot and the draw reminded me of the ironpeddlers sixth stick smoked by seanholio. Review

Say what you will, that mystery cigar is one of the cheapest around, and often surprises you by turning up in strange bathroom locales. Someone must be having a joke with me.

I love the Padron 2000's, haven't tried the 4000's yet. I'm a newbie, started with Montecristo Whites, then #5's, then found the Padron's after reading a review. After smoking the Padron's, the Montecristo's feel like a waste of money to me, especially the whites. The whites seem so bland compared to the Padron's and the #5's harsh when compared to the smoothness of the Padron. I try to stick with smaller sticks as I don't usually have more than an hour at a time to relax with one which is why I went with the 2000's, but I may need to try the 4000 once I have some more free time. Great review!