• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Padron 50th Anniversary Singles

I've been down on Padron for years, it's nice to see everyone come around.

Great suggestion on the Illusione Rothchildes, I was really impressed by the one I had recently.

Agreed on the whole marketing thing.  The only AF or Padron regular production cigars I have been buying and smoking lately are the AF sungrown 858 and AF sungrown chateau cigars when I can find them and in my humble opinion are still very good smokes with a reasonable price tag.  I have also had a couple of regular Padron churchills lately which were very good, albeit they were in the humidor for a few years. 

I had a bad experience yesterday with a Family Reserve #50 natural.  Stem sticking out 3/4 of an inch from the ash, bad wrapper and the annoying small bits of ash flying off the cigar, as well as "who cares" taste.  I expected much more from a $25+ cigar with that pedigree.

I suppose there are those who smoke expensive cigars but excellent alternatives are out there as has been pointed out. 

I have always wondered why I don't smoke more Padrons, but then I read the excellent posts on this thread and remember why.  Even if price was not a factor there are too many other options I enjoy more.

(I am smoking a crap ton of Pepin and Pepin-rolled stuff now, even more so than my beloved Fuentes.)

Ok, let's not get out of hand here please ;)

Agree....the over $100 price tag on these is not justified.  But let's hold off on the "Padron sucks" threads for just a bit.

I've been smoking all the Padron lines regularly for over 10 years and can't say I agree with the whole talk about their quality and tastes declining.  The Padron 2000 maduros are still one of the best budget smokes out there, the PAM/PAN line is still a solid cigar, and the Serie '26 is outstanding.

And having gone through about 2 boxes of Serie '26 #35 Maduro's per year, I can still claim that it continues to be the most consistent, flavorful, and dependable cigar I've ever had.  Meaning it has literally never let me down in all three of those categories.....ever.....not once. 

Yep, Padron got out of hand with this 50 year cigar.  No doubt, and I certainly am not even looking for one.  But I just put another full box of '26 maddies in my humidor 5 days ago.  I stacked it right on top of the other half full box....and the rotation continues. 

Padron still makes great cigars guys......and so does Arturo Fuente.....at least I think so. :thumbs:

While I did relate a bad experience (admittedly my first one with any Padron) and agree with the school of marketing comment, I never said that Padrons and Feunte's suck.  In fact I stood up for some of the regular production cigars which I have continued to buy.  As I understood it, the cigars being maligned were the regular productions stuff...the '000 series etc.  I don't think the discussion about sucky smokes included the Serie '26.   ;) 

Brickhouse said:

Agree....the over $100 price tag on these is not justified.  But let's hold off on the "Padron sucks" threads for just a bit.

I've been smoking all the Padron lines regularly for over 10 years and can't say I agree with the whole talk about their quality and tastes declining.  The Padron 2000 maduros are still one of the best budget smokes out there, the PAM/PAN line is still a solid cigar, and the Serie '26 is outstanding.

And having gone through about 2 boxes of Serie '26 #35 Maduro's per year, I can still claim that it continues to be the most consistent, flavorful, and dependable cigar I've ever had.  Meaning it has literally never let me down in all three of those categories.....ever.....not once. 

Yep, Padron got out of hand with this 50 year cigar.  No doubt, and I certainly am not even looking for one.  But I just put another full box of '26 maddies in my humidor 5 days ago.  I stacked it right on top of the other half full box....and the rotation continues. 

Padron still makes great cigars guys......and so does Arturo Fuente.....at least I think so. :thumbs:
Thank you for being the voice of reason...

Brickhouse said:

....and yet, after paying $250.00 for a box of ten 50th anniversary smokes, I and the people I've shared them with have been seriously underwhelmed.  

Wouldn't you think a $25.00 cigar would have at least a little 'wow' factor...??

Understand, I've been a real Padron fan.  I've spend thousands of dollars on their smokes, and have turned many guys onto the brand.  But, the last smokes I've bought have been so....disappointing, I just can't get behind paying the new and higher prices for smokes that have let me down, over and over.

One man's opinion, Wyatt......and, I'd love to be proved wrong.

BlindedByScience said:
....and yet, after paying $250.00 for a box of ten 50th anniversary smokes, I and the people I've shared them with have been seriously underwhelmed.  

Wouldn't you think a $25.00 cigar would have at least a little 'wow' factor...??

Understand, I've been a real Padron fan.  I've spend thousands of dollars on their smokes, and have turned many guys onto the brand.  But, the last smokes I've bought have been so....disappointing, I just can't get behind paying the new and higher prices for smokes that have let me down, over and over.

One man's opinion, Wyatt......and, I'd love to be proved wrong.

I can't speak to the new 50th Anniversary or Family Reserve 50, the two which I do understand this thread was meant for.  I haven't had them and most likely won't since I will not pay that price point for them.  So I'll take your word on the quality of them, as I know you and I have similar taste.

My post was simply to slow the train on the mention of Padron not making quality cigars anymore.  Maybe I read into some posts a bit much, but it seemed to me that was where it was going. 

To each his own, no doubt.  Different smokes for different folks, no doubt.  But I am not buying into the notion that these two new cigars and their lack of ability to measure up to the hype/price means the rest of the line has also dwindled.  I just haven't seen that at all.  Admittedly, I really only smoke the Serie '26 and some 2000s from time to time.  But what I do smoke seems to be as good as ever.

But to answer your question, yes, a $25.00 and $100.00 cigar should have a wow factor.  Especially when it's coming from Padron.  Apparently they are falling short, which is disappointing.  I know the Millennium for example was spot on.

And finally, I'm obviously not saying anyone is dead wrong for anything they think here....just constructive conversation that keeps the cigar juices flowing, that's all. 

Brickhouse said:

I agree.
There's gonna be things that you can't afford.
Does Mercedes Benz suck because you can't afford one of their $100,000 cars?
Just buy the Padrons you CAN afford and enjoy them.
Padron doesn't suddenly suck because of the price of these cigars.

diapanos said:

I agree.

I don't think that is the point that was being made.  I think the point was they "suck" because of the price being so high for a pedestrian quality smoke.

Now, I happen to enjoy the x000 line very much and still do.  I recently went to a Padron event and stocked up on some 2000 maduros.  Still enjoy them and find them to be great cigars still for the quality.

Overall, a lot of good points here, and Tom, I think your point is pretty much right on it.  I think a lot of brands, once they start to see the dollar signs, will let some of the quality slip in the name of the almighty buck. Example: I love Drew Estate smokes, especially Ligas, but I think the prices they're commanding for the Liga line is out of hand for the quality.  Good quality smokes? Absolutely.  $18-20+ per stick quality?  Not necessarily.  So I move down to the undercrowns and enjoy them just as much.  

Again, as BBS said, One mans opinion.

So instead of buying an MB, just buy a Chevy and age it.  Cubans do that too.  :laugh:

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12285]

golfgar said:
So instead of buying an MB, just buy a Chevy and age it.  Cubans do that too.  :laugh:
Friggin classic that reply Larry.

I bought two boxes of Fumas right before they were pulled off the shelves.  I haven't been able to find any since then.  That was one of my top taste to value sticks and I miss them dearly.

Sadly I think this is a industry wide trend to an extent.   A lot of us have bagged on Tatuaje for these exact things, and now everyone else seems to be following the trend.   More "rare" cigars, at higher prices while the quality of the everyday lines seems to be slipping.   I first really noticed it with Pepin, but I've seen a down turn in Fuente and Tat.    I haven't noticed it in Padron, but a lot of my stock is a few years old and I haven't smoked as much new stuff lately. 

Screw all of them!  I'm growing my own tobacco and will begin a grass roots brand soon.

mu mike said:
I have always wondered why I don't smoke more Padrons, but then I read the excellent posts on this thread and remember why.  Even if price was not a factor there are too many other options I enjoy more.

(I am smoking a crap ton of Pepin and Pepin-rolled stuff now, even more so than my beloved Fuentes.)

Ding ding ding!!

:rolleyes:

diapanos said:
I agree.

That's not what's being said here.  It's not a question of affording the sticks, it's a question of quality, line wide.
Bsneed51 said:
Sadly I think this is a industry wide trend to an extent.   A lot of us have bagged on Tatuaje for these exact things, and now everyone else seems to be following the trend.   More "rare" cigars, at higher prices while the quality of the everyday lines seems to be slipping.   I first really noticed it with Pepin, but I've seen a down turn in Fuente and Tat.    I haven't noticed it in Padron, but a lot of my stock is a few years old and I haven't smoked as much new stuff lately. 

I'm afraid you may be right.  Make no mistake, I have considered myself a Padron 'fan' for over a decade, but I just can't wrap my head around the latest boxes I've had.  As I said, I had a box of 3000's that were tannic and bitter.  I gave them away locally.  I bought a box of 50ths that by all accounts (and not just mine), were lackluster at best.  They were "ok" but were they a $25.00 smoke?  Not even close.  So, the latest boxes of cigars from both ends of their line up have really left me scratching my head, and rather disappointed.  Where do you go from here?

Bsneed51 said:

Sneedly hit it here. They attach the story of rarity and up goes the price, but not necessarily the quality.

I think this goes hand-in-hand with the availability of tobacco. With the numerous storms going through these regions in the last 4-5 years, I think some tobacco aging in barns was lost...much like Cuba. The growers have realized that they can maximize their profits in micro-batches of tobacco versus the growing of production tobacco in huge amounts. 

Let's say that you have a parcel lot of tobacco available from Oliva and it's a one shot deal, maybe enough to roll 10K cigars. You can't put it in a production cigar because they can't guarantee to duplicate that lot over the coming years.So, what do you do? You make it a 'one off' cigar with some fancy packaging, attach a story to it making it sound really special, and along with the story....up goes the price. But in the end, it's really no better than a higher end production cigar...like a Padron 5000 or 6000. So instead of a box of 26 at $180.00....you now have that same cigar selling for $325.00 a box of 20 with a small tweak in the blend. This also seems to make sense when you factor in the box sizes. How long have we been seeing 10ct. boxes of 'special cigars' now? Including CC....that's marketing based on the tobacco available...like the Padron 50ths, 10 cigars, $250.00 a box...limited amount of tobacco.

Like I said, the industry has turned more towards a marketing machine to maximize profits per cigar in the 'one offs'....and the quest for the special blend that becomes the rage of the industry has taken a backseat to money. Think about this, if you had a parcel of tobacco that was earmarked for a Padron x000 series cigar and upon tasting it you discover it's nicer than normal....do you really think that tobacco goes to that production cigar? I would venture a guess that the answer to that question is NO. They take that lot and move it over to the department of special cigars blenders and work their marketing magic....and that's where I think the regular line stuff suffers. 

While I haven't had the luxury of smoking the new 50th's, I can confidently say the thousand series patties are smoking great. I've only had one 26 recently, and it too was excellent. Fuentes continue to smoke like Fuentes for me, which is to say excellent. I seriously hope the quality of both brands is in jeprody, and I also doubt it. I do, however, doubt the trend of stupidly priced one off releases is inevitable industry wide. It's already an epidemic as is. No thanks.

bfreebern said:
Screw all of them!  I'm growing my own tobacco and will begin a grass roots brand soon.
I've heard this somewhere before. :whistling: