• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Padron 64 is...boring

DonkeyKong

I'm surprised to say, I smoked my first Padron 64 earlier tonight and was greatly disappointed.  The flavor profile was...boring to say the least. Very little spice, a mild hint of coco, granted a VERY smooth smoke, it left me dissatisfied. 

I'm sorry to hear DK, I'm more of a fan of the 26's actually. Maybe spring for one of those, or a good maddy 40th.

souldog said:
I'm sorry to hear DK, I'm more of a fan of the 26's actually. Maybe spring for one of those, or a good maddy 40th.

I'll be trying out the 26 soon! 

Doc calls it "gustatory hallucinations", and I suffer from it.  But with most Padron cigars, all I get flavorwise is tobacco.  Wonderfully cured and cared for tobacco.  If that's what you're in the mood for, then there are few people that do it better than the Padrons.  If you're looking for something with 7 different flavors then these really aren't the cigars for the occasion.

Was it natural or maduro? I definitely get more flavor with a maduro and am not a fan of the natural. I also like the 64 better than the 26.

Ian

If it wasn't the Maduro, I suggest giving them a second try. The diplomatico and torpedo, in my opinion are great, cocoa, some caramel sweetness, earthy, slight spice. Some people, just as Moe shared, just do not care for them.

Smoke what you like, like what you smoke.

Happy smoking

C

The Padron 64 Natural is a great creamy morning cigar with a cup of coffee, the Principe especially...or a evening cigar (Exclusivo) when you're not looking for something to blow your socks off taste wise. The maduros stand up much stronger and still have that smooth, pure, refined, aged tobacco flavor. Truly the quintessential one dimensional cigar.

Like Clint said, if you're looking for something that tastes like the spice cabinet with 7 different profile changes, this is NOT the cigar for that. It's great at what it does as long as you understand it's intended purpose within your smoking library.

The 64's are good, but the 26's are great.  If I'm paying that much money for a stick, I'm going for a 26 9 out of 10 times.

ironpeddler said:
The Padron 64 Natural is a great creamy morning cigar with a cup of coffee, the Principe especially...or a evening cigar (Exclusivo) when you're not looking for something to blow your socks off taste wise. The maduros stand up much stronger and still have that smooth, pure, refined, aged tobacco flavor. Truly the quintessential one dimensional cigar.

Like Clint said, if you're looking for something that tastes like the spice cabinet with 7 different profile changes, this is NOT the cigar for that. It's great at what it does as long as you understand it's intended purpose within your smoking library.

This migh tbe the most well written post I ahve read in a while....

The 64s as a whole are my least favorite from Padron's portfolio; the 26s have more umph and the x000s with age are a phenomenal bargain, leaving the 64s as the odd-guys out.  I still enjoy them, I just like the other offerings more. 

The biggest caveat is the PAN Principe-- it's possibly my most favorite Padron overall.  As mentioned before, give it a try in the morning with some coffee.  Excellent.

MoeCizlak said:
Doc calls it "gustatory hallucinations", and I suffer from it.  But with most Padron cigars, all I get flavorwise is tobacco.  Wonderfully cured and cared for tobacco.  If that's what you're in the mood for, then there are few people that do it better than the Padrons.  If you're looking for something with 7 different flavors then these really aren't the cigars for the occasion.

That is what I too would describe it, the tobacco taste was bar none, I just prefer a bit of a kick. 

thefatguy said:
Was it natural or maduro? I definitely get more flavor with a maduro and am not a fan of the natural. I also like the 64 better than the 26.

Ian
It was a natural, I will try a maduro.

CMontoya79 said:
If it wasn't the Maduro, I suggest giving them a second try. The diplomatico and torpedo, in my opinion are great, cocoa, some caramel sweetness, earthy, slight spice. Some people, just as Moe shared, just do not care for them.

Happy smoking

C

I will be giving them another try, I just expected a tad bit more of a kick, I like peppery coco cigars. I suppose I shall pick up a maduro,

Thank you all for the replies, I will pick up a maduro at my B&M and return to this review for a second thought. 

CMontoya79 said:

Happy smoking

C
Exactly....had a maddie diplomatico yesterday....not spicy...it really is a creamy smoke. If you want spice, then i think the 1926 is where you want to be....or just smoke anything by Pepin....plenty of spice and pepper notes in all his blends.

....never found any "spice" in a '26, but I certainly agree with Rob on trying anything Pepin for that.

Jonesy said:
....never found any "spice" in a '26, but I certainly agree with Rob on trying anything Pepin for that.
I am thinking a little of a more peppery in the 26 Brian, now that I am thinking aboot it. Subtle pepper....

MoeCizlak said:
I agree with ^^^ for the most part pardons are just straight forward, in my opinion, flawless tobacco. Just like a few other guys, I am more mor a '26 guy and I pretty much only go with maduros in any of Padron lines. I think the natural and maduro are like night and day.

I'm curious how old the stick was?  Fresh from the B&M, or aged for a while....??

Like Tom, I'd be curious to know the source or previous storage (i.e. hot out of the mail vs in the humi a few months).

I find Padron cigars, be it '26/64/1000's to be the most consistent cigar I smoke. Like others have said, I don't always find them to be the most complicated though.

It's been my experience that Padron knows what it is, straight up quality and high standards of quality control, while providing a great tasting cigar and it doesn't try to venture outside of that.

I for one enjoy the simplicity, but would not say they sacrifice flavor in order to get it.

Try another, and like others have said, give the '26 a go. I've had off cigars in every brand and line, it just happens.

Best of luck on the next one.

BlindedByScience said:
I'm curious how old the stick was?  Fresh from the B&M, or aged for a while....??

Couldn't say, it was a gift from NorcalMark (thanks once again Mark), it was only in my humidor for a week or two. It did taste like straight up tobacco, not a bad cigar just wasn't exciting to me. 

DonkeyKong said:

Couldn't say, it was a gift from NorcalMark (thanks once again Mark), it was only in my humidor for a week or two. It did taste like straight up tobacco, not a bad cigar just wasn't exciting to me. 

If it was from Mark, then you know it was properly stored and cared for.  As for age, maybe shoot him a PM (or a call) and see if he knows.