• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Padron 64 Maduros. Wose With Age?

I still think it's nothing short of awesome that this family would care enough about their products to even want to do some long term QC.

Gentlemen.....if you wanted to know where to spend your hard earned cigar jack, I would suggest this is a good example.....:thumbs:

^ Thanks to Keystone_Raider and his amazing Padron sale, I'm stocking up on these guys!

Hey Tom....Spoke with Jorge. Send me 2 naturals and I'll be taking it to him next week. He wants to smoke them to see what you're talking about. Needless to say, they'll be replaced. Thanks.
This makes me want to buy more Padrons. Kudos to Jorge and Israel.

I'm more familiar with the regular line but in general, I find Padrons don't age well - they tend to lose their taste and go flat. I recently had a 1926 that I'd been saving for 2 - 3 years. Major disappointment - no taste of any kind.

My local has a box of 2000's that she believes are about 3 years old. She opened them about 3 weeks ago to sell for singles and I ended picking one up for a quick car ride smoke. Holly crap was it good. Up to that point I havent really been a Padron fan "young and stupid", but since then Ive been in love. I'll be curious to try the 3 year old single I have left compared to the fresh box that I have coming in the mail.

Wow, what timing. I just bought a 26 and a 64 sampler.(haven't arrived yet).....I guess I'll have to smoke them in a hurry....Oh Damit!!!! :whistling:

I will let you guys know, Anthony is bringing a full spread of the single band 1964's for us to do a vertical testing in Vegas.

You need to store them around 69%-70% RH and not in a coolidor. If it is too dry and too cool, the oils will leave the wrapper and your Padrons will get a dry look to them. 6 months is all these puppies need (just to stabilize from the shipping), anything more will change the flavors.

You need to store them around 69%-70% RH and not in a coolidor. If it is too dry and too cool, the oils will leave the wrapper and your Padrons will get a dry look to them. 6 months is all these puppies need (just to stabilize from the shipping), anything more will change the flavors.

Where am I supposed to keep my boxes then? ???

Who told you this....??

NOOOOOOOOO, you smoke 4 a day and after 6 days, there is no box to worry about. Simple.

Who told you this....??
Yeaaaaaa I don't think the ideal smoking RH for these is that high, in my experience tends to make padrons more bitter. Also fwiw Tom sent me my first natural 1926 a number of years ago so I think he probably knows a thing or two about long term padron storage. I will defer to his take

I have always kept Padrons for a few years, and was very happy with how they smoked. I Have always honestly thought that we have to consider a distinction between preservation, and aging.
Wouldn't it be reasonable to surmise that lower humidity will hasten oil loss, and higher levels retard oil loss? In my own experience, with most smokes this seems to be the case, as I alway try to preserve.
That said, others have already mentioned how much aging the various Padron Lines go through. In that respect, I think that threw me a curve. Up to date, I would have to say about 2 or 3 years max, for the top shelf smokes, have brought me acceptable results. I have only had a few older than that, and they were not very good. Fresh boxes still taste the best to me.

The curve I did just experience a first in that I opened a box of 1926 #6 Maduros that I bought within the past 2 years. These are my favorite cigars, and I've smoked hundreds of them.
The first one I smoked was EXTREMEL:Y floral. I did not enjoy it at all. I smoked another be sure, and sure as shinola, both were the same.
I have kept #6 longer, and never experienced this. Stored at 69% dead nuts humidity.
So, a pile of money, possibly down the tubes. Only choice I have is to let them sit a year or two, and see if they improve.
Not quite sure what to think at this point. Bad batch? Inconsistent results based on crops? These are definitely a differant animal, and I think that in the future, I will try to smoke them within 2 years.

I'm guessing this probably has to do with the age of the tobacco before it is rolled. Don't the 64's use 5yr old tobacco, the 26's 8yr and the Family cigars 10yr old? This is going off the top of my head but those have to be close. With that age of tobacco, I don't think these are made for deep sleeping, but rather to smoke now. It would be interesting to see a 10yr old x000 series compared to a fresh 1926 Serie. I'm almost done with my box of 2007 2000's, I don't know if I can make it last. :blush:
Moe, I think you hit the nail on the head and this is the angle I'm looking into behind the scenes. The 64 / 26 / LE smokes come "pre aged" and are in their prime. I believe that putting them down for a couple of years is counterproductive. I'm still researching this......:cool:

Hey Tom....Spoke with Jorge. Send me 2 naturals and I'll be taking it to him next week. He wants to smoke them to see what you're talking about. Needless to say, they'll be replaced. Thanks.
Israel, you rock hard. Glad to send the two along to you (last of that box, actually). Needless to say, if the Padron family is curious, replacement isn't something I'm concerned about. Folks that care about their smokes.....really pleases me. I love their stuff and will be a Padron customer for some time. No worries there.

Nice move Is! I've been to the factory in Miami as well and Jorge and the family are one of the most sincere cigar makers I have come across who truly care about their product and what the consumer thinks at all times. Quality and consistency are their trademarks and to see they are concerned to the point of how their cigars age over time is a testament to how far they reach out. Good stuff to hear.

From my experience, I think the 64s and 26s are perfect right out of the store. I have to agree that Padron pretty much did the work for us. The original line on the other hand I think needs some time to rest.

All this being said, is it presumably better to smoke up all the aged stuff? Whatever line it may be? How much longer should you really NEED to rest the 10-15 year old stuff???
I can remember smoking the partagas 60th anniversary (pretty sure that's what it was) and it seemed like it was well past it's prime

I've come to a conclusion and I'd like to see if anyone else out there thinks the same. Do you think the Padron 64 maduros actually get WORSE with age???
Chris
Having had some that are quite old, I can say with some certainty that hell no, they do not get worse with age.