• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Padron Quote

I don't what he is saying is that all NCs are worse than any Cuban. I think what he's trying to say is that he could make an even better cigar in Cuba, that Cuba has natural advantages and if he put all the work he does with his non-Cubans into a farm on Cuba, the cigar would simply be better. I feel like that's a huge distinction and is very realistic.

Q: Then, have you created a replacement for Cuban cigars?

A: No, I haven't. Cuba will always be Cuba. What we are trying to do is equal, not surpass, Cuba. We will never be able to outdo Cuban cigars.

I think he wants his land back. :)

I'd disagree with him; I think the 1964/1926 lines have indeed surpassed a number of Cuban brands in terms of taste. They certainly have in terms of quality/consistency.

I don't what he is saying is that all NCs are worse than any Cuban. I think what he's trying to say is that he could make an even better cigar in Cuba, that Cuba has natural advantages and if he put all the work he does with his non-Cubans into a farm on Cuba, the cigar would simply be better. I feel like that's a huge distinction and is very realistic.

Exactly my thoughts

Man...I'm salivating at the thought of having a Padron blended Cuban with Padron level construction.

I'd disagree with him; I think the 1964/1926 lines have indeed surpassed a number of Cuban brands in terms of taste. They certainly have in terms of quality/consistency.
Agreed. The construction and consistancy of the premium Padron smokes is second to none. And, to my developing palate, they are the equal of many of the Cuban brands. Better than many, IMHO.

FWIW - B.B.S.

Agreed. The construction and consistancy of the premium Padron smokes is second to none. And, to my developing palate, they are the equal of many of the Cuban brands. Better than many, IMHO.

FWIW - B.B.S.

I love Padrons but their caps are ugly, the Cuban triple cap is way more classy and tougher.

I love Padrons but their caps are ugly, the Cuban triple cap is way more classy and tougher.

I'm less concerned with the cap (which you cut off anyway) than the consistency and draw of the smoke.

I'm less concerned with the cap (which you cut off anyway) than the consistency and draw of the smoke.

The cap prevents the wrapper from unravelling, which I've seen happen a few times... that said, they are still my everyday smoke, and I love them.

If Padron and Fuente were ever able to go to Cuba and mfg cigars there, then we would see a whole new type of Cuban cigar. It would still have the flavor of Cuban tobacco, but it would also be the best constructed cigars as well.

I for one would never give up my Padron 1964's or Fuente Don Carlos and Opus, and I don't think they would ever stop making them.They would put quality control into the Cuban industry because no one would buy poorly constructed Cuban cigars if they had the choice of buying Fuente and Padron made Cubans.

I think he is saying what it says he is saying. Cuba will always be the benchmark and the best they could to is equal them but they will never exceed them because it's impossible. The Cuban soil is too amazing ect ect.

It's funny that he feels this way yet his fans think they are better than Cubans. I know the clerks at my local cigar shops are always telling me they are better anyway. I think an argument could be made that they are equal. In the end it's all a matter of ones opinion. I'm getting deja vu discussing this. I do however respect him for relating his honest opinion even though it could cost him some money. He sounds like a good man and I think I will continue to support him because of it. :thumbs:

I wonder when that quote was made, 'cause I'll take a 1964 or a 1926 over a Guantanamera any day! Or Cuaba, or, Cohiba, or Fonseca or........

I think he is saying what it says he is saying. Cuba will always be the benchmark and the best they could to is equal them but they will never exceed them because it's impossible. The Cuban soil is too amazing ect ect.

Or you could be reading too much into it. :) This is what they said about French wines alone a few decades ago, btw... same thing about the soil, the tradition, etc, etc.

It's funny that he feels this way yet his fans think they are better than Cubans.

So you're saying there's not a single cigar from Cuba that you feel is lesser than a Padrón 1964 or 1926? Not one cigar line/brand?

I agree completely moki. Imagine if, after 9/11, we had an embargo against French products, like freedom toast, freedom fries and French wines. What do you think Americans would be saying about, say, French Margeauxs or really an St. Emilion red? It wouldn't negate the fact that we'd still have plenty of Tuscans - and who with a straight face is going to say that every French wine made is better than every Italian wine made? I doubt it would happen immediately, but after years of gourging on freedom fries, freedom toasts and freedom kissing our girlfriends or wives, the legend would grow, and voila.

Or you could be reading too much into it. :) This is what they said about French wines alone a few decades ago, btw... same thing about the soil, the tradition, etc, etc.

It's funny that he feels this way yet his fans think they are better than Cubans.

So you're saying there's not a single cigar from Cuba that you feel is lesser than a Padrón 1964 or 1926? Not one cigar line/brand?

I think what Fyodor is saying, and I agree with him, is that in Padron's opinion his cigars don't surpass Cuban made cigars. Fyodor finds this funny because even though the maker doesn't think the cigars he makes are better many of the people that smoke his cigars do.

I for one would take a 64 or 1926 over damn near any cuban made, granted I haven't had more than a handful of isom's to date but the Padron's are currently my favorite smokes.

It’s all about personal preference boys and girls.

I really like Cuban cigars, but I think that the quality of certain NC’s has surpassed MOST Cubans. We have such a variety of cigars to choose from these days, probably more than another time in history. I believe that there is greater care being taken in the growing, fermenting and rolling of some NC’s, better then anything being produced in Cuba today. That does not mean that some folks like Cuban’s better than NC’s and visa versa.

It’s all about personal preference.

It’s all about personal preference boys and girls.

I really like Cuban cigars, but I think that the quality of certain NC’s has surpassed MOST Cubans. We have such a variety of cigars to choose from these days, probably more than another time in history. I believe that there is greater care being taken in the growing, fermenting and rolling of some NC’s, better then anything being produced in Cuba today. That does not mean that some folks like Cuban’s better than NC’s and visa versa.

It’s all about personal preference.

I agree, well said. I also believe that the line between Cuban and non-Cuban cigars is an artificial one. There are good and bad cigars from both places; there are cigars you'll like, and cigars you won't like from both places.

10 Signs You are Smoking a Bad Cigar
Written by Jesse Nachtigal
Wednesday, 16 November 2005

1) You bought it at a gas station.
2) The other flavors available are Grape, Chocolate and Banana.
3) The guy on the beach assured you that authentic Cubans only come in glass-top cases.
4) Your cigar is rolled so tight that after lighting it you feel confident you could easily get that golf ball through the garden hose.
5) When other cigar smokers ask you to put that "Dog Rocket" out.
6) It is the only cigar in your humidor that the beetles didn’t eat.
7) Plume isn’t green and you shouldn’t be seeing colors.
8) They used a naked chick to advertise it, no paint doesn’t count, she’s still naked.
9) You are a bit suspicious about those rare plastic-tipped Fuentes your friend sold you.
10) The review in the latest cigar mag mentioned something about oak leaves wrapped around canine fecal matter.

With that said... personal preference comes into play with all things.(yes - all!) Personally - I put a cigar down if it tastes bad.
Padron's are very good - specific ISOM's are better...some are not!

Rather than put Padron up vs' all ISOM's - how about just Padron vs. Partagas ...hmmmm maybe a good idea has spawned for a PASS... :D

Any FOG want to help me on this one?

my 2c
Gary

I believe that there is greater care being taken in the growing, fermenting and rolling of some NC’s, better then anything being produced in Cuba today.

This is the key point. There is more care in the growing, fermenting and rolling of the NC's than alot of the Cubans and yet, the Cuban cigars are STILL great quality. I think the point is if a family like Padron or Fuente would instill THEIR quality control over cuban tobacco, the result would surpass any cigar in production today. That is due to the fact that Cuban soil can produce the best possible tobacco for cigars. The fact that they skimp on quality control and STILL produce great cigars just goes to show you the potential that the tobacco has to produce the best cigars in the world.

I wonder when that quote was made, 'cause I'll take a 1964 or a 1926 over a Guantanamera any day! Or Cuaba, or, Cohiba, or Fonseca or........

This quote from from CA just a few months ago.

I believe that there is greater care being taken in the growing, fermenting and rolling of some NC’s, better then anything being produced in Cuba today.

This is the key point. There is more care in the growing, fermenting and rolling of the NC's than alot of the Cubans and yet, the Cuban cigars are STILL great quality. I think the point is if a family like Padron or Fuente would instill THEIR quality control over cuban tobacco, the result would surpass any cigar in production today. That is due to the fact that Cuban soil can produce the best possible tobacco for cigars. The fact that they skimp on quality control and STILL produce great cigars just goes to show you the potential that the tobacco has to produce the best cigars in the world.

This quote from from CA just a few months ago.

One thing I've noticed about the Cuban culture is that they are a very proud, humble, and generous people. I'm sure Padron made that statement out of respect and admiration in regards to their roots and the way of life that used to be - once upon a time...