• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

paging the cohiba esplendido experts...

puffnstuff

altruistic pervert
first of all, my name's emmett and I'm a newbie here, but I've been reading the forums a bit and this seems like a great place to learn and meet other cigar fanatics. I hope to eventually be part of a pass, but all things in due time.

anyway, here's my situation:

I'm pretty new to the world of cigar smoking (6 or 7 months), and in my inexperienced ignorance early on, I made the all-too-common mistake of purchasing a box of cohiba esplendidos (or what I thought was a box of cohiba esplendidos)...ok ok, everybody get their sighs of annoyance and giggles out of their systems...
since I live in the US, and purchased the box from somebody also in the US, I now know that that is already a red flag, but now that I've done a bit of research on authenticity vs. counterfeiting, I've got a pretty good idea of what to look for...and I've got to say, if this box (and/or cigars) isn't authentic, then the counterfeiters deserve an award for their effort. everything seems to check out; seals, stamps, hologram sticker, serial numbers etc. etc.. the cigars look and smell good and have consistant color and shape with what looks like good construction, nice triple-caps and such. but since I've never smoked (or even seen) an esplendido, I wouldn't ever know for sure if these are real or not.
I haven't smoked any of the cigars from this box either, so I don't have an opinion on them yet, myself. I guess I've wanted to wait 'til I know what it is I'm smoking. even if they are good, I'd still love to know whether I'm smoking a real esplendido or not.

here's what I'd like to do:

I want to send one cigar out of this box to two different people who consider themselves experts of esplendido authenticity (experts with actual experience in smoking esplendidos, not just others like me who have done tireless research online, and know how to spot an obvious fake). I'll send photos of the box, and anything else required to make a determination on authenticity. all I ask is that the experts check out the cigar and any photos they request, and let me know their opinions.

all I can say is that I wouldn't waste anyone's time if there were something about the box or it's contents that indicated obvious counterfeiting. I'm asking this favor because I feel that it deserves further scrutiny by the real experts- namely, the ultimate test of seeing, smelling & smoking the cigars themselves.

please, I don't need a "talking to" about how dumb I was to buy them in the first place. I've not since even bothered with trying to obtain anything cuban. for that I'll wait 'til either the embargo is lifted, or I make a trip to havana, myself.

so then, feel free to respond here if you're an expert with experience on authentic esplendidos, and you're sure that you can give me a definitive assessment.
part of the reason that I'd like poeple to respond here, as opposed to e-mailing me directly, is that I don't really know people here yet, and I wouldn't know if some other newbie was e-mailing me saying that they're an expert (when they're not). on this forum, I can sorta rely on others to vouch for the expertise of those who will help me.

my regular ISP's mail server has been down for a week (and what an absolute nightmare that's been!), so until that is fixed, those who wish to e-mail me directly can do so at- emmett09@yahoo.com

thanks for reading, and thanks in advance to those who will help me on this.

I'm glad to have found the CP community, and I'm sure I'll have numerous further questions to ask of the experts here.

have a good one.

emmett.

I would help you out, nut I have never really like Cohiba's. Some one will take you up on it though.

Emo

Hi emmett!!

Welcome to CP!! I wish I could honestly say that I could tell a real Cohiba from a fake but I don't think I can. I really wonder if any of the Cohiba's I've ever smoked have been real. ??? This is the main reason I avoid Cohibas like the plague and Montes for that matter. It seems the more popular the brand the more likely they are to be fake. My favorites are:
Vegas Robaina
San Cristobal
Saint Luis Rey
Ramon Allones

With those four brands, I have smoked enough of them to tell if they are real or fake immediately. Again, with Cohibias, I'm not as confident.

Getting back to your question, there are quite a few people around here who can. I hesitate to name specific members at this point because they might be too busy (or just plain have too many of their own cigars to smoke :D ) to want to do a taste test of a questionable cigar.

I think you have a good plan, let some CP members post here who are intersted in doing a confirmation post here and then you can choose yourself :thumbs:

cheers, coventrycat86!

I definitely know what you mean about avoiding the (cuban) cohibas. and with the esplendidos possibly being the single most counterfeited cigar out there, even I can have a good laugh at myself for the imaginary "blow pop" I've got written on my forehead for buying them.

and thanks for your recommendations. I'll have to make a note and try and track those ones down sometime soon. do you know of a reliable online shop that you'd recommend ordering ISOM's from? (keeping in mind that I'm in the US, which might make my asking moot, I suppose)

I can understand the experts being too busy to help, so I'll not hold my breath. and man, how much I would love to have the "problem" of being too busy with too many fine cigars to smoke! =)

emmett.

I'm not the best candidate on the board by any stretch of the imagination but if you can't find anyone else willing let me know. Esplendidos are my favorite cigar but I've only been smoking them for less than a year. However, I have smoked a lot of Cohibas in the past year or so :D There are folks on the board that have been smoking Esps for years so you'd be much better off with one of them. I'm pretty sure I could tell a fake but I've never had one so who knows. Anyway, good luck on your project.

Pictures of the box and cigars would help too. I'd be happy to sample one for you, but will only allow it on a trade basis. SO, PM me and we can work something out.

Matt R said:
Pictures of the box and cigars would help too. I'd be happy to sample one for you, but will only allow it on a trade basis. SO, PM me and we can work something out.
There you go puffnstuff. Our resident Cohiba expert has stepped up. Your search is over. Nicely done Matt :thumbs:

nice nice. thanks guys.
yeah, I'll be more than happy to take as many photos of whatever part of the box and anything else you might need. in fact, my guess is that we could possibly avoid wasting your time by sending you any/all the photos before I send the cigars out if you can rule out all possibility of authenticity with just the photos.

so then, I'll be PMing you, Matt R.

and, lukasbuck, if you're up for it, it sounds like you probably have enough experience if they're your favorite and have been smoking them for almost a year.
so, I'll contact you too.

my hopes aren't high at all, but I'm looking forward to putting this little mystery to rest.

thanks again.

emmett.

I highly recommend Matt R & lucasbuck :thumbs:

These guys will get to the bottom of this ;)

PuffnStuff, a good indicator of authenticity is the sales price. If someone offers you a genuine box of Cohibas for under $300, unless they were gifted to them or it was stolen, you better be suspicious. Cohiba Esplendidos costs nearly $300 at a legal factory store in Havana. Keep that in mind.

Through the years, counterfeiters have gotten better at their craft, although they always make some small silly mistake. If all the packaging is correct, then you have to inspect the cigars themselves. If everything checks out, then you still have to smoke at least 1 cigar to be sure. Cuban tobacco has an unmistakeable aroma and flavor that can not be counterfeited.

It's really a shame that people have to go to these length to determine whether they have the real thing or not. :angry: Counterfeiters have gotten so damn good at deception that you litterally have to be an expert on Habanos anymore. Really sad.

The best news is that the largest Cuban cigar counterfeit ring was busted in Miami a few months ago. These guys were responsible for a very large share of the counterfeit market. They were busted with more than 3 million assorted bands and boxes. Good Riddence. :sneaky:

Puffnstuff, I really hope your Esplendidos are real. There is a chance that they are. Good Luck!

Gael

thanks for your response, Gael.

yeah, not long after I made the purchase I became aware of the ice-cube's-chance-in-hell one has of obtaining authentic havanas from damn-near *any* source in the states.

I completely agree with you that it's a shame that people have to go to this length to find out whether they've got the real thing or not, but I accept full responsibility for my ignorance back then, and thus helping the counterfeit market thrive.

so, it's a classic case of "if I would've known then what I know now", but hindsight's always 20/20. (and with that, I *must* be nearing the record set for most clichés used in one post)

if these turn out to be fake, which I'm definitely planning on, I'll be another pathetic statistic, but I'll have a whole new appreciation for the effort put into making these things look authentic, and as a result, the amount of scrutiny that I will have applied to any future box of (real) havanas that I buy will be almost ridiculous.

of course, it's a catch22 since until I've actually *smoked* confirmed-authentic havanas, I won't truly know one way or the other.
(time for some more applicable clichés)
chicken before the egg? cart before the horse? etc. etc.

I very much look forward to the day when I don't have to rely on other far-more experienced smokers, like Matt, to make a determination for me.

it's great news to hear about that big counterfeit ring getting busted.
now if there was only a way to educate/preempt the entire world of prospective buyers about the rampant counterfeiting...

it's interesting that (seemingly) the entire world knows about the glowing aura that is the reputation of havanas, yet many people interested enough to try to buy them don't know (or ignore) that counterfeiting is as common as it is.

emmett.

puffnstuff said:
thanks for your response, Gael.

yeah, not long after I made the purchase I became aware of the ice-cube's-chance-in-hell one has of obtaining authentic havanas from damn-near *any* source in the states.

I completely agree with you that it's a shame that people have to go to this length to find out whether they've got the real thing or not, but I accept full responsibility for my ignorance back then, and thus helping the counterfeit market thrive.

so, it's a classic case of "if I would've known then what I know now", but hindsight's always 20/20. (and with that, I *must* be nearing the record set for most clichés used in one post)

if these turn out to be fake, which I'm definitely planning on, I'll be another pathetic statistic, but I'll have a whole new appreciation for the effort put into making these things look authentic, and as a result, the amount of scrutiny that I will have applied to any future box of (real) havanas that I buy will be almost ridiculous.

of course, it's a catch22 since until I've actually *smoked* confirmed-authentic havanas, I won't truly know one way or the other.
(time for some more applicable clichés)
chicken before the egg? cart before the horse? etc. etc.

I very much look forward to the day when I don't have to rely on other far-more experienced smokers, like Matt, to make a determination for me.

it's great news to hear about that big counterfeit ring getting busted.
now if there was only a way to educate/preempt the entire world of prospective buyers about the rampant counterfeiting...

it's interesting that (seemingly) the entire world knows about the glowing aura that is the reputation of havanas, yet many people interested enough to try to buy them don't know (or ignore) that counterfeiting is as common as it is.

emmett.
:> Thread Jack On <:

You are very eloquent with your words. So you see why this group is protective of those we feel don't cut the mustard. There are some here, who feel myself or others are too rash in our dealings with others on this board.

There is a lot going on here at CP. It is the job of each that want to keep this board the best on the net, to speak up if they feel something is amiss. This board is self moderated for the most part, which is good, because otherwise a lot of hate and discontent would be aimed at the moderators. I don't mind taking the heat for speaking out, some times colorfully, about what I see as questionable.

I don't mean to hijack your thread, but this was a golden opportunity to preach to the disciples, so to speak. I by rights am no FOG, just an interested partner in CP. I wan't to make sure that the hard work put in by Rod is taken care of. :thumbs:

Emo
:> Thread Jack Off <:

hello there, emodx.

I think I understand what you're saying, but I'm having difficulties understanding how any of it applies to me and/or this thread at this point.
if anything I've written has been ambiguous, then by all means ask me to clarify.

I've been a member of CP for mere moments compared to you and others, it's not my nature to come bashing into an established community with anything but respect and honesty.

so far I really like it here. I've learned so much just by observing and reading the archives. I've got no intention of becoming somebody that you or anybody else here needs to protect CP from.

I can take criticism, so let me know what you feel is amiss or questionable about anything I've done or said.

thanks.

emmett

puffnstuff said:
hello there, emodx.

I think I understand what you're saying, but I'm having difficulties understanding how any of it applies to me and/or this thread at this point.
if anything I've written has been ambiguous, then by all means ask me to clarify.

I've been a member of CP for mere moments compared to you and others, it's not my nature to come bashing into an established community with anything but respect and honesty.

so far I really like it here. I've learned so much just by observing and reading the archives. I've got no intention of becoming somebody that you or anybody else here needs to protect CP from.

I can take criticism, so let me know what you feel is amiss or questionable about anything I've done or said.

thanks.

emmett
I am not pointing fingers, just pointing out how unscrupulous people pass off cigars for either fake, or not worth the price of admission. But for those who have been around understand the corollary, your thread is right on time.

Emo

emodx,

again, I don't understand how what you're saying applies to me or this thread.
is it possible that you're jumping the gun here?

I can absolutely understand why me being a newbie is worthy skepticism, especially if it were a case where I was offering something for trade or sale, but I'd respectfully suggest that you read (or re-read) the thread a little closer if what you've gathered is that I'm trying to "pass off" anything, or that I'm coming across as unscrupulous.

I simply asked for help in determining the authenticity of what I have.
those who offered their help seemed to understand that perfectly well.

would it make you feel better if I said straight-up that whatever is determined by the person(s) checking them out for me, that I'm not going to be offering them for sale or trade? if so, good...I'm now saying, on-the-record, that I have not offered, and will not be offering, these (probably fake) esplendidos for sale or trade.

also, it's not necessary to have been here from day one to know that shady folks come and go. again, I've read some of the archives, and I see that there have been problems with people who have tried to pass off less-than-authentic cigars (ahem..."cohibin"?). the distinction to be made between me and them is that I'm not trying to pass anything off.

if they're fake, fine, I've learned a lot with my own first-hand experience.
if they're real, I'll consider myself one of the rare-as-hen's-teeth lucky people who didn't get taken, and I'll actually have a box of cigars that I can enjoy and begin to learn to appreciate real havanas.

emmett

Dude, this has nothing to do with you, except for the fact that you think your cigars was sold to you by an unscrupulous merchant. In no way am I insinuating that you are something that you are not. Not once did I say you are trying to pass off a cigar, an idea, or anything else, that isn't genuine.
Emo

Emo> did you dip into that home brew beer again, or was it Pappy's Moonshine this time? ;)

I am sure you have a point bro, but I'll be darned if I can get a handle on it this time. :0

PuroBrat said:
Emo> did you dip into that home brew beer again, or was it Pappy's Moonshine this time? ;)

I am sure you have a point bro, but I'll be darned if I can get a handle on it this time. :0
Where I was going with this is this: There has always been a problem with unscrupulous retailers. And certain individuals hear have eitehr sold or tried to seel cigars that are not what they clim to bo. He happened to post a thread about Cigars he felt were counterfeit. I made a comment off his post about unscrupulous people and the fact that I am pretty open about revealing about someting I felt that was not right.