• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

paging the cohiba esplendido experts...

emodx said:
Where I was going with this is this: There has always been a problem with unscrupulous retailers. And certain individuals hear have eitehr sold or tried to seel cigars that are not what they clim to bo. He happened to post a thread about Cigars he felt were counterfeit. I made a comment off his post about unscrupulous people and the fact that I am pretty open about revealing about someting I felt that was not right.
hmmm...interesting.
but isn't it common knowledge here that there's a problem with scrupulous retailers? I mean, does that require repeating here, in this thread, now? it just seems unnecessary, and, dare I say, slightly off-topic.
isn't it also well known here that "certain people" have tried to sell, or have sold, cigars that aren't what they were claimed to be?
I really am trying to grasp how any of this is/was necessary at *this* point, in *this* thread.
(granted, maybe that's what you meant by "hijacking" the thread)

(by the way, is it proper etiquette *not* to refer to people who have sold or traded counterfeits here by name? just so I'll know.)

to correct, or at least clarify, your comment (at the risk of monotony on my part)-
"He happened to post a thread about Cigars he felt were counterfeit."

no, I asked a favor of the more-experienced here to help me determine whether or not they're fake...not to imply that I think there's much of a chance otherwise. I don't think anybody here (myself included) is waiting on pins and needles to find out whether or not they're authentic. if we've learned anything from the past on this matter, chances of a verdict other than "fake" are all but zilch.
but as I clearly stated before, if they're counterfeit, the counterfeiters did a good enough job to make me feel justified in asking for help from the more experienced.

really, that's all.

and I will post the (probably anti-climactic) verdict once the jury is in.

emmett.

I think I can see where you were going Emo, I was just, to use a familiar term, "Bustin ya Ballzak" :p :D

Anyway, I dunno Emmet, the ones you have could be real, hell man, they make and sell a bunch of the real thing too ya know. Yes, there are a lot of fakes, but I like to keep a well opened mind until the verdict is in.

PuroBrat said:
Anyway, I dunno Emmet, the ones you have could be real, hell man, they make and sell a bunch of the real thing too ya know. Yes, there are a lot of fakes, but I like to keep a well opened mind until the verdict is in.
I hear ya, PuroBrat.
there's always that remote inkling of a possibilty that's fun to hold on to.
kinda like buying a lottery ticket...only I like my chances just slightly more with the latter! =)

(gee, am I a "cup-is-half-empty" one, or what?!)

and hey, emodx, whatever the case, I want you to know that I do respect your position on calling things as you see them. I've got an appreciation for people who are blunt when necessary.

emmett.

Emmet, for the third and last time, my post had nothing to do with you. I am not calling you unscrupulous. I was just trying to connect what may have happened to you, with recent events here at CP. And I did put in my post that I was thread jacking. I didn't intend for this to get way off the path of your post. Other than that, I am finished here. If you feel you need to discuss this any more, please PM me.

Emo

Calm down ladies..... from some research I've done, and shared with puffnstuff, there's a real high chance these are legit. Still gotta put one to the real test though.

Hmmm, this thread certainly took an interesting direction. Go figure ??? ;)

If it turns out they aren't Cohibas you can always put HdM bands one them! :lookup: :p

(this is a joke about Cohibin :angry:, not about puffnstuff :))

Gael said:
Hmmm, this thread certainly took an interesting direction. Go figure ??? ;)
you've got full concurrence from me, Gael!
couldn't have caught me more offguard.

emodx, I think we've done beat this dead horse unrecognizable.
I have this obsession with trying to make sense of everything (especially if I'm involved), which is why I responded to what you were saying about 3 times too many. I've got to learn to just let things go sometimes.
so, there's no worries on my end.

the good news is that I finally got PM working last night, so if you or anybody else wants to contact me via that, feel free.

anyway.
here's to getting back on track...
here's to the fact that the weekend's (almost) here...

emmett.

other1 said:
If it turns out they aren't Cohibas you can always put HdM bands one them! :lookup: :p

(this is a joke about Cohibin :angry:, not about puffnstuff :))
haha!

you know, I've considered cracking a joke or two like that just for the sake of lightening things up on this thread a little...

I decided against it for the same reasons I don't make "bomb jokes" when passing through security at airports these days! =)

glad you took the initiative, other1!

emmett.

well, ladies and gentlemen, it appears as though my pessimism was for nothing...

I received word on this already-gorgeous saturday afternoon from our resident Havana expert, Matt R, that I've got myself a box of authetic Cohiba Esplendidos!

along the way, Matt did a bit of research on the stamps on the bottom of the box, and heard back from the owner of the chain of shops (Caracol SA) in Cuba, where the box apparently came from.
while smoking the cigar, Matt got a 2nd & 3rd opinion from a couple of his friends, not as though Matt's assessment wouldn't have been enough, but just that much more of a comforting confirmation.

he said it looked & smelled nice before smoking it, and while smoking it he noted that it lacked some of the creaminess that he's used to in the more aged Cohibas that he smokes, but that that is something that might develop with some time, as these cigars are quite young.

so with that, I'll be tucking them in for a nice hibernation in my humidor, and I, myself, will sleep *very* well tonight.

I told myself that I wouldn't gush here about Matt's generosity with his time and wisdom (both of which he shared), and I know his reputation needs no stroking, so I'd like to just simply say-
thanks again, Matt!

emmett.

Hip, hip hooray! :D Splendid news! IMHO you are in for some of the finest smokes made today. Congrats. :thumbs:

:D
thanks for celebratin' with me, lucasbuck!

I'm going have to exercise some serious willpower to *not* smoke through them before they come into their own.

...back to the nicaraguan puros for now! :p

emmett.

Good News Emmett. I'm glad to hear that your Esplendidos are genuine. Enjoy them. Remember that if you were to die unexpectedly, ??? someone else would have the pleasure of smoking them and not you :angry: - so enjoy them soon. For me, Esplendidos smoke best with 18-24mos of aging although they will remain excellent for several years. Store them at 65% RH MAX- but smoke them at no more than 62% RH level in order to get that full Cuban flavor experience .

ENJOY! :p

Gael

Gael gives good words of wisdom here. When I have Cubans to smoke, I use a dry box and put my cuban in the dry box for a few hours prior to smoking it. I use 65% beads in my Humi, so after a few hours in the dry box (an empty VSG box) they smoke like a dream come true.

Gael said:
Remember that if you were to die unexpectedly, ??? someone else would have the pleasure of smoking them and not you :angry: - so enjoy them soon. For me, Esplendidos smoke best with 18-24mos of aging although they will remain excellent for several years. Store them at 65% RH MAX- but smoke them at no more than 62% RH level in order to get that full Cuban flavor experience .

ENJOY! :p

Gael
thanks tons for the advice, Gael.

excellent point about the "if I die unexpectedly..." scenerio.
I like the idea of being able to look forward to smoking them while I'm still in my early 30's! :)

and your advice about RH storage/smoking seems to be on point with many others here.
I've been closer to 68%-70%, and incidentally, just yesterday I did the salt test on my digital hygrometers and found that the one I've been using for months has been reading about 2% low ??? and the radio shack model I picked up the other day is coming in 6% low! so I'll be taking that one back, trying another, and making the necessary adjustments to get my humidor closer to 65%.
I think I'm going to have to look into those climax beads that everybody here thinks are the bee's knees.

as for smoking them at 62%, how does one know when they're at that RH? do most people who like to smoke them at 62% keep an "on deck" humidor at that RH?

thanks again

emmett.

PuroBrat said:
Gael gives good words of wisdom here. When I have Cubans to smoke, I use a dry box and put my cuban in the dry box for a few hours prior to smoking it. I use 65% beads in my Humi, so after a few hours in the dry box (an empty VSG box) they smoke like a dream come true.
aha!
you a mind-reader PuroBrat? answered my question before I asked it!
and thanks!
that makes perfect sense to me...and awfully easier and less expensive than keeping a quarantine humidor at 62%.

man, if I had a nickel for all the priceless things I've learned since joining CP...

emmett.