• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Pairing to WildTurkey Russels Reserve

theginguy

The family is having a get together Easter. I thought I would buy a bottle of Wild Turkey Russel's Reserve. I've never tried it before. I absolutely can not stand Wild Turkey 80 or 101. But I'm hoping Russel's Reserve will be more to my liking.

Anywho... I'm trying to think of a good cigar or two to go with the Bourbon. I was thinking maybe something with Sumatra or Cameroon. Maybe a Nub Cameroon, or a Rocky Patel Renaissance, or a Hemingway?

Any suggestions?

One question does it absolutely have to be WT Russels Reserve? I ask because I think there is way better bourbons at that price point.

One question does it absolutely have to be WT Russels Reserve? I ask because I think there is way better bourbons at that price point.

I agree. I have a bottle in my cabinet, and I am trying to finish it off so I can go buy something else. It's not a bad bourbon, but it isn't a great one either.

Are you talking about the old 10 yo 101 proof version or the new 90 proof one? The older version will need a stick with some kick to it IMO. An LFD would work well. The newer version isn't quite as good for some reason, at least the few times I've tried it.

Are you talking about the old 10 yo 101 proof version or the new 90 proof one? The older version will need a stick with some kick to it IMO. An LFD would work well. The newer version isn't quite as good for some reason, at least the few times I've tried it.

I'm not a big fan of WT, but I've never tried the RR. But I might just go and buy myself some Eagle Rare 10 single barrel after some of the above comments. :) I know what I'm getting with ER.

LFD sounds good. :)

Thanks.

X2 on the LFD. I would recommend a Double Ligero Chisel.

If you've never tried it before, you might consider trying Four Roses single barrel as well. Distribution was increased vastly in the past year so it may be locally available, and it is an outstanding bourbon.

I have to admit, WT101 is a staple around my house; still one of my fave sipping bourbons for the price. RR and their Rare Breed are nice as well. For a smoke you'll want something with some "testicular fortitude". An LFD would do it; so would a '64 Maduro of some shape.

Haven't seen Four Roses locally. Would love to try it.

Cheers - B.B.S.

Buy some Rye and help fuel the American Rye Revival.

Doc.

X2 on the LFD. I would recommend a Double Ligero Chisel.

Fewwww...... I don-no about all a that yo. :) Thats a little strong for me.

Devil Doc said:
Buy some Rye and help fuel the American Rye Revival

I prefer lot's of rye goodness myself. I believe Eagle Rare has a pretty high rye %, at least it tastes like it to me. :)

If you don't like regular Wild Turkey then I'd probably try something different than the Russel's Reserve. I like the 101 for making Manhattans and other mixed drinks. Its got a good kick and good flavor for a good price!

Another thought I had was, is the bourbon and cigars for just you or is it for friends/family also? A strong cigar and higher % bourbon might be way to much for some people. I can't really imagine any cigar going well with a 108 proof bourbon. Whatever you smoke will be way over powered I would think.

I was thinking if it was for you and others, that maybe you should whip up some Manhattans. Those go great with MANY cigars (its my favorite smoking drink!), its simple to make a good one, you still get plenty of flavor from the bourbon, also it doesn't overpower most of the medium body + cigars.